2003 5.4L 2V Tick/Knock Only After Warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhh man that's rough, all that work and resorted back to making noise....kinda gotta wonder if the that side cam is able to walk back and forth too much, like a thrust bearing on a crank shaft, only on the cam. & what brand of parts did you use?

Agreed that maybe both sides should be done together

Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the slow response, I took my time on the repair. The issue turned out to be a bad left tensioner. I purchased the new tensioner kit from Advance made by SA Gear. They stood behind the purchase, replacing the left lower guide first, then the whole kit this last time. The thing purrs like a kitten now. I currently only have about 3K on the new set, so I guess the jury is still out on the repair, but I think it's ok. Also, I dropped the oil pan (very easy procedure) and cleaned the screen during the repair process. Thanks to everyone for the help and input. If anyone wants to see pictures of the pickup tube and pan, just let me know.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by bradform
I have a 2003 Ford F-150 with a 5.4L 2VL Triton at 236K. The truck up to this point has been rock solid, with little issues mechanically. The first major repair I encountered was a leaking intake gasket and eventual blown head gasket (RS#1&2). I worked on the truck myself and made the following repairs: Completed the head job using a fel-pro head kit. I had the heads checked and shaved along with new valve seals. I also replaced the timing chains, sprockets, guides and tensioners. The guy who worked on the heads had a time with the lifters and had to soak them for a week to get them back up. I decided not to go into the bottom end as I have had no issues and the truck used very little oil before the repair. After the repair, I have put approximately 20K on the truck with no issues at all. However, the truck has recently developed a slight tick/knock after it reaches operating temperature. It is silent at startup and purrs like a kitten until it gets warm. There seems to be no issue with power and the truck runs fine with the knock, even on long trips. I would say that the knock has gotten a little louder over the past few months. I am at a loss as to the cause and would like to see if anyone else has any suggestions. My suspicions are as follows: 1. Maybe the tiny bolts on the timing chain guide have backed out (very low torque required) and are causing an issue with the chain slapping. 2. Maybe a valve train issue (lifters)

Morris
Hi All, i am having a similar issue. Maybe u can help me? Ive replaced phasers, Timing Chain, tensioners, guides, oil pump w mellin 360, VCT solenoids, and water pump. All (except oil pump) parts are OEM fomoco parts. Install was done by a ford tech on the side. The video link below is the noise. It will only do it after a drive. The dark video is after idle for 20 min then a 10 mile trip. During idle i cycled thru gears, drove in driveway a bit and not a sound. After going don road n back i have the noise in the video. My tech and i were all over the engine w a stethoscope and cannot locate where it’s coming from. Top or bottom all sound good. Only hear liquids flowing or injector tick. Help please

Old 11-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brad V
Hi All, i am having a similar issue. Maybe u can help me? Ive replaced phasers, Timing Chain, tensioners, guides, oil pump w mellin 360, VCT solenoids, and water pump. All (except oil pump) parts are OEM fomoco parts. Install was done by a ford tech on the side. The video link below is the noise. It will only do it after a drive. The dark video is after idle for 20 min then a 10 mile trip. During idle i cycled thru gears, drove in driveway a bit and not a sound. After going don road n back i have the noise in the video. My tech and i were all over the engine w a stethoscope and cannot locate where it’s coming from. Top or bottom all sound good. Only hear liquids flowing or injector tick. Help pleasehttps://youtu.be/0yOe5sG5WWw
Both side done, this is only photo i have. No sludge found. Cam looed good and lash adjusters looked good.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Brad, this thread does not apply to your situation. If you have a 3 valve engine, it's a whole different animal. You need to start a thread in the appropriate forum and also identify your year and engine.

Quick Reply: 2003 5.4L 2V Tick/Knock Only After Warm