Screwed big time

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screwed big time

ok so i went down to my local dealer to get a plug change. I asked what happens if a plug breaks off inside and i was told they have special tools to take it out. I understand that they do break. BUt i got a call from the dealer with bad news. they told me that stuff went down into the cylinder and now a job that was gonna cost about 600 (other stuff included) is now going to cost about 2500. why should i have to pay for there screw up?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Hmm, tricky. First off, if something fell down into the cylinder, why didn't they remove it. Are they claiming the heads are now damaged? 2500 for what??? You can get a replacement motor for that much......

I have never had to experience that kind of liability issue with a dealership or mechanic. But I would think, that in this case with the plugs known to break and it being brought up before the procedure, if they broke a plug and allowed pieces to fall into the cylinder without properly cleaning it out, that is bad workmanship. Nothing to do with you. A well trained certified mechanic familiar with the breakage issue would have noticed it and cleaned the cylinder out before re installing new plugs. I would say as far as the breakage, not their fault... the pieces falling into the cylinder and failing to remove them.... causing damage to the heads and cylinder... definitely their fault.

If it comes down to having to pay out... I would just opt for a reman engine for that price. Do the swap yourself.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldn't have to pay at all for their mistake. Contact a lawyer.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
well it was peices of the plug. the porciline parts

Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I would point out to the service manager that they were supposed to have the correct equipment to remove a broken plug and they are supposed to be the professionals and if they expect you to pay for their mistake they can speak with your attorney and you'll be speaking to the BBB.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonWolf
I would point out to the service manager that they were supposed to have the correct equipment to remove a broken plug and they are supposed to be the professionals and if they expect you to pay for their mistake they can speak with your attorney and you'll be speaking to the BBB.
+1...Exactly.
Don't quote me, but I believe there is a legal % limit to what the customer can be charged above the original estimate for additional work without consent from the customer. It's their problem.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A shop vac and tube will usually remove the ceramic pieces. Did they show you the broken plugs? Also I don't see in your OP where they said they started the vehicle with the parts still in the chamber. If they did then they are responsible for any damage. They should have a borescope available as well so they can visually inspect the bore for debris prior to starting the engine.

Trending Topics

Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I suggest you go to the dealership and talk to the Service Manager in person. Be polite, respectful, but FIRM. Tell him that you don't think you should have to pay for the technician's mistake. If you don't get any satisfaction, ask to see the Manager of the dealership and talk to him. If he doesn't agree, tell him you will take action that includes filing complaints with the BBB, State Attorney General's office for consumer complaints, and take them to small claims court if need be.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I suggest you go to the dealership and talk to the Service Manager in person. Be polite, respectful, but FIRM. Tell him that you don't think you should have to pay for the technician's mistake. If you don't get any satisfaction, ask to see the Manager of the dealership and talk to him. If he doesn't agree, tell him you will take action that includes filing complaints with the BBB, State Attorney General's office for consumer complaints, and take them to small claims court if need be.
+1
I would follow all of these steps!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Any updates?

Quick Reply: Screwed big time