lost bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost bolt

i have a 2001 f150 2wd 4door.. had the pass side cam out to inspect the journals and replace timing chains.. i dropped one of the cam bolts over the top of the motor.. i have borescoped the cyl's, the oil drain holes, and under the plenum but no luck locating it.. crank turns ok with no indication of something inside, but i hate to button it up til i have found it.. i really think it is between the heads under the plenum.. but as the plastic is all broken apart in there it is difficult to inspect fully... any ideas

Old 02-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you get a thin flexible magnet and go fishing under the plenum. Or panty hose on the end of the vacuum.
What plastic broken up?? If it is part of the plenum, then you'll need to replace it anyway.

How big is the bolt?? Have you checked to see if it is hung up on the many cranny's on the outside the engine?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks.. got a better magnet and found it under the plenum.. the debris in there was the loose intake gasket material.. but i have another question.. on the rh intake i have been clearing the oil passages.. there is a small 1/4 in hole in the head near the front cam bearing that seems to be a straight shot from the tensioner and / or the first lifter.. is it supposed to be restricted or plugged with something?
as this side may have run with little oil just want to verify the purpose for this hole before closing the motor up

Quick Reply: lost bolt