opinions/help with electric fan mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure if you really wanted numbers you could google. I would bet that an alternator manufacturer has done this testing on their products at one time or another. I have seen charts for this but I cannot recall where. It may have been on a car audio site. I have heard it is about 1 HP for every 25 amps but I am sure it varies by alternator size.

Last edited by Norm; 09-15-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not the one(s) claiming the alternator draws away a large quantity of HP in a Electric fan conversion. Make the claim back it up with data that's the way these arguments generally go. I have Googled already.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1947
Guess you need to explan to the masses here why most new vehicles are being produced with electric fans...
For the reason I stated in my FIRST post in this thread.
Originally Posted by sam1947
...the engine mounted fan on the 150s have an electrically controlled clutch
Know why? Same as for the PSTD: because it's too expensive to produce a fan motor & alternator system capable of pushing THAT MUCH air. So they use the mech drive with an electrically-assisted clutch until an efficient hi-power motor can be produced.
Originally Posted by MGDfan
the Factory PCM e-fan control is still pretty 'dumb' - it still is just a basic On/Off controller based upon engine temps.
Not even close. It involves a LOT more parameters. Read the PCED.
Even the 2010 F150 is an on/off affair, even if it may have Canbus involvement
Wrong again, on both counts. Fan speed varies from 5-100% based on a discrete PWM circuit (not CANbus) from the PCM, similar to the FPDM. Except the driver is integrated into the fan motor, unlike the separate driver for the pump. That's why the newest e-fans are so much better than the previous ones with relays & resistors. The aftermarket will never be able to offer a retrofit fan with that technology functioning with that level of effectiveness & efficiency.
Originally Posted by jethat
Make the claim back it up with data that's the way these arguments generally go.
My data is driving around all over the roads: e-fans weren't used on most axial engines even after CAFE laws, until they became PCM-controlled, which proves they weren't efficient enough. Where's yours?

Last edited by Steve83; 09-15-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
For the reason I stated in my FIRST post in this thread. Not even close. It involves a LOT more parameters.

Wrong again, on both counts. Fan speed varies from 5-100% based on a discrete PWM circuit (not CANbus) from the PCM, similar to the FPDM. Except the driver is integrated into the fan motor, unlike the separate driver for the pump. That's why the newest e-fans are so much better than the previous ones with relays & resistors. The aftermarket will never be able to offer a retrofit fan with that technology functioning with that level of effectiveness & efficiency.
Okay Steve - I'm intruiged - please elaborate on the "more parameters" - besides the obvious ones involving A/C cooling needs. What else does there need to be to maintain cooling effectiveness and promote efficiency?

As for the newest fans - the evidence suggests otherwise - as the 2010 F150 fans are being driven by members right now using an aftermarket variable speed controller (FKxxp) with no ill effects. So I can't see how there is an integrated driver. And these things are less than $200 for the whole assembly. Given the FPDM costs it's seems very low for a component that would contain two drivers ....

Any 2010 owners want to check to see if their fan speeds are variable?

Good discussion - let's keep it civil shall we? I am honestly curious.

MGD

Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
I'm not the one(s) claiming the alternator draws away a large quantity of HP in a Electric fan conversion. Make the claim back it up with data that's the way these arguments generally go. I have Googled already.
I see your point. I thought you were just interested in data and not trying to keep an argument going. I will leave that between you and Steve.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I thought you had access to the PCED/EVTM/service manuals. No? Lemme see if I can dig it up, but I don't have access to the '08-11 stuff from home. I might have some older info already uploaded...

Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay Steve - I'm intruiged - please elaborate on the "more parameters" - besides the obvious ones involving A/C cooling needs. What else does there need to be to maintain cooling effectiveness and promote efficiency?

As for the newest fans - the evidence suggests otherwise - as the 2010 F150 fans are being driven by members right now using an aftermarket variable speed controller (FKxxp) with no ill effects. So I can't see how there is an integrated driver. And these things are less than $200 for the whole assembly. Given the FPDM costs it's seems very low for a component that would contain two drivers ....

Any 2010 owners want to check to see if their fan speeds are variable?
The 2010 fans are simple on/off devices. Any decent PWM controller will do the job. The fans have only a ground and positive line per fan and the only way to vary their speed is via either current or PWM.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I just changed a fan on an '06-10 Ford a couple of weeks ago and it was variable (2 big wires; 1 small). But I was wrong about it being on a truck - it must have been a car fan. I'd have thought the trucks would use similar fans by now.

Anyway - here's some info from the '07 PCED:

Originally Posted by Ford 2007 PCED
Cooling Fan Clutch (trucks)
The cooling fan clutch is an electrically actuated viscous clutch that consists of 3 main elements:
a working chamber
a reservoir chamber
a cooling fan clutch actuator valve and a fan speed sensor (FSS)

The cooling fan clutch actuator valve controls the fluid flow from the reservoir into the working chamber. Once viscous fluid is in the working chamber, shearing of the fluid results in fan rotation. The cooling fan clutch actuator valve is activated with a pulse width modulated (PWM) output signal from the PCM. By opening and closing the fluid port valve, the PCM can control the cooling fan clutch speed. The cooling fan clutch speed is measured by a Hall-effect sensor and is monitored by the PCM during closed loop operation.

The PCM optimizes fan speed based on engine coolant temperature (ECT), engine oil temperature (EOT), transmission fluid temperature (TFT), intake air temperature (IAT), or air conditioning requirements. When an increased demand for fan speed is requested for vehicle cooling, the PCM monitors the fan speed through the Hall-effect sensor. If a fan speed increase is required, the PCM outputs the PWM signal to the fluid port, providing the required fan speed increase.
Originally Posted by Ford 2007 PCED
Fan Control
The PCM monitors certain parameters (such as engine coolant temperature, vehicle speed, A/C on/off status, A/C pressure) to determine engine cooling fan needs.

For variable speed electric fan(s):

The PCM controls the fan speed and operation using a duty cycle output on the fan control variable (FCV) circuit. The fan controller (located at or integral to the engine cooling fan assembly) receives the FCV command and operates the cooling fan at the speed requested (by varying the power applied to the fan motor).

FIVE HUNDRED/FREESTYLE/MONTEGO, FUSION/MILAN/ZEPHYR, CROWN VICTORIA/GRAND MARQUIS, TOWN CAR: FCV DUTY CYCLE OUTPUT FROM PCM (negative duty cycle)
FCV Duty Cycle Command = Cooling Fan Response/Speed
Greater than 0 but less than 5% = Fan off, controller inactive
Greater than 5% but less than 10% = Fan off, controller is in active/ready state
Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, Town Car: 10% - 90% = Linear speed increase from 20% to 100%
Five Hundred/Freestyle/Montego, Fusion/Milan/Zephyr: 30% - 90% = Linear speed increase from 50% to 100%
Greater than 90% but less than 95% = 100%
Greater than 95% but less than 100% = Fan off

For relay controlled fans:
The PCM controls the fan operation through the fan control (FC) (single speed fan applications), low fan control (LFC), medium fan control (MFC), and/or high fan control (HFC) outputs. Some applications will have the xFC circuit wired to 2 separate relays.

For 3-speed fans, although the PCM output circuits are called low, medium, and high fan control (FC), cooling fan speed is controlled by a combination of these outputs.
I was looking for more details about the parameters used to set fan speed, but I haven't found anything more specific or newer than that. But so far, we know it's based on:
coolant temp
oil temp
trans temp
air temp
A/C demand
A/C pressure
and more...

Quick Reply: opinions/help with electric fan mod