98' F150 5.4 - Need advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' F150 5.4 - Need advice/help

I've got a 98'
F150
~170K

Appx a 1000 miles ago it ran rough & tripped a sensor for coil pack. I had that replaced along with all 8 plugs and it ran fine for appx 500 miles. Now it's got same symptoms (hick-up when idol & hesitation/ rough under load or through acceleration) only not as dramatic and it has not tripped a code in about 500 miles. Could it be something besides the coil pack? If so, what & how do I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you dont have coil paks you have individual coils on plugs. The cascade fail frequently. There are 8 its likely another one failed.. You need a code or take it to a shop that can hook it up to the scanner to identify what cylinder..

Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I understand there are 8 of the coils. What is a cascade? If there is no check engine light would a scanner still identify the failing cylinder? If not, how?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
one after another.. They have a life expectancy and all.. Some of us just replace all of them. I got mine on e-bay..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
There is no check engine light and Advanced Auto scanned it - no codes showed up. Is there a chance it could be something other than the coil? If so, what?
It sputters when I accelerate after just cruising for a bit...

Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
A low grade missfire can take awhile to code.. it could also be fuel system but thats less likely. Ever change your fuel filter? Really sounds like its probably another coil..

Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
A low grade missfire can take awhile to code.. it could also be fuel system but thats less likely. Ever change your fuel filter? Really sounds like its probably another coil..
I have not changed the fuel filter since I got it and am not sure if it has been changed previously. I'll give that a try today (probably needs changing anyways) and if it doesn't run better then I'll start looking on Ebay for the coils. Any suggestion to what brand of coils works best??
Thanks for all the help!

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by adrenalinerush
I have not changed the fuel filter since I got it and am not sure if it has been changed previously. I'll give that a try today (probably needs changing anyways) and if it doesn't run better then I'll start looking on Ebay for the coils. Any suggestion to what brand of coils works best??
Thanks for all the help!
Many board members have used global or Uneek supply coils with decent results. Buy the set for the v10 then you have spare. Search DG-508 in e-bay motors. the 10 pak is about $120 shipping included..

Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Many board members have used global or Uneek supply coils with decent results. Buy the set for the v10 then you have spare. Search DG-508 in e-bay motors. the 10 pak is about $120 shipping included..
Thank you for all the help! I changed the fuel filter which looked to be original and also cleaned the MAP sensor. When I took it for a spin, there were the same problems ... Looks like my next step is to get the coils and figure out how to change those & probably all the plugs too while I'm at it. I've gotta get this figured out by the end of the month so I can use that truck to pull a UHAUL when we move 600+ miles. Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM
you should do the plug whilst doing the coils because your half way there. Torque the plugs to 28 lbs DO NOT use anti seize Do grease the boots with dielectric grease..

Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
you should do the plug whilst doing the coils because your half way there. Torque the plugs to 28 lbs DO NOT use anti seize Do grease the boots with dielectric grease..
I will be sure to do that. What about the fuel injectors? Think it's worth $100 to change them out too while I'm at it? The way I understand it, it's just a matter of unplugging the old ones & plugging in new ones when I've already got the fuel rails and boots out of the way??

Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 PM
you mean those re manufactured ones right? Fuel injectors last along time that said I replaced mine with the remans. Do it if ya want-probably wont make a big difference in how it runs..

Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank you for all the help! I changed the fuel filter which looked to be original and also cleaned the MAP sensor. When I took it for a spin, there were the same problems ... Looks like my next step is to get the coils and figure out how to change those & probably all the plugs too while I'm at it. I've gotta get this figured out by the end of the month so I can use that truck to pull a UHAUL when we move 600+ miles. Thanks again!
MAP sensor? i dont think these trucks have MAP. they have a MAF *Mass Air flow* sensor in the intake tube. MAP *manifold absolute pressure* is older tech.

id say to do what other have said and go ahead and replace all of your coils at once.

it would be like only doing 1 plug at a time when it missed enough to trip the CEL if one goes the rest are on the way mine as well do them all at once. IMO

just my .02 cents

Last edited by shifty_85; 07-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm having a hard time finding those brands. Is there another brand that you would recommend?? Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm having a hard time finding those brands. Is there another brand that you would recommend?? Thanks!
I see motorcraft, rally, herlux, AIP electronics, etc... I just don't want to get them replaced and then they are crappy or don't work correctly.

Quick Reply: 98' F150 5.4 - Need advice/help