Bad Fuel Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad Fuel Pump??

Hello!
I have an '05 F150 5.4L (99k miles) that I think is in need of a fuel pump but I want to be certain before I purchase one. I had the dealer do a diagnosis and they said "bad Fuel Pump". Will a fuel pump Gradually go bad or just die all at once??

Is there anything else I can check first??

Symptoms:
-Loss of power
-Rough running and Back firing through the intake during FAST accelloration
-Sluggish and uneven accelloration. Doesn't act like a "Misfire" but more like it's simply not getting a steady stream of fuel

What I've already done:
-Replaced fuel filter (5k miles ago). This Helped a ton right away but the problems came back pretty quick.
-Dealer replaced a fuel injector (Sudo Recall). No great difference noticed afterwards.

Any help would be appreciated!!

PS: If it is a fuel pump, which is the best approach?... to drop the gas tank or remove the truck bed?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
what you describe sounds like the fuel system is backing up. so yes most likely the pump. when you buy a new pump don't go to the dealer they cost too much. just make sure it's made buy Bosch. bosch manufacturers them then sells them to different companies, like ford, or napa, whatever. dropping the take is gonna be way easier then taking the bed off, but if you can drain the tank do so it will be much easier.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do a fuel pressure test before you buy/take anything off.

I think, someone will chime in here, the 05's had injector issues. At 99k you are still covered, search here and you should find alot of stuff about the injector issue. I think it is Stealth that has a link to the recall letter in his sig.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
fuel pump driver module?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt-Nut
Hello!
I have an '05 F150 5.4L (99k miles) that I think is in need of a fuel pump but I want to be certain before I purchase one. I had the dealer do a diagnosis and they said "bad Fuel Pump". Will a fuel pump Gradually go bad or just die all at once??

Is there anything else I can check first??

Symptoms:
-Loss of power
-Rough running and Back firing through the intake during FAST accelloration
-Sluggish and uneven accelloration. Doesn't act like a "Misfire" but more like it's simply not getting a steady stream of fuel

What I've already done:
-Replaced fuel filter (5k miles ago). This Helped a ton right away but the problems came back pretty quick.
-Dealer replaced a fuel injector (Sudo Recall). No great difference noticed afterwards.

Any help would be appreciated!!

PS: If it is a fuel pump, which is the best approach?... to drop the gas tank or remove the truck bed?
If the fuel filter "helped a ton" but then the problem came back pretty quick, do you know for certain that the new filter hasn't gotten clogged ? With 99k mi. on the clock, you have had a lot of time to build up crap in the tank. I am not necessarily thinking that's the problem. Have you changed the filter before or is this the 1st. time? Most people don't realize that if the filter isn't kept clean and is allowed to get really clogged, by the time you really have problems with the way it runs, you have damaged the pump from it having to work so hard to push gas through the "clog". My guess is that is what has happened. Probably need a new pump because of overworking it. You still need to do a pressure test. A pump isn't cheap and it's not a piece of cake to replace it. I hate to see people throw parts at a vehicle and THEN come for help. To many parts wasted that way. Unless you have a sprayed in bedliner, I prefer to remove the bed. If you have a few strong buddies or a set of camper jacks, the bed is easy to get off. The bolts are from the top and the other disconnects are easy. I have taken a ton of them off when the bolts went all the way through and were nutted, and I still would prefer that way. 4 of us easily lifted a bed off.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Bad Fuel Pump?

If the Fuel Pump Control Module goes bad will the truck still continue to run?

Thanks!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunt-Nut
If the Fuel Pump Control Module goes bad will the truck still continue to run?

Thanks!!!
Not well, if at all. Did you take a look at your FPCM? If it looks like it has lost the battle with the salt and snow/water in your area of the country, it's a good possibility, if it doesn't look like that, you're gonna have to check pressure and flow.

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Pump??