dead supercrew! Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dead supercrew! Need help.

Hey guys new to the site and I'm very impressed on how nice of a site it is. I have been reading on here for a while and just now registered. I own a 2001 screw with the 4.6 wcode. I bought the truck being told the chains were bad.. I replaced them but that was not all. Drove the truck 20 or so miles and it died. The motor is toast. I am not new to f150 I just sold my 99 f50 ext cab to buy this screw and I did head gaskets and such on that one 2 yrs ago. I love the truck and want to get it fixed. so my question is will a 2002 mustang 4.6 work. I found one with only 32,000 miles on it and a reasonable price. I did not want to have to try and rebuild if I found one with low miles.

I have tossed around the idea of a 5.4 swap if I have to rebuild something. Might as well go bigger. but if I can use the mustang motor that would be easy enough. thanks guys I really could use some advice. I have looked through some of the older posts and did not see any about the stang motor in an f150 so I hope I'm posting not posting a stupid question

Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site. No such thing as a stupid question here. Yes the Mustang engine will work. Use your truck intake and oil filter adapter if these parts are not damaged from the engine failure. If the truck engine had parts fail be sure to check the lower intake of the truck before installing it on the new engine. Sometimes parts from a blown engine will get sucked into the intake and end up laying in the lower intake waiting to be pulled up into the new engine causing another failure. This swap is pretty sraight forward as the base engines are the same. Here is a article that may help you out as well. http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti..._ford_46l.aspx By the way your engine is a Romeo. Good luck

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 08-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm going to pick up the motor this weekend. I'm going to try and start pulling mine out tom night. I have to tidy up mustang 2nite then I can start on it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Go with the 5.4 if you ever pull anything slightly heavy.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 AM
I really don't pull anything. I just drive it for work.

Quick Reply: dead supercrew! Need help.