Oil change after Techron?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change after Techron?

I ran two containers of Techron through my truck before the dreaded spark plug change. Should I change the oil now? Sucks it only has 1,500 miles on the synthetic oil in it

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldnt change the oil because of techron treatment. You treated the gas right? I wouldnt think that would affect the crankcase oil much at all.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you put Techron in the gas, would have no effect on the oil. Now if you put it in the crankcase............get it out of there.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Put it in the gas! Thought someone on here said to change the oil afterwards for some reason. I started hearing a light ticking noise and it got me thinking back.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
what engine did you replace the plugs in?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Global Moderator &

If you soaked the plugs with carb cleaner or something similar and it ran down in the cylinders, then you may need to change the oil. Are you sure you torqued the plugs down tight? If you have a loose plug, you will hear a ticking noise.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 AM
5.4V. Plugs were changed last Monday, the ticking just started yesterday. It's been under 10 degrees the last two nights here so I haven't checked closely yet.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Sounds like you had the dealer or whatever do it. You might change it just to be safe. Could be they left something loose. Tick go away when it warms or is it constant?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I believe that you are supposed to change the oil after using Techron - even if it is just applied to the gas tank. I think that it doesn't burn, at least not completely, and some gets past the rings and into the oil.

I use Techron by sucking it into a vacuum port on some of my older engines; I always change the oil after doing that.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The idea behind changing the oil after using Techron is that Techron will fracture remove the carbon deposits. Some of the debris goes out with the exhaust and some ends up on the cylinder walls to be washed into the oil. The filter is supposed to catch the particulates but it's not going to get all of it. I've always changed oil after using any fuel system cleaner especially those that actually work, like Techron. Next time, use the Techron about 2 weeks in front of the next oil change.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Global Moderator &

We're talking about a bottle of Techron that you add to a tank of gas? I've never heard of such. There's Techron in Chevron and Texaco gas. Do you have to change teh oil after running a tank? Now I know you will probably say it is not as concentrated, but I doubt that little bottle has much more actual cleaner in it than a tank full of Chevron.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The amount of POE in the gas is extremely small by comparison. There's enough in the gas to keep a clean engine clean but not really enough to clean an already dirty system. If you use Chevron gas and don't drive it like you stole it or idle a lot, you probably don't need any fuel system cleaner at all. But I've gotten bad gas at a Chevron several times. Twice they had to tow the truck and take the tank off to clean it. The one tank was almost funny except I was suppose to be at a meeting I really didn't want to go to. I had just filled up, started the truck, put it in gear and the engine stopped....I mean stopped, not just turned off. I already knew I had just taken on a load of water...and I was right. I had just put 18 gallons of regular unleaded water in my truck. That was a half a day but whoopin and the boss was not a happy camper. So even though you might think you are buying a good gas, it maybe tainted or worst yet, recycled from another part of the country where it got water soaked. If you ever get a tank of gas that the mileage falls on, you just paid for tainted fuel.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Considering that I used it two times in a row I guess I'll change it. Damn Mobil 1 ain't cheap! I'm stopping at the shop to have them listen to it in about an hour. It seems to be ticking lower in the engine. Could be a exhaust manifold too.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by StumpZ
Considering that I used it two times in a row I guess I'll change it. Damn Mobil 1 ain't cheap! I'm stopping at the shop to have them listen to it in about an hour. It seems to be ticking lower in the engine. Could be a exhaust manifold too.
mobile 1 isn't very steep

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM
You do not need to change your oil.

Quick Reply: Oil change after Techron?