engine missfire i guess

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine missfire i guess

The other day i was trying to pull my truck up on ramps to do a oil change and since my drive way is gravel i put my truck in 4wd so it wont spin, and when i gave it gas its started to shake alittle like it felt like a missfire. but it only does this in gear with it in park or neutral its fine. so i looked under the hood and found a coil tht was loose and come to find out the plastic peise on the coil were the bolt goes threw broke. So theres nothing holding the coil down. So im wondering if that has anything to do with it? Im in the process of changing all the coils cause all but 3 or so are the originals with 132,000 miles on them. But there really expensive to change all at once. And the plugs have about 2,000 miles on them they are autolite single platinum plugs so i know its probly not that. But any help will be much appriciated. thanks steven

Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea , Autolite doesn't make spec plugs for your model AFAIK, so I would change those out first. Look to your manual for the correct plugs, also, there should be a few stickers under the hood pointing you in the right direction. Motorcraft Spark Plugs are your best bet.

Coil ears usually only break when you try to washer them up to draw them down tighter. Since COP system coils are suppose to remain somewhat loose on their bushings to prevent friction breakage, this is a mistake. I've never seen a coil break at the ear unless the vehicle owner or other has tried to shim up the factory bolts (also named,- "coil screws").

Coils are cheap, if you know where to get them. I've seen them as cheap as $9 a piece, but are normally around $12 a piece.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 PM
well my cousin mike who works for ford said that motorcraft plugs are made by autolite so i think those are ok but i will pull them and make sure there not bad, but im ordering coils, all 8 off ebay tommorw for 69 bucks that sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by steven'sf1504x4
well my cousin mike who works for ford said that motorcraft plugs are made by autolite so i think those are ok but i will pull them and make sure there not bad, but im ordering coils, all 8 off ebay tommorw for 69 bucks that sounds like a good deal to me.
Don't come here asking questions if you really don't want to know.. Just ask that cousin of yours, whom could use some educating.

Good Luck, you'll need lots of that

Old 02-06-2011, 12:01 AM
um first off i never said i didnt want to know, i know motorcraft stuff is the best and my cousin went to UTI and got ASE sertified as master mechanic for ford so he knows his stuff. I just thought i would ask yall first no know i would get some smart a#$ comment

Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 AM
www.rockauto.com for MC plugs.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by steven'sf1504x4
um first off i never said i didnt want to know, i know motorcraft stuff is the best and my cousin went to UTI and got ASE sertified as master mechanic for ford so he knows his stuff. I just thought i would ask yall first no know i would get some smart a#$ comment
Just sharing info that you obviously don't want to hear. Yours or your cousins is incorrect. Not saying "Motorcraft" is best. It's the better choice, if you don't know otherwise, -more like the fail-safe, if in question.

For your model year, the Autolite AP/APP 103/104's DO NOT meet Ford specifications. These particular plugs DO NOT run down the same line for your model year. Have your cousin perform a simple resistance test between the two, - that will open his eye's. Their not just a little different, their different by allot lol. - Not kidding, try it yourself.

Autolites in your engine may last 40 miles to 40,000, you just don't know.

Oh, - referring to me as a "smart ***" points to you as the ladder. Might want to do a little proofing there.. Just sayin.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: engine missfire i guess