2000 F150 blown out spark plug HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 blown out spark plug HELP!

Its happened twice to me already, is there a special way to put in a helicoil or what? Is there an alternative to having to remove the heads in order to fix this problem???

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
a heli coil is not the proper way to repair the blown out plug. and the tap can come in contact with the valves if your not careful with them
http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/images/100_8592.JPG.

you need a time sert when they blow out.

http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/ these guys know what they are doing maybe search for answers on the site.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 PM
wow i never even thought about the tap hitting the valves! Ive got one more question for you though, i thread the spark plug in the hole and it torques down and everything but as soon as i start my truck i can hear the blow by coming right out the plug hole. What does this mean?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
so it blew out of the hole and you could still torque it down? never heard that happening yet. it didnt blow back out? you definately have a problem if you can hear it coming from the plug. you sure its coming from the plug and not an exhaust manifold gasket leak? if its coming from the plug it means its not sealing in the hole. its either not threaded in all the way tight or the hole or plug are really screwed up.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:47 PM
thats what i said, im 95% positive its the plug because when i pulled the coil off the rubber booty was all thrashed and melted... could it be possible that the plug hole is to big for the plug because of the tap or something? I dont know what to do!

Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jeremy338
thats what i said, im 95% positive its the plug because when i pulled the coil off the rubber booty was all thrashed and melted... could it be possible that the plug hole is to big for the plug because of the tap or something? I dont know what to do!
is the helicoil in the hole right now? if the hole was tapped and the heli coil isnt in yet then it will leak because the helicoil make the threads smaller. but the plug will wiggle and i dought you could torque it down with too big of threads. with a helicoil you almost have to have the tap perfectly straight or the plug will get threaded in at a slight angle and it wont seat properly. who did the work? if it was done with the right parts then everything should work properly with the stock plug.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
i cant see the helicoil... so basically what could possibly be happening is the plug is threading in to the threads used for the helicoil is that a possibility?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jeremy338
i cant see the helicoil... so basically what could possibly be happening is the plug is threading in to the threads used for the helicoil is that a possibility?
yup. all the helicoil is is threads that go into threads. if it isnt threaded all the way in then the plug wont seat properly. and the plug can only thread in at the angle the helicoil was put in. who put the helicoil in? i'd talk to them just to be sure. if you did it then i'd make sure it was in all the way.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You might want to call the guys at blownoutsparkplug.com and see what they think. It may be worth using their services. They aren't cheap, but it beats replacing the head. They have an oversized insert.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
You might want to call the guys at blownoutsparkplug.com and see what they think. It may be worth using their services. They aren't cheap, but it beats replacing the head. They have an oversized insert.
Pull the plug and look to see if the plug it self is not leaking. If the plug is broken it may be leaking past the porcelain. If the helicoil worked its way out it may be stopping the plug from seating ans allowing a leak.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 AM
thanks for your help you guys, im definitly going to call blownsparkplugs.com and see what they can do or tell me what i can do.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:18 AM
they make a kit to fix it, there is a self threading insert, a different spark plug and coil boot

Old 03-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
You do realize you resurrected a thread that had been dormant for ten years, I hope....

Originally Posted by bobwhitecar
they make a kit to fix it, there is a self threading insert, a different spark plug and coil boot
Those things have a very spotty record.

More than half of the inquiries for rental of my Timesert kit have come from guys with a re-blown cheap repair kit from Dorman or Helicoil (or the like).

Last edited by projectSHO89; 03-01-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 blown out spark plug HELP!