1998 4.6 pinging bad.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4.6 pinging bad.

I have a 1998 4.6 extended cab with flare side bed. The motor pings real bad. Mostly when under acceleration, any rpm over 3k and all the time when hauling a load. It has new motorcraft plugs, good wires, just cleaned the maf sensor. Installed a new pcv valve and hose and evap hose. the hoses were changed due to some previous codes that were being thrown. It looks like the ecm was changed since it has a seperate sticker on the door jamb. 8-48r f8ae-6e061-cmd is the calibration code on the door. Then truck has no mods. But i cant say if the computer has any change to the orginal programing. any input?

Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iilijah
I have a 1998 4.6 extended cab with flare side bed. The motor pings real bad. Mostly when under acceleration, any rpm over 3k and all the time when hauling a load. It has new motorcraft plugs, good wires, just cleaned the maf sensor. Installed a new pcv valve and hose and evap hose. the hoses were changed due to some previous codes that were being thrown. It looks like the ecm was changed since it has a seperate sticker on the door jamb. 8-48r f8ae-6e061-cmd is the calibration code on the door. Then truck has no mods. But i cant say if the computer has any change to the orginal programing. any input?
Does your truck have a knock sensor? (the only manual that old I have to reference is a Chilton, which is lame) It should have a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor, all of which should play a part in adjusting the timing correctly. I would not drive it any more until you repair whatever is wrong. Pre-detonation is really hard on an engine, and if left uncorrected long enough, will cost you an engine!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Until you get this fixed, use high octane gas.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got 92 octane in it now. i bought a knock sensor. only because i was told it had one. Where are the cam and crank sensors @. can they be cleaned or adjusted?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iilijah
i got 92 octane in it now. i bought a knock sensor. only because i was told it had one. Where are the cam and crank sensors @. can they be cleaned or adjusted?
I don't think either can be cleaned or adjusted. Rather than go into a lot of detail, I suggest getting a Chilton manual from a parts store. (may only be able to find Haynes, they are both owned by Haynes). I don't care much for 'em, but they're about the only manuals available other than factory. The knock sensor is not an easy one to change, have to pull the intake manifold to change it, it's in the valley below the manifold. I believe the other 2 are not real bad to change. No way to test the knock sensor, only the wiring loom to it. The other 2 can be tested, but a small amount of work to replace.

Quick Reply: 1998 4.6 pinging bad.