2013 5.0 coolant leak. Not the usual suspects

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 5.0 coolant leak. Not the usual suspects

Hi Guys. 2013 5.0

At 60k miles I had the faulty O ring seal at the top of the engine in the plastic "Y" replaced that and it was good.

About 70k miles the water pump completely crapped out. Replaced that and was good.

108k miles I have now developed a leak with the truck just sitting. Hasn't moved for 2 days and the temps dropped below 30*.

I cannot see anything from the top of the engine. But if you go down below it appears the coolant is dripping from the front of the engine. Onto the flange of the oil pan, and dripping from both sides of it. I cannot see where it's coming from because of the oil catch/drip tray.

Does anyone have a guess where it might be coming from? I'm guessing it's another O ring since it seemed to happen when temps got cold and the truck hasn't moved.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's probably the coolant Y-pipe again. It wouldn't be the first time I'd seen one fail after a year or so. Take off your intake tube for a better look.

Someone really needs to make an all-metal Y-pipe so we don't have to keep dealing with this crap every other year.

Also, your water pump completely crapped out at 70K? Mine did it a little after 60K. Weird. Must have been a bad batch of impeller bearings in 2013.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 14" of snow fell the other night, no way was i going to be rolling around and looking for this leak now. Ended up taking it in to a repair shop.

They ended up replacing the O rings on the upper hoses and around the thermostat housing. He said he could see the housing was wet.

O rings, coolant and labor came to $200.

Hopefully that's it.

Yeah, right around 70k I replaced the water pump. The shaft bearing was sloppy as heck and coolant was coming out pretty good.

My guess was Chinese bearings.

Pretty funny how some classic cars still have original water pumps many miles and years later, but with today's technology, we get 70k miles and 7 years of use.

And what the Hell was wrong with using a hose clamp? The O rings replacing them was a complete failure. Unless their goal was to force you to replace the coolant every couple of years. If that was the goal, they totally nailed it....

Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 coolant leak. Not the usual suspects