Truck problems!! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck problems!! Please help

So here is the deal. I was driving and my truck heated up quite quick check engine light came on and i had a misfire in cylinder 4. I replaced the thermostat thinking that it was malfunctioning and "Burped" my system. After i replaced that it ran fine for a day or so and then it heated up again! Everytime it heats up, it has a lot of pressure in the hose leading into the radiator as if the thermostat is still bad. I got a diagnostics on it and it is only showing the misfire. Is there any thing that can lead to it heating up so quick? I have heard that my head gasket might be gone but im not sure. i hope its not that... any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Really sounds like a blown head gasket. If you have a friend in the HVAC business, a home inspector, or possibly a plumber friend, ask them if they have a monoxide tester. Start and run the truck with the radiator cap loose so it doesn't build pressure and wait for it to hit full temp with the water circulating thru the system. Take the monoxide tester and sniff the radiator neck. If the unit detects monoxides, you just found yer head gasket issue. If it finds nothing, at least you know it isn't a head gasket. Another visual sign of a head gasket issue is if the coolant circulating looks like it's carbonated like a Coke, Pepsi, or 7 Up, with lots of tiny bubbles. Usually if you see the bubbles, it's a major leak.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 AM
well i have been told about the bubbles and i havent noticed any.... i will look around for a monoxide tester and see what i can find! Thanks for your input i need all i can get right now its drivin me nuts!!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would bet as Labnerd said its a head gasket. You can also go to a major autoparts store (Autozone) and ask if they loan or rent out a hydrocarbon test kit. Same thing basicly but just a different discription and different process. Some auto repair shops and dealerships perfrom the test also for around $75.00. Good luck

Old 04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I would also lean twords a head gasket, I just finished fixing mine and my symptoms are very similar to what your saying.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by RugerShooter
I would also lean twords a head gasket, I just finished fixing mine and my symptoms are very similar to what your saying.
Did you show any signs of the headgasket or was it just heating up? How much did it run you?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You didn't mention that it is consuming coolant, I assume it is.
Pull the dipstick, if the oil looks like chocolate milk then it's a head gasket.
Also if it is blowing pressure into the cooling system when it warms up then it can also blow coolant into the cylinder when it cools down. This is bad b/c you can hydro lock the engine and do some real damage. If the coolant is going into the cylinder it can jack up the cats also.
You need to get on the tests mentioned earlier PRONTO!

Trending Topics

Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Is it possible that you can run your truck without the thermostat for a test?

That would remove one possible problem from the mix.

Ben, OH

Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by FX4SURE
Is it possible that you can run your truck without the thermostat for a test?

That would remove one possible problem from the mix.

Ben, OH
We are thinking of doing that just to eliminate any possibilities...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by devs_05scab
Did you show any signs of the headgasket or was it just heating up? How much did it run you?
It would run cold (on the gauge) for about 10 miles than all of a sudden the temp would spike to hot and the idiot lights on the panel would come on. I was also getting big bubbles in my coolant system & white smoke out the tailpipe on startup. I drove it around for about a week this way.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
i took it to a buddy of mine who is a mechanic for ford and he just said the thermostat i bought was faulty. I dont have any smoke out the tailpipes on start up but my truck is runnin good now!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Good deal, glad to see it wasn't a head gasket. Ive bought thermostats for other vehicles and had them go bad in just a few days, same with starters and alternators.

Whats the issue with the misfire?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Good deal, glad to see it wasn't a head gasket. Ive bought thermostats for other vehicles and had them go bad in just a few days, same with starters and alternators.

Whats the issue with the misfire?
I had a full tune-up on it had them change all the plugs etc. and the misfire is non existent!!!

Quick Reply: Truck problems!! Please help