Injector Question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Question...

Hey guys,

I had this posted in part of another thread, but i figured if i split it, might get some answers!

Basic question: do fuel injectors wear out?

I have an '02 5.4 with 316000km with the original injectors. Did a plug change, and now have a leaky injector. I know it likely will be MUCH cheaper to replace the o-ring (advised by jbrew), but do injectors lose their efficiency over time? Would replacing them with a remanufactured set improve how my engine runs??

Thanks guys - have my eye on a set on ebay, but don't want to buy them if injectors stay pretty consistent over time!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCog
Basic question: do fuel injectors wear out?
Anything mechanical wears, but it would take a few million miles for an injector to wear noticeably. Mine have about a half million on them now, and they work fine.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Steve83! I've been driving it a bit lately, and the gas smell seems worse, so upon further inspection i have AT LEAST two that are leaking :S. So going to the parts store soon to check out the price of new o-rings vs new injectors from ebay. I would HOPE the o-rings are significantly cheaper!

But until then...i guess i'll park it...again :S.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Scroll down to the bottom -

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=27

It says 5.0, but these are also for the 4.6L/5.4L ~ EV1 is you

Also, - even Auto Zone carries just Oring kits.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Be careful putting the new O-rings on so you do not pinch or tear them and have continued leaks.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys...went to part source today. Kit with two o-rings, spacer, and cap for $10.98. So i'm going to try a couple of those for now.

So when putting them back in i've read a couple of things - one that sounded not so logical :S.

1) soak o-ring in transmission fluid before installing to help with seal. ???
2) apply a small amount of dielectric grease to ring before installing.

Either of those supported by anyone?

Also, what's the best/safest way to clean in and around the cylinder they're going into. Just in case there's something that could damage the ring...

Thanks for the help guys! If these don't do anything, i'm going to order my ebay EV1s.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford says the ONLY lubricant to be used anywhere on the fuel system is clean engine oil. ATF can soak into the rubber & cause it to swell/soften/tear/leak, and silicone grease doesn't dissolve in gas, so it can actually block the injectors. Use carb cleaner & shop air to clean the intake before removing the injectors, and a shop vac after.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks Steve83 et al. Replaced two sets of o-rings, spacer, cap. The one upper o-ring was torn 50% through, plus the cap was shredded (i have to take the blame...i must have been a little rammy putting it back in :S). The other upper o-ring was a bit torn.

Took for a 20min test drive, then scanned for leaks - NONE!! No gas smell either. Phew, i think i FINALLY got 'er beat.

Thanks again guys...this whole process (including the plugs and cops) likely would have cost me ALOT more than it did by doing it myself!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
glad it worked out for you

Quick Reply: Injector Question...