4.6 3v - P0018 & P0305 - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4.6 3v - P0018 & P0305 - HELP!

Truck:
2010 F-150
4.6L 3v
approx. 50,000 miles

Here's the scoop...

Wife has my fathers truck out of town (250mi away)... She went to start it yesterday and said it had a terrible clunking noise and a shake. CEL on and blinking. (when she parked it earlier that day, it was fine) She turned it off and on 2-3 times and it sounded the same each time. She started it around 30 mins later it sounded better but not 100%, shaking gone, but it was lacking power. CEL constant on.

Gurus, what is it?

Blinking CEL im guessing was the misfire and the P0305 code. At 50k miles a new set of plugs would not hurt... did it roast a coil? is the 4.6 3v known to eat them? (I'm used to VAG vehicles and they eat them like nobodies business)

Lack of power and clacking noise is the? cam position sensor? (guessing) Is this a known issue with these? a quick google returned cam phaser issues of the earlier 4.6. I thought I read something on the 3v in the past but was unable to find it. Truck has been reasonably maintained seeing oil changes every 5k or so.

I am trying to get a feel for the issue, how hard it is to fix, whether or not it can be driven the 250mi home or if I should have her put it in a shop there... or if I need to drive up and take care of it... If option #3: what all tools are involved.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Code, P0018..crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation
(bank 2 sensor A).

Code, P0305..cyl #5 misfire detected.

Is it still under warranty?
I wouldn't drive it very far like this so personally I would get it to a dealer or certified mechanic and determine what the actual problem is.
The other option is as you mentioned for you to drive to her and repair it yourself before driving it home.
It sounds like this happened on startup so I would also beware of a possible hydrolock. This can be caused from a stuck open injector, water ingestion, internal coolant leak. I would first pull #5 sparkplug and inspect for fuel, water, coolant. If you find any of these fluids in the cyl then a compression check would be needed. Then try switching COP's around and determine if the missfire follows the #5 COP.

I just realized you sent this question on the 19th and today is the 23rd so you probably have determined the cause already..but just in case you haven't...lol

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-23-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply DYNOTECH.

My first reaction was for her not to drive it as well but, at the time she was stuck in an area she was uncomfortable with hanging around and only about 2 miles from her hotel. During our initial phone call she had started it again and it acted normal so I had her drive it back to the hotel. It made that trip fine but according to her was lacking power. Her perception of power might simply have been the difference between a my father's 4.6 & 3.31 rear end vs our 5.0 & 3.73? I dunno. I personally still have not had a chance to drive it, at this point I don't think I have a reason to but I remember the 4.6 3v having some spunk, enough that I am surprised the wife noticed the difference. Shes not one to usually push a gas pedal...

Anyways, she ended up making a series of short trips (trip to the hotel, trip to Autozone for codes, short test drive) and each time the truck acted fine, on the way back from the test drive the light went out. At that point, I figured if the light was happy, then I was too (enough to not have to waste a day, drive 8hrs, and burn $100 in fuel). She drove it the last couple days from her hotel to the conference, it continued to act normal. I talked it over with my father and we opted to have her drive it back the 250mi to the parents house whom we are visiting. It made the trip fine (that was Sunday) and its going to a local trusted indy shop tomorrow.

I'm not sure about the warranty. We have not bothered to dig out the paperwork yet. The parents are in the middle of packing and moving I'm not even sure they know where that info is ATM. I guess the estimate will dictate how hard/fast we dig. LOL.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Powertrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles, so it should be covered.

Quick Reply: 4.6 3v - P0018 & P0305 - HELP!