swapped engine now fuel pump wont come on

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapped engine now fuel pump wont come on

I have search the forum for 45 min. and cant find the answer I'm looking for. I have an '01 screw with a 4.6 with 177,000 miles. I swapped it with a 4.6 with 62,000. It has sat for about 3 months. (have been really busy and low on funds plus doing on my own) Got it all back together and tried to start. Motor will crank but not start. I can turn the key to run and I hear no fuel pump hum. I checked fuel pump fues, ok with that. Checked inertia switch. ok there. any thoughts?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 PM
how much fuel in tank if it was real low the pump could be varnished up and siezed
Mitch

Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
check to see if you have any pressure at the fuel rails. This will tell you for sure if your getting fuel or not. Best way is with a gauge. As you might have fuel pressure, but not enough for the injectors to operate properly.
Also go back over the electrical connections, more specifically the bulkhead connector(the main engine harness connector)

Also have you looked at the wiring underneath the truck? These wires like to corrode and cause fuel pump failure. A simple search should turn up some posts about this issue.

And lastly, if you think that the pump may be seized, its possible that if you use a large rubber mallet, and beat on the tank, you will "break free" the crud that has it bound up. (this method saved my but once)

one last note you didn't mess with the pcm or pats system did you?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I did go back and check all the connections. They were good. I did not mess with the pcm. Not sure what the pats system is and I never removed the bulkhead from the connector. I just unhooked all the elect connections and moved the whole harness to the side(over the pass. fender)
After working on it all friday I came up with "it must be the fuel pump." It has a half of tank of fuel so I was under the impression it may be stuck or varnished over so I stood on the bumper and jummed up and down and tried to shake the fuel around to try to loosen it up. No luck. I will try a rubber mallet when I get off work and see if that works. If not I will have to lift the bed and pull the pump. Any idea what a new pump will run me? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: swapped engine now fuel pump wont come on