HELP Engine problems I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Engine problems I think

So today I did some off roading, alot of water since it rained recently, never really got my engine wet besides today. Also did an oil change today which was a little over due (about 3500 miles). But up untill offroading I was good

But now...

I can't accelerate fast at all
Even in park the rpms are jumping
Driving down the highway the car was bucking and kicking and fighting the whole time,
and the car is vibrating/shaking, noticably you feel it and you can see it when the hood is up. and it shakes/vibrates/jumps worst while in reverse

Since it got wet I was guessing that had alot to do with it maybe I soaked my coil packs or some thing? The "Engine Check soon" light is on, it stays lit for like 10 seconds, then blinks which in the manual is 2 different topics of problems, including a bad batch of gas, burning oil and some other things

If it helps I have a 2000 4.6
Thanks in advance

Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I know getting an exact answer from some one may be rational, really Im just wondering if any body has a clue of the possibilities, hopefully ill have it up on a lift being checked out in the next few days

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It has COPs right? Pull the cops and blow out the spark plug well with compressed air.

The check engine light will piont you to something, get the codes read and post them here. With out the codes it's a guessing game. My guess is random multiple misfires or misfire on 2 or more cylinders. Cops hate water!

But that is just a guess.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 PM
pull the spark plugs out and blow everything to dry it out?

And any chance some one could further explain codes to me never did anything with them or anything

Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you fried a COP. my truck did the same thing when i decided to rinse off the engine and the car wash. If the CEL is flashing it is telling you there is a misfire which would more than likely be a COP

Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You didn't say how many miles on the engine but if it is over 100,000 miles on the clock and you have never changed the COPs, they are probably toast. You can try to dry them out but with age and miles, they're just done. A lot of the guys get them here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...#ht_2717wt_937

Yours takes the DG-508 COPs and these eight are cheaper than buying one Motorcraft unit. Make sure to change the plugs if you haven't and use di-electric grease on the porcelain part of the plug to seal out water/moisture. I used Autolite Double Platinums in my 04 4.6 but the Motorcraft plugs are also a great plug. They are not the multi-piece abortion like those in the 5.4 3 valve. Make sure to torque at 28 ft lbs or expect issues with the short threads of your year model engine. Do not use any anti-seize. Otherwise a plug change on your engine is pretty straight forward.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM
rc
lark12
2000 Ford F-150
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150

pull the spark plugs out and blow everything to dry it out?
NO not the spark plugs just the coils on the [B]plugs[/B](COP). If you remove the plugs without blowing out the wells you might end up with more problems than a misfire.

The computer sets a code when the check engine light comes on. When you retrieve the code from the computer it tells you the area of the malfunction, you need to hook it up to a code reader.

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone.
My truck has 88,000 miles on it , and since i've posted up this thread i've been thinking maybe I should be replacing plugs and cops any way.

First tho I will look into blowing out the wells and changing cops
and will get a code for you guys

Again, thanks to everyone I really appreciate it

Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
I talked to an auto shop teacher who told me if I dont blow them out they will dry on their own. My truck is running alot better after being out of the water for 24 hours but far from normal. I think I still want to replace the cops if those are the problem.

I should have codes up for you guys by friday or saturday

Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rclark12
I talked to an auto shop teacher who told me if I dont blow them out they will dry on their own. My truck is running alot better after being out of the water for 24 hours but far from normal. I think I still want to replace the cops if those are the problem.

I should have codes up for you guys by friday or saturday
I think maybe your AST doesn't know the Triton (Ford modular) engine as well as he should. He's thinking '57 Chevy 283 with a coil and spark plugs and wires hanging out for all the world to see. This is a different story, way different.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 AM
I figured that, to be honest I walked away feeling I understand the situation more then he did. Getting my codes today.
Yesterday it drove smooth at first but now acceleration after 30 mph is extremely slow

Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM
CODES - each one came up three times

P0174 - system too lean (bank 2)

P0306 - Cylinder 6 misfire detected

P0308 - Cylinder 8 misfire detected

Quick Reply: HELP Engine problems I think