Power Building tips for a 300 I6 ? ? ? circa '96

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-1999, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power Building tips for a 300 I6 ? ? ? circa '96

Any body have any power building tips for a Ford 300 inline six motor that is currently residing in a '96 F150.

Not looking for any wild bore or stroke or blower kits. Just simple boltons formore power and hopefully economy when NOT on the loud pedal.

thx

Old 10-12-1999, 09:12 PM
Look for a company called Clifford Performance I6's are their specialty.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031
pud@iainc.net" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031
pud@iainc.net</A> -- Kennesaw GA

Old 10-14-1999, 12:06 AM
Lightbulb

Darin is right, Clifford has just about anything you could want. You can contact them at:
Clifford Performance
2330 Pomona-Rincon Rd.
Corona, Calif. 91720
Phone: (714) 734-3310
Fax: (714) 734-8407

I have a '95 F-150 w/300ci/5 spd. I have tried many different things, but the ones I'd recommend are a K&N fipk, # 57-2503, a Jet computer chip, #89504, and Champion Truck Plugs. I also added a Crane Cams Fireball PS-91 coil, but didn't really notice much difference. I tried a Crane HI-6 Ignition box that I had out of another vehicle, and it ran worse. Hope this helps.
Take care,
-Chris

------------------
'95 Eddie Bauer F-150 SC & '64 Falcon/Ranchero
-------------------------------------
Are you A.S.E. Certified ? If so, ask me about
iATN...the best tool you'll ever have ! ! And it's
free

Old 10-14-1999, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear VancouverBC,

Clifford has a lot of great things for the "Big 6", ranging from camshafts to headers, etc.

On any computer controlled engine, there are 3 basic areas that tend to give the best horsepower gains per dollar spent. Those are: 1.) The Superchip - it adds 14 hp and 31 lbs./ft. of torque to the 4.9 300 cu. in I-6 engine. 2.) Cat-back exhaust system - I prefer Jardine, since they make more power than anyone else in most applications, figure 8-10 hp. They have a web site at: www.jardine products.com, and they are located in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. If they don't have a system for your truck, then Gibson would be my second choice. 3.) Something to reduce restriction on the intake side. This could be a K&N air filter, or, if there is a kit available to eliminate the restrictive factory airbox, like the great Airaid kit sold right here in the F150online store, or if K&N makes one of their F.I.P.K. kits (same thingas the Airiad, eliminates the factory airbox), then that would be worthwhile. Figure 5-10 more hp.

Doing these 3 things is fairly inexpensive, you can do them in any order you choose, and each of them will tend to help gas mileage a bit as well. I would do one thing at a time, so you can get a good feel for what each change did for you, and if you still want more after that change.

Make sure you have a fresh set of spark plugs and spark plug wires. We recommend using the new Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs, and either Magnecor or Accel spark plug wires.

From there, tackle the ignition with a hotter coil and ignition module, and I would suggest using either the Accel 300+ system, or the appropriate MSD brand components,any of which you can find in Jegs or Summit Racing catalogs.

As you can see, there are plenty of easy and affordable bolt-ons you can install on this engine. The 4.9 has a low rpm power range, so it's generally set up to be a low-rpm torque producing monster, which is does very well.

And if, after you do all the bolt-ons, you find you still need more performance, Clifford can take you just about as far as you want to go with those engines!

Have fun, and I hope this information helps you a bit,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Power Building tips for a 300 I6 ? ? ? circa '96