serpentine belt broke leading to p1299 and p0307 codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serpentine belt broke leading to p1299 and p0307 codes

Driving my 2000 F150 5.4 the other day when my serpentine belt shreds into a million pieces. At this point my power steering is gone and i figure i have to get off the road, the only problem is im stuck in traffic. While im trying to get off the road my turck starts overheating and is running really rough. Anyway, I got off the road and towed back home. I put a new belt on but noticed the engine light was on when i test drove it. Got it scanned and it came back p1299 and p0307 codes. I now know that p1299 is Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection which makes sense because my truck overheated since the water pump wasnt working but what im scared of is the p0307 code which is cylinder 7 misfire. What in the world can i do to fix this?? Any insite is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how overheated are we talking?.. could be you blew a head gasket if you went more then a few minutes..

Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 AM
i bet your misfire code is coming from when the belt broke you lost your charging system leading to the ignition coils not gettin enough "juice" to the spark plug causing a misfire. replace the belt, clear codes and see if it comes back

Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Replace the tensioner as well. The belt Tensioner "needs" to be change with every belt change. It 'll catch up to yuh if you don't lol. Also, I'd change the idler pulley or pulleys, -which ever the case may be. Idlers are suppose to have a little wobble, VERY LITTLE. Enough to notice when determining bearing health. If their tight, no wobble, replace it! That determines the factory bearing has been compromised from heat. That's when they start too get noisy.

Personally, I'd recommend a better high speed bearing in all. Bad pulleys tend to drag these truck down.

Run high speed bearings and add an E-Fan and she'll feel like a different truck, -like it finally rid itself of that stick in the ***.

Actually she'll feel light, quicker, ++ responsive and get up to speed with less effort.

Probably just entered "fail safe mode" Yea, You must have shut her down before the computer had a chance to turn the engine into big compressor.
Shuts the injectors down (like every other) to help cool the motor enough to prevent serious damage. Sound like you might have been in the beginning stages before you were able to shut down.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 AM
thanks everyone for your ideas. And jethat, I was in traffic when all this happened, as soon as the power steering went out I started looking for a parking lot and buy the time i was parked the temp gauge had just got to the red and the oil temp light had just come on, so not too long. the engine runs almost like it did before besides a little spuddering from the misfiring cylinder. I feel like if i blew a head gasket the engine would be running way rougher? I just dont know if its ok to keep driving around with motor in this condition

Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
pull the plug out of #7 see what it looks like maybe just replace it while your at it. No antifreeze smell? when the things running and all? No smoke coming out the exhaust? could be the plug or coil just fried for whatever reason and all..

Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
im set on it being since you lost voltage you had a misfire

Trending Topics

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by lifted_98f150
im set on it being since you lost voltage you had a misfire
He said it runs ruff. That means he has an active missfire.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with pull the plug, maybe switch #7 with a known good coil and see if it follows.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Right, - If the KAM was cleared after initial problem was dealt with. I was under the assumption that the misfire came about after she heated up. The PCM then began to take programed precautions. That in mind, #7 was the first to get shut down. Not completely, but enough to set DTC on the KAM which of course showed up when scanned.

Unless I'm not comprehending accurately, which is also a possibility lol.

So if the over heating issue has been handled and #7 has continues to have a problem, then yes, swap w/#5, it's easier lol. Plus it's proved problem free, which makes it the perfect candidate.

Quick Reply: serpentine belt broke leading to p1299 and p0307 codes