4.6 performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F150redFx4
I had an 02 fx4 on 35s went through the same battle. I put headers true duals cold air intake bored out throttle body throttle body spacer port and polished intake elbow and a php tuner with custom tunes and it made quite a difference it would definatly get up and go
All that, and only 2 of those things (maybe only 1 depending on whether you went with long tunes or shorties) made a gnats *** worth of difference, performance wise.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 PM
It all added up and the custom tunes brought it together. I don't condone throttle body spacers but I got it for 20 bucks cause the guy just had it chillin on his shelf for a couple years. So it couldn't hurt seeing I was putting the bigger throttle body on anyways. Polishing up the elbow was free seeing I did it my self. The long tubes and true duals went great together. Sounded great to.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
all the more reason for a gear swap when running larger tires

Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Here's $.02 worth of input- for all it's worth...

I run the 4.6L in my 2002 SCrew with 6" of lift on P315 75R/16's (35's). A real dog it was...

I stepped up the diffs to 4.56 Posi and ordered a simple canned tuner from Hypertech- the MaxEnergy. For the first few months, I ran the regular gas upgrade but found my truck runs noticeably better on 89 octane so I've been paying that little premium happily. Then I stepped up to the premium fuel tune and spent the additional few bux a tank for that extra octane. Even better. My shifting is firmed up, I adjusted the shift points, and the truck is a bit more unleashed.

Currently, I am pleased with it. It's a 4.6 pushing a lot of truck and tire, but it's plenty agreeable for the money I have in pocket to sink into it. I get off the line very well and get up to and maintain highway speeds without much effort. But, with us guys, there is always going to be that time down the road when we want more...I am perfectly aware that I will one day grow past my current tolerance of about a 12 HP gain and seek more. For the moment though, I am sinking a couple hundo into a CAT-back exhaust upgrade and see how that satisfies me.

I'd love to put in the money for a better tune, but I'm ok with what I got, it's ample enough for now. You know...some folks are fine with the simpler stuff. Besides, I got some hunting to do and a new bow is on the list of needs, so I curtail where I can.

Next year, I may have a totally new outlook though.

Quick Reply: 4.6 performance