real worried..Weird noise from valve cover please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
real worried..Weird noise from valve cover please help

alright i got a 2005 5.4 and there is a noise coming from the valve cover area. at first it was after driving and it would just be here and there and now its all the time and when i first crank it its shrieking as-well as when i turn it off. at first i thought it was the belt or tensioner but it does it even when the belts off. i have no idea what it is or what i should do . any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a thread about a year ago, where someone had a clanging sound inside the valve cover. A shop had told her she needed a new engine. But after allot of posts it was figured out that the shield inside the oil filler cap had broken loose and was clanging around inside the cover.

I don't know if that is a sound you may be describing, but that came to mind.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The very first thing is to locate as close as you can where its coming from. You mention the cam cover but then also the front cover area. Get an inexpensive mechanics stethescope and listen as someone else starts the engine and shuts it off. Sometimes a noise can even be at the rear and sound like farther up when you hear it from the cab area. It could be a PCV deflection shield as Tumba suggested, there were a few of those but if I recall it was before 2005 and it was a loud clanking noise like a tin can as the cams bounced the loose piece around under the cam cover.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
The noise is deff coming from the front top of the drivers side. right by the power steering fluid reservoir. Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would remove the cam cover and take a look. Could be a roller follower going south. If the noise is there with the belt off then the only thing that has rotating mass in the area you are talking about is the cam/valve train. Look for any of the cam lobes with heavy scoring and for a loose follower or roller that wobbles or appears damaged. Also look at each side of the cam caps right where they make the upper half of the cam bearing for discoloration such as burning or blueing. While the cover is off check the timing chain for slack, it should have very little to no play in it. Let us know what you do or don't find. Take care.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
I would remove the cam cover and take a look. Could be a roller follower going south. If the noise is there with the belt off then the only thing that has rotating mass in the area you are talking about is the cam/valve train. Look for any of the cam lobes with heavy scoring and for a loose follower or roller that wobbles or appears damaged. Also look at each side of the cam caps right where they make the upper half of the cam bearing for discoloration such as burning or blueing. While the cover is off check the timing chain for slack, it should have very little to no play in it. Let us know what you do or don't find. Take care.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM
so i pulled it off and seen nothing at all wrong. the baffle was tight to. i put it back on cause i ran out of daylight.

Quick Reply: real worried..Weird noise from valve cover please help