Codes P0345 and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took truck in back in Feb. and the shop went through everything to see why the code kept coming back. After cleaning the connectors and the sensors they found some shavings and suspected it was the timing chain and glides. They determined that this did not have to be fixed immediately. After several weeks now of the truck running great the engine light came on this morning and its the same p0345 code as before. They now think the chain and all that goes with it has to be changed....ugh! I am on the fence about this because it is not certain that this is the problem. My truck has 170K on it so.....is it time to get rid of it or start the dumping $$$ into it?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Much as I like Fords, the 5.4 3 valve is a turkey - I'd start looking for something else.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 PM
k_h
Sorry to bring this up but thought I'd bring some closure to this post.

I finally got around to replacing my timing chains, chain guides, and tensioners. While I was at it, I also replaced my oil pump with ford racing high volume high pressure unit. Upon removal of the old guides, the right side stationary guide was busted. Left side was actually still good. So maybe right side skipped a tooth and gave me those codes? I dunno. I started Sunday and finally buttoned everything up just now. Started her up and she's quiet. No check engine light thank god.

Now, I didn't use cloyes 9-0391SB kit. Instead I went with 9-0391SX that has the metal tensioners minus the crank gear.

Anyway I'd thought I give an update.

Idle oil pressure. When I give it gas it pegs the gauge.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job!

Old 02-03-2016, 12:05 PM
k_h
Originally Posted by nu-supercrew
Nice job!
thanks!

PSI actually dropped to 30 at idle once i took it out on the road and monitored it. better than the 19/20 psi I was getting before.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM
P0345 after rebuild

I just completed a total rebuild on my 2007 F-150 5.4. It sat with the ECU unplugged for a couple months. Now it has a P0345 code and idles rough. I can clear it but on the next start, it shows back up, I disconnected both vct solenoids and both cam sensors, no change, same code. I was told a while back that it takes time for the computer to relearn but that sounds kinda sketchy at best. Any advice?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:44 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0345

You have a camshaft position sensor issue on the driver's side. It's the sensor or its wiring.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by glc
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0345

You have a camshaft position sensor issue on the driver's side. It's the sensor or its wiring.

Ive checked both. Swapped the sensors and even replaced both. My question is why doesn’t it throw codes when I disconnect the passenger side(bank 1). Could this be as simple as a bad ECU?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:52 PM
so I guess I get to jump in on this one. '05 f150 175000 miles, newer timing chains, guides, phasers, phaser solenoids, and others. Empty cats, new fuel filter, new starter, new alternator around 2000 miles ago. p0345 and p0349 codes. Switched cam position sensors side to side. Code stayed on bank 2. If I unplug bank 1 sensor, pending codes count up so fast I cant read the screen. unplug driver side, codes stay the same, no count-up. 2 stored codes, no pending codes. have read theories on faulty phasers causing this problem. supposedly this is a circuit problem. So if this is a circuit problem, how can mechanical fixes fix it? I have attempted to trace the wires from sensor to pcm so I can run a continuity test, but I can't find an accurate pinout diagram for a 2005 5.4 4wd lariat. Any help?

Old 04-20-2018, 12:36 PM
update, I ran forscan on my 2005 f150 5.4. got some results I don't know what to make of. From what I have read, the spark advance is determined from the cmp outputs. My scanner live data shows there is no activity at all on the vct outputs at all rpm's. I get spark advance ranging from 10 degrees to 36.5 depending on the rpm's, but no vct advance. Bad harness? bad pcm? HELP! traced the bank 2 cam position sensor wires and they show good, the ground circuit might have issues. don't know where to go from here.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 AM
P0345 and P0349

Hey everyone, I have a 2007 5.4l XLT and have been down the rabbit hole of the P0345 and P0349 with rough idle. I did everything that everyone has said above. Replaced battery, starter, alternator, checked all connections, and even had the cam phasers checked out with no damage or anything noteable. I had my truck taken to 3 mechanics who all just wanted to replace the sensors which was done and still persisted. I finally took it to a guy who had a Snap On diagnostic computer which said THE CATS ARE BAD! These trucks have a bad habit of messing up cats due to bad spark plugs or coils. (My truck did have some worn down spark plugs when I bought it used). Needless to say I replaced the cats, one of which was completely collapsed and the truck has been running great ever since. The mechanic said that the clogged cats caused bad back pressure into the engine which messed with everything including the timing which threw the codes, and the rough idle and loss of power was the truck doing into limp mode. Anyway this is just my experience and hope it helps.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:28 PM
You don't need a top of the line snap-on scanner to diagnose these problems. You can see live data and vct pids with some pretty cheap tools. Find someone who knows what they're doing/looking at and stop guessing at sensors just because that's what the codes verbage says. That's not what the code means - what it means is the sensor data is out of spec. Monitoring pcm activity and giving a thorough inspection will uncover the issue. It's over/under advanced we already know that.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=tecurry;5233905]so I guess I get to jump in on this one. '05 f150 175000 miles, newer timing chains, guides, phasers, phaser solenoids, and others. Empty cats, new fuel filter, new starter, new alternator around 2000 miles ago. p0345 and p0349 codes. Switched cam position sensors side to side. Code stayed on bank 2. If I unplug bank 1 sensor, pending codes count up so fast I cant read the screen. unplug driver side, codes stay the same, no count-up. 2 stored codes, no pending codes. have read theories on faulty phasers causing this problem. supposedly this is a circuit problem. So if this is a circuit problem, how can mechanical fixes fix it? I have attempted to trace the wires from sensor to pcm so I can run a continuity test, but I can't find an accurate pinout diagram for a 2005 5.4 4wd lariat. Any help?[/QUOTE

Old 11-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by tecurry
update, I ran forscan on my 2005 f150 5.4. got some results I don't know what to make of. From what I have read, the spark advance is determined from the cmp outputs. My scanner live data shows there is no activity at all on the vct outputs at all rpm's. I get spark advance ranging from 10 degrees to 36.5 depending on the rpm's, but no vct advance. Bad harness? bad pcm? HELP! traced the bank 2 cam position sensor wires and they show good, the ground circuit might have issues. don't know where to go from here.
any update ?

Quick Reply: Codes P0345 and P0349