Suddenly Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suddenly Running Rough

My truck started hesitating and running really bad this afternoon suddenly. I ran the diagnostics on my Gryphon and it said "running too lean Bank 1" which could be numerous things. I am going to replace the fuel filter as it's time but I just checked the CAI (tuned to this) and it seems good. No hissing or strange noises under the hood. Anything else you guys can think of I need to check?

Thanks

Last edited by Bigwheel; 11-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
After a few minutes of the truck running I finally heard a very slight hiss coming from the passenger side. My first thought is the PCV valve which needs to be replaced. I sprayed brake cleaner over the area and didn't hear any noticable difference in the idle but I definitely hear a faint hiss.

I did a search and found the usual culprits to be noted. If there is anything else you can add great.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I need advice please. The hissing noise I heard had nothing to do with the vacuum lines. Tried the carb cleaner and stethoscope ideas and still can't find the vacuum leak. Bank 1 is the passenger side right? So that would NOT include the fuel filter. What am I missing?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Does the gryphon give access to view datastream pids?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
They actually say "running lean bank 1" ? A simple scanner will shoot DTC's, such as, - "P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)". That's what you want, something that produces actual DTC's.

Anyway, you don't need to look at it as just a Bank 1 problem yet. More so, = a vac leak (general). Follow the PCV system all back by the firewall and behind the intake. Reach your hand back there while your hearing the hiss, -right at the intake connection. Move around @ that connection and I bet you find the leak.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Code is P0171 Bank 1, Just pulled 2nd Code Cylinder 7 Misfire P0307. Would plugs cause a lean probrem or lean problem cause a plug problem? Does not tead datastream pids that I know of.

Last edited by Bigwheel; 11-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it isn't the PCV check the lines that go to the vac resivour all the way from the vac port to the box behind the battery. If you have a hiss then you have a vac leak, so keep hunting.

Good luck

Last edited by jgger; 11-06-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: stupid me called the pcv a pvc!

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the hiss a constant sound or is it pulsing. If it's pulsing I'd take a look at #7 plug, could be loose/broken. That might give you both misfire and lean.

Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Is the hiss a constant sound or is it pulsing. If it's pulsing I'd take a look at #7 plug, could be loose/broken. That might give you both misfire and lean.

Just a thought.
The hiss was from the compressor. As soon as I turned that off the hiss went away. The 7 plug is where I'm thinking this is coming from but as inexperience of a mechanic as I am I'm just not certain.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, now you disregard the lean code and concentrate on the misfire. You need to find out what's going on with that cylinder. Even if it is on bank 2 (drivers), - that needs attention first. Find the problem, fix, then reconnect power source and let the monitors run their course. Once #7 is handled 171 may come back, may not. Bank two can have an effect Bank one. General rule, = Misfire first.

Plug, coil, compression, harness. When and where in the rpm range is it missing? Under what load? The load can give your a clue to what's causing it.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-06-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
JBREW...I really appreciate your knowledge and input so I hope my questions are not too awfully repetitive for what you've heard before. I have the 2002 5.4 engine with 137k miles and have never changed the plugs because frankly it has always run incredibly well. Now it's time to change them and I've heard everything from it's easy to run for the hills. Based on what I've read on here I should replace plugs with Motorcraft OEM plugs and replace COP's as well. Hopefully this will resolve the misfire and lean issues I have.

Is this the particular engine that is famous for all the problems with the plugs being frozen in place? Normally I would not pay $300 plus for plug replacement because I've done this numerous times on other cars but I'm a little intimidated by this one. This doesn't seem as straight forward. Do you have any specific recommendations or advice on this? Right now it runs so rough that I really don't want to pull it out of the garage.

Thanks A Bunch

Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigwheel
JBREW...I really appreciate your knowledge and input so I hope my questions are not too awfully repetitive for what you've heard before. I have the 2002 5.4 engine with 137k miles and have never changed the plugs because frankly it has always run incredibly well. Now it's time to change them and I've heard everything from it's easy to run for the hills. Based on what I've read on here I should replace plugs with Motorcraft OEM plugs and replace COP's as well. Hopefully this will resolve the misfire and lean issues I have.

Is this the particular engine that is famous for all the problems with the plugs being frozen in place? Normally I would not pay $300 plus for plug replacement because I've done this numerous times on other cars but I'm a little intimidated by this one. This doesn't seem as straight forward. Do you have any specific recommendations or advice on this? Right now it runs so rough that I really don't want to pull it out of the garage.

Thanks A Bunch
You don't have the 5.4 3v thats in the 04-07 f150s those are the ones that have the the heat sheilds that come off the plug due to carbon deposited.......

If you do change your plugs however you'll need to put the new ones in dry with NO antisieze.....they also need to be torqued to 28ft pounds......

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go over to e-bay search dg508 or dg-508 get the coils most members here have had decent luck with global or uneek supply. -$100 R&R the plugs replace with Motorcraft plugs are the safe bet. Torque them dry no anti sieze to 28 lbs. Not a big deal. Your good for another 100k..

Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Is there a way to test the COP before replacing? I don't want to replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigwheel
Is there a way to test the COP before replacing? I don't want to replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced.
Like any electrical component in an ignition system they wear out. They are not expensive a set(8) from global or uneek is under $100 shipped. Save the known good old ones for spares. A single coil purchased at the dealer is more then the sets you can get on e-bay. More likely then not it is the coil that is your problem. You could verify that by swapping the #7 coil with the 5 or 1. If you replace just the 1 coil most likely you will replace more every few months until you've done them all.

Quick Reply: Suddenly Running Rough