97 4.6L windsor top end rebuild issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97 4.6L windsor top end rebuild issue...

Howdy,
I recently bought a 97 F150 (4.6L Windsor, Styleside, Extended Cab, 4x4). I picked it up for cheap due to the fact that it needed some work...mainly, it needed head gaskets, manifolds and a thorough tune-up (it has 160,000 miles). I've rebuilt my share of motors and was confident that I could do the job. That said, I've mainly been a Jeep guy so I am a bit new to the Ford motors in general.
I recently stripped the engine down to the block, cleaned and checked the valves, rockers, replaced valve seals (all within spec... according to Haynes) and reassembled the heads. I cleaned the block and checked the pistons and rings and all is well there too. I put the heads and fresh gaskets on along with new head bolts. I put the timing back together (according to the Haynes manual) and the crank turned freely two revolutions. I put the valve covers back on, intake, ect... I replaced the thermostat with a new one as well as new oem spark plugs and wires as well...put a new oil filter and oil pressure sending sensor on...filled the radiator and replaced the belt and tensioner...
So...here comes the panic!!!
I went ahead and tried to start it...and...I hear what appears to be a "valve slap" of some sort...the engine was turning over but wouldn't fire...so I let it sit for a second and checked for any leaks...I went to attempt to start it again and ... NOTHING!!!
I'm assuming that this is a timing issue but I'm not exactly familiar with Fords just yet...I'm hoping that someone here may have a few ideas so I can get this up and running! I'm sure that I'm forgetting something...
Thanks ahead of time!
D

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you set the timing correctly? if you were off by one or two links of the chain it will do what it is doing.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I did, I'm going to tear it apart and make sure in a few minutes. From my understanding, from what I've read about this particular timing setup, the crank won't manually turn over if it isn't timed correctly. Nonetheless, I'm concerned that I may have bent a valve, is that possible? I only turned it over a few cranks then stopped...Then it froze up! Is there a better writeup or instruction to timing the Windsor 4.6L than the Haynes manual?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks fellas...so I just tore it apart and....my dumb *** put the crank position ring in backwards...Luckily, I have found all of the pieces and it only broke one of my timing chains and didn't gouge anything! Now the trick is going to be trying to find a ring! What a mess!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Lucky you! I was thinking piston to valve.....

Do a little research on this, you can replace the old style ring and gears with updated and superior pressed steel ring and one piece gear. It would only make sense if you were adding power though.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM
So was I!! I dodged a bullet on this one...$22 and I'm back in the game! However, I'm going to look into your advice for future reference. Now that I've torn this apart a couple of times, I know I'll be adding to it and tweaking it sooner than later. I have never been one to leave good enough alone!

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Liphter
I have never been one to leave good enough alone!
Ahhh and the sickness begins

You can only leave your truck alone for so long before you develop a twitch...

Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM
glad to hear it was just something small like that, make sure none of the "teeth" on the crank gear sheared off and fell into the oil pan.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Well....Here's an unfortunate update for everyone...I got the ring, out it on and all back together. Tried to fire her up and....clankity clank clank..! So...I tore it all down, as I was doing so, I noticed a "bleep" load of antifreeze in the bottom of the pan! That led me back where I began and with a knot in my stomach, I tore it completely down....again...I took the passenger side head off (one of the rockers had broken off and three had fallen off!! You know what that means!) and to my amazement....The number one and four pistons were ****eyed! Now I'm boned! So now I've got to do a valve job, two pistons and rocker arms and I don't have a lift or engine stand! F...M...L! Any suggestions? Thanks again,
D

Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd cut your losses and go get a good used boneyard engine - and rent a hoist.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with glc. The head/heads are probably beyond repair at this point (at least cost effective) and with coolant in the oil pan you now have other issues going on. A Romeo or Windsor 4.6 will bolt right in. Timing as you are now aware is critical with these engines.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Well...I'm headed to the local salvage yard to see what I can work out with them. The good news is that a buddy of mine went in on a hoist and engine mount with me so it should go quick from here! I hope! I'll let you know what's happens....
Until then...

Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Soooooo.....I'm in definite need of some advice!!! I was trying to piece this together on a minimal budget (no choice)...and...well, now I'm really boned!!! I yanked it, did a valve job...cleaned/honed the cylinders as best I could in my shop...put two new pistons with .010 over rings...cleaned everything!!! Snapped it all back together...and...it cranked...but...didn't fire! Worse yet, it spat fluid/water (used water J.I.C to save money...I had a feeling I knew what would happen!) out the passenger side exhaust manifold after I tried turning it over and I could hear fluid draining into the oil pan again!!! Obviously, my passenger side head is SHOT but I'm curious if replacing just that one is worth it or do I somehow have to try to figure out how I'm going to afford a new/used engine. If I do have to do that...any suggestions on the best pricing for a reman/rebuilt/used motor? I don't have much but at this point I don't have much of a choice it seems! Is it worth looking into the 5.4? I appreciate your input...

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Read posts #11 & #12 above again....advice is no good if you won't listen. Go get some prices on a good used 4.6 engine and start over. Yes a 5.4 will work but you're having enough trouble with just a straightup 4.6 swap... keep it simple at this point. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 97 4.6L windsor top end rebuild issue...