5.4L 2v - VIN A and VIN R ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L 2v - VIN A and VIN R ??

So as I was sitting in the exhaust shop waiting on them to finish putting my new magnaflow muffler on in place of the Flowmaster, the guy working the desk and I got to talking about hp and tq numbers in the Ford v8s. Now I don't think this guy is very educated, but he was extremely confident that he was right. He asked what version of the 5.4L I had and I said it was the VIN L - with 260hp and 350 ft/lb of tq. He said - "you know there are four versions of that motor...my buddy has a truck identical to yours only white (01, 5.4L, 4x4, Lariat, supercrew) and he has the more powerful 5.4L engine." I said does he have a Harley Davidson supercrew (with the supercharged engine). He said nope, he has VIN A in his - he's got 300hp stock. I said that's not possible. He proceeds to pull out this engine spec book from behind the counter (looks like a phonebook) and proceeds to turn to the page and show me the listing of engines from 2001. Sure enough he finds a list of the engines broken down by VIN code. The list shows:

Vin - displacement (HP) *notes

L - 5.4L (260)
Z - 5.4L (260) *Bi-Fuel
M - 5.4L (260) *CNG
A - 5.4L (300)
R - 5.4L (300)
3 - 5.4L (380) *Supercharged

Sure enough there is VIN A and VIN R with 300hp, but I know for fact that was never offered in the 2001 supercrew 4x4. I didn't feel the need to argue with the guy since he works there and felt himself an expert on anything automotive (he also told me there is no such thing as hi-flow cats from Magnaflow or any other manufacturer).

So what's up with VIN A and R? What's different about those two engines that gives it more HP than the normal 5.4L with PI heads?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
VIN "A" and "R" are the Lincoln DOHC 4v engines - Blackwood and Navigator.

That guy is full of crap, unless he did a swap.

By the way, the 01 Harley was a VIN "L" - only the Lightning had the blower that year.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
He didn't do a swap - he was adamant about that truck having the more powerful engine from the factory - even if he did the swap...his VIN wouldn't have the correct code...

I didn't realize the Harley ever came without the blower...

This guy was a bumbling redneck idiot - I really don't know why anyone would employ him after having the hour long conversation we had. We ended up talking about exhausts later and he went on to tell me the true inner workings of catalytic converters and how there is no such thing as high flow cats and how if there was such a thing the O2 sensors in vehicles would go nuts and it would run terribly.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
He's probably thinking the 5.4 is more powerful than the 4.6. Either that or he has a Blackwood, not a F-150.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by glc
He's probably thinking the 5.4 is more powerful than the 4.6. Either that or he has a Blackwood, not a F-150.
No - he's just a moron...but I was sure of that the minute he opened his mouth. He is quite possibly the most uneducated sounding person I've ever held a conversation with.

I've never seen a Blackwood in white either - but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I was under the impression they were only offered in black.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I recall seeing them at the auto show in 98, before I purchased mine. It might have been a concept truck back then, not sure, but it was Black w/grey interior. Good lookin truck. Other than that, I've seen them on the road and every one was Black.

That aside, I think your doing the right thing. It's about all you can do in your position. I would still go thru and update coils, plugs, O2 sensors, -everything to do with Ignition and AF's. Polish that MAF and run a Dry Filter element, -Nano fiber since their really not that expensive, very easy to service and last.

Motorcraft PCV only, - you most likely know the drill by now lol.

Also, make absolutely sure your wiring harness isn't to close to your AC accumulator. The MAG field can effect ignition and lead to drive-ability concerns.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 2v - VIN A and VIN R ??