5.4 engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHEELINF150
BlackF150, No doubt on the bleeding down tensioner, for some reason the 04 were the worst with the tensioners......Atleast.... I would say 80 percent of the ones I have done have been on 04's. As far as the dealer saying that it is normal, it is not normal however it probably wont cause any issues for you, other than the noise. If you do decide to do them, do yourself a HUGE favor and remove the allen head plug from the bottom of the vct solenoid valve bodys and clean the passage ways out. It only adds about 15 minutes to the job and is cheap insurance. Good luck, Bob
Bob: Thanx much for the info guess this is more annoying than anything, do u think going to say a 5/30 or 10/30 syn blend oil would help any, and I suppose if a man were to change one should do both???? Thanx again.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Blackf150, Absolutly without a doubt do both tensioners, its alot of work to go thru only to have the other tensioner gasket blow out 2 months down the road, then you have to go thru it all again. The new tensioners have a different o-ring gasket then the originals, the new ones use a viton seal which is alot better and generally do not blow out causing loss of oil pressure at start-up. Changing oil viscosity now will not really help at all. All you are hearing is the timing chain slapping around until the tensioners get enough oil pressure to put tension on the chains..... these tensioners are not spring assisted they ONLY work off of oil pressure....so a good o-ring is a must ! Good luck, Bob

Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Blackf150, Absolutly without a doubt do both tensioners, its alot of work to go thru only to have the other tensioner gasket blow out 2 months down the road, then you have to go thru it all again. The new tensioners have a different o-ring gasket then the originals, the new ones use a viton seal which is alot better and generally do not blow out causing loss of oil pressure at start-up. Changing oil viscosity now will not really help at all. All you are hearing is the timing chain slapping around until the tensioners get enough oil pressure to put tension on the chains..... these tensioners are not spring assisted they ONLY work off of oil pressure....so a good o-ring is a must ! Good luck, Bob
Bob:Great info and thanx I think I will wait and see if ford puts the 5.0 4V coyote in the f-150 if so will make a trade are u guys getting any info yet on this engine good bad or anything else. Thanx

Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by lockes1
sounds to me like you have an exhaust leak. my 2005 crew cab makes a ticking sound when I get into it or when I start it up. Check around where the exhaust manifold meets the heads, see if theres any carbon... mine is around the #3 cylinder. hope this helps
I agree with this as a good possibility, got the same problem.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
hey bob
i havnt posted in a few days im still waiting for the vct selenoids it seems they (dealer) took my money and told me they would be there in 2 days well its been a week and now they tell me they are on back order! just my luck! anyways i will be sure to update you all when i get them kevin

Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
bob
i received one vct selenoid today and installed it on the drivers side
started up and runs again ! now i seem to have a issue with the other side
every once in awhile it will make a lod slapping noise on that side and i can shut it down and start right back up and will be gone,but no codes should this side vct be changed also? thanks kevin

Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
also bob the codes i pulled where p0022

Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
hey bob
here is an update . truck is running good again just have some small issues.
it has a rough idle at times but otherwise ok, good throttle response and normal power at operating speeds , as posted previously new motor craft plugs, new vct selenoid in bank 2 ,cam sensor bank 2 ,motrcraft 5w20 oil change with motor craft filter and new fuel filter. and also i am still pulling the p0022 code but i see no change when light comes on . it only comes on after prolonged idle. so in short i really appreciate your help with this and hopefully i will get the rest sorted out! thanks again for your help! kevin

Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi all!

I'm a new owner of a 2010 F150 FX4 and it is my first pick up! I started noticing some ticking noise on the passenger side of the dash on my very first road trip.

I have yet to take it in a dealership as I am still trying to find out who to take it to in my area (does anyone have a good experience with their service department in the Los Angeles area? please PM me).

