hard brake pedal and no idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard brake pedal and no idle

Hi to all.I just replaced a cam phaser on the drivers side of my 05 5.4 after reading all I could on this sight.Many thanks it went pretty smoothly except for one thing.The brake pedal is really hard and it won't idle for very long.When doing the phaser work I disconnected the vacum line from the brake booster. There was pressure there when I disconnected it but nothing now.I'm assuming my issue is vacum related. The line starts off as rubber from the booster and then connects to a metal line that tees off.A smaller rubber line goes to some kind of electrcal gadget above the valve cover on this same side and the other side of the t continues on between the back of the motor and the firewall where it feels like it connects to another rubber line. From there I don't know where it goes.The service engine soon light is now on but I need to wait till tomorrow to borrow a scan tool.Any help would be great and I really appreciate all the information on changing the phaser.That side of the motor seems quiet now and will be doing the passenger side soon.It would be nice to have brakes first without busting a nut pushing the pedal.Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may not have vacuum to the booster and a pretty good vacuum leak.
recheck, might have left something off.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I just double checked everything. The only thing I notice is that vacum line that goes behind the motor feels loose. So I pulled it up and I can see where the metal tube hooks to the rubber line I'm assuming it then goes to the intake. I hope it didn't pull out of the intake or t off somewheres.It was stiff when I moved it and then it just went loose.Totally not sure

Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The brake booster should have a dedicated line (nothing else hooked to it). Might want to re-double check everything.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 AM
The line is disconnected behind the motor.I disconnected it at the booster and blew back through it.Can clearly hear the air in back of motor.How the hell do you hook that up? I can barely get my hand back there.Isnt this a recall line? Thanks a bunch

Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
i would say the only way to hook it back on is to remove the intake manifold,the hose hooks on to the very bottom of the manifold.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 AM
There was a recall on that vacum line so I stepped foot inside the local Ford dealer for the first time in over 25 years since I.ve been driving Fords.The vacum line is reconnected from under the vehicle. It looks like they pulled the front driveshaft out in order to help access it.Everything works fine and they took care of some airbag recall at the same time at no charge.It wasn't that dealership dreaded experience.Thanks for the help and with the help of this site I'll be replacing the other phaser real soon.

Quick Reply: hard brake pedal and no idle