Codes P0345 and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
k_h
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Codes P0345 and P0349

So I did a driver side cam phaser change this past weekend. Marked the timing chain, cam, and cam phaser then transferred the marking to the new cam phaser.

Truck runs great, no more tapping. No hesistation but I get those codes. I've tried searching but everyone that has those codes, their trucks are running rough. Checked all my connections. I didn't have any codes prior to changing the cam phaser.

Thoughts?

Mahalos.

Thinking camshaft position sensor maybe bad.. or bad connection...

Last edited by k_h; 10-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Have you tried clearing them and seeing if they come back?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 PM
k_h
Originally Posted by glc
Have you tried clearing them and seeing if they come back?
yup. disconnected the battery let it sit.. come right back. Clear it through the Edge programmer comes right back. When I clear it though it'll stay off till the next time I restart the truck.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You have a problem in the driver's side camshaft position sensor circuit.

P0345 Ford - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Bank 2

Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Variable Cam Timing (VTC) Solenoid
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

P0349 Ford - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent Bank 2

Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Variable Cam Timing (VTC) Solenoid
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 AM
k_h
Thanks. Kinda figured its a bad sensor

Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 AM
k_h
Got a new camshaft position sensor.. same two errors... cleared codes and swapped with the other side but still get codes for Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Bank 2. I'm thinking can't be the sensor now.. don't know how to test for a break in the circuit any ideas? Truck still runs fine. Battery is maybe a year old... VCT's are probably 3 mos old..

ideas?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm with you K.H. I just had the timing chains and front end redone two weeks ago. All of a sudden, BAM!, error codes. I just replaced the sensor yesterday and still the same codes. I'm starting to wonder if I've got a bigger problem.....

Old 10-31-2013, 02:07 AM
k_h
Originally Posted by Ahrens02
I'm with you K.H. I just had the timing chains and front end redone two weeks ago. All of a sudden, BAM!, error codes. I just replaced the sensor yesterday and still the same codes. I'm starting to wonder if I've got a bigger problem.....
Does it drive like normal? no problems idling or driving?

Today I checked the wiring from the sensor connector to the PCM, all good. No breaks in the line. Next step is to get the alternator checked. A faulty generator in the alternator can cause those codes.....

Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a circuit fault, ie,- wiring or connector more likely. A bad sensor is a possibility, but usually there's other DTC's that point directly to the sensor.

Test continuity on the harness wires and move the harness around while doing so. The 16,18 and 20 gauge wires tend to separate inside the insulation over time.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 AM
k_h
Originally Posted by jbrew
It's a circuit fault, ie,- wiring or connector more likely. A bad sensor is a possibility, but usually there's other DTC's that point directly to the sensor.

Test continuity on the harness wires and move the harness around while doing so. The 16,18 and 20 gauge wires tend to separate inside the insulation over time.
Thought so too but wires checked out good from PCM connector to CPS connector. Only thing I can think of now is a generator went bad in the alternator..

Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I'm actually going to test the ground just to make sure. K_H, it wouldn't surprise me if the alternator was acting up.....again. This truck has went through 4 of them already. I've never been a fan of Ford electros. I've owned 3 Fords now and the only one that didn't give me electric issues was my Ranger. Go figure!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 PM
k_h
Lol I've had no problems in the past with my 5.0's and my SHO... This F150 is starting to be a pain... Love the looks of the truck... just hate the damn engineer that developed this 5.4L and the program manager that approved it..

So far truck still runs ok.. no stalling issues or idle issues... seems lacky on the top end like the power isn't fully there... not sure if that's because I was running with a crappy cam phaser for a while vs the new one I just put in.. dunno.. What gets me is how fast the codes pop up when you clear it.. the seat belt light barely has enough time to go out before the check engine like comes on..

Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Well I ended up taking it to th e dealership and the mechanic asked me if anyone had opened the front end before. "Yep. Remember I said we did a timing chain". He tell processed to tell me that what I saw with the timing didn't really happen. Like some kind of damn magic was performed without me knowing it. Basically I just said screw it bc I don't feel there's anything really wrong. The timing was advance by maybe 2 degrees, which may be what's honestly throwing the code. Anyhow, unless the thing leaves me stranded I'm gonna just leave it alone and pray.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM
k_h
I haven't had time to get the alternator checked out yet... maybe i'll have time this weekend... but so far truck is running fine... no idle issues... no hesitation issues...

Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
same problem

im having the same problem in my 05 expidition and another symptome to add when i get up to 40 mph i starts to shake the car and wont shift down and have the same codes p0345 and p0349 i have replaced crank shaft sensor, both cam sensors, and both vct solenoid

Quick Reply: Codes P0345 and P0349