Should this be covered under warranty? I've only had the truck for less than a week and noticed the ticking noise already

Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey everyone, sorry to leave you hanging, but i took my truck into the ford dealership, and one of my buddies who is their mechanic looked into it for me, He noticed that the heads had some sort of blockage, and were starving the engine of oil, SO, in the long run ive ended up having to replace the heads lifters and Camshafts, soooo, we'll see soon if this worked, i still dont have my truck back...thats what i get for getting it repaired for free!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
My engine made a light ticking noise when it was idling. After I dropped the oil and putting in a synthetic (Royal purple 5w20) the ticking went away. The truck had 3K miles when i changed the oil but I thought that was long enough to break the engine in.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey, Im new on this site, actually been on this site just looking around and decided to register so I could respond to this question, I've been with Ford for 6 years now and im fully Ford certified. I do alot of these 5.4l 3v engines at work, In fact pretty much the only one in dealership that will work on them. I have done ALOT of cam phasers and timing chain tensioners and vct solenoids and solenoid valve bodys on these engines. Alot of times just doing cam phasers will not fix the audible knocking noise.... I suggest if you are going to do the cam phasers.... do timing chain tensioners and vct solenoids as well. About 8 months ago I had one come to the dealership and I installed new phasers and chain tensioners and it was still noisy. Ford sent a ford engineer to look at the engine and we found the problem.... which was debris caught in a passage way in the phaser solenoid body. If you flip the solenoid over and remove allen head plug from valve body that is where debris gets trapped. 5.4l 3v are GREAT engines as long as the oil is changed every 3000 and motorcraft filters are used.
The 3 biggest problems of the 3 valve engine are #1 cam phasers can be noisy. #2 The rubber seal on the back of the tensioners push out and bleed off oil pressure causing slack in timing chain. #3 vct solenoids and valve bodys getting contaminated with debris and oil pressure is restricted causing audible noise and in some cases driveability issues.
Anyway dont mean to ramble on, Just trying to help, I have wasted alot of time just replacing phasers on these engines, I now try to discount labor and parts so customer can afford to fix it right. Good luck, Hope this helps, Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello wheelinf150 my name is Ivan Rodriguez, i live in Venezuela. I drive a 2006 f150 supercrew with the 5.4 3v engine, it got 70000 miles. sorry to bother you but i took the truck to the mechanics today and he told me that i have to replace the timing chain kit with the pinions, the spark plugs and to fix a exhaust leak on the manifold, oil seals on damper and carter. My question is. Do this engine with this mileage need all of that replacements? and he told me to get it as fast as i can, cause the mileage and it could damege the engine if i dont replace it soon.

Apreciated any input on this.

Sincerely Ivan

Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NickBsf150
Hey everyone, sorry to leave you hanging, but i took my truck into the ford dealership, and one of my buddies who is their mechanic looked into it for me, He noticed that the heads had some sort of blockage, and were starving the engine of oil, SO, in the long run ive ended up having to replace the heads lifters and Camshafts, soooo, we'll see soon if this worked, i still dont have my truck back...thats what i get for getting it repaired for free!
Well I'm not real sure how the heads could starve the engine of oil. The oil in these engines travels from bottom to top being forced out of the lash adjusters, chain tensioners, etc.and running back down into the oil pan (gravity). If there is any oil starvation the first thing to fail usually will be the cam bearings and that will seize the cams up. What type of damage do you have that you need new head assemblies?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:35 AM
change timing chain tensioners,vct soleniods and tb's

Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm setting off to fix the diesel sound here shortly and was hoping someone -- maybe WHEELINF150 -- could clarify a couple things for me quickly.

1) I hunted around for a bit, but haven't been able to get any more information on exactly where in/around the VCT solenoid that debris gets trapped. Is it in the solenoid itself or in the housing/socket it goes into? Perhaps I can get by with cleaning them out rather than buying new ones.

2) Can you replace the timing chain tensioners without removing the chain? I get mixed information here, so if someone has personally and successfully done them without removing chains, please confirm. I don't want to have to re-time the engine, so if they can't be done otherwise, I'll just leave that part alone.

3) The TSB (6-19-08) calls for replacement of the lash adjusters as well as the phasers, although I don't see very much on them here on the site. Would it be worthwhile to replace the lash adjusters as well once I'm in there?

Appreciate all your input guys.

Quick Reply: 5.4 engine ticking