cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
cleaning throttle body

I have been reading alot of threads onhere,i guess a way to maintenance my truck. it is a 06 5.4 4x4 auto with 91000 mi. one thread got me thinking it was changing the serpintine belt. so i did what a pita to get the idler to move. started with a 1/2 ratchet,nope, went to a breaker bar, nope,put a 1 inch dia. 16 inch long pipe cheater on the breaker,that worked. first off,should the idler be that tight? 2nd been reading several threads on cleaning the throttle body and maf.some have said to remove the throttle body. is that required. also cleaning the maf. i build and restore older pre 60 carb. cars,not up on any of the newer stuff (injected). those we can spray carb cleaner down the throat of the carb,or dribble trans fluid down the throat of a running hot engine to clean up carbon build-up in the cyl. looking for a little advice on cleaning the throttle and maf. this truck has 91000 mi. oil has been changed every 3000. only prob. in that time was a bad coil that you all helped me with last week. thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Remove+unplug the TB to clean and use TB cleaner...

The best reason I can come up with for removal is that you don't want the excess solvent sitting in a plastic intake....

Remove+unplug the MAF to clean and use MAF cleaner.....

I've never had any issues with a belt tensioner....just used a breaker bar....that's it..

Another thing is to change the fuel filter....

Quick Reply: cleaning throttle body