2001 5.4 p0171

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 5.4 p0171

I had the spark plugs changed thursday at the local dealer. I have a remote start on my truck. Last night when I parked my truck around 10 it was fine. This morning, after using my remote starter, I got in the truck to go to work. I noticed that the CEL was on. I carried it by autozone and they pulled the p0171 code. Could using the remote start have caused this? Truck runs fine. No hesitation or anything. My brother said he had heard of people having problems with the remote start when its this cold. I was just looking for any ideas?

Last edited by bigcountry08; 01-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcountry08
I had the spark plugs changed thursday at the local dealer. I have a remote start on my truck. Last night when I parked my truck around 10 it was fine. This morning, after using my remote starter, I got in the truck to go to work. I noticed that the CEL was on. I carried it by autozone and they pulled the p0171 code. Could using the remote start have caused this? Truck runs fine. No hesitation or anything. My brother said he had heard of people having problems with the remote start when its this cold. I was just looking for any ideas?
Just plug P0171 into the search engine. Here's one:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ug-change.html

It's not the remote start - you need to do some maintenance.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Po171 stands for this: System too lean (Bank 1). I did a little research for ya, and here's what I came up with:

Causes: A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
•There could be a vacuum leak
downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible Solutions:
•In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
•Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary

I would clean the MAF first. If that doesn't work, I would start going through the vacuum lines. I'm having the same issue with my '03 V6, so if you fix it and the code doesn't come back please let me know. It has been about seven months I have fought with my truck. Good luck, and hope this helped!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Well, On the 11th I started my truck and raised the hood. I could hear the air sucking sound. I got to looking and noticed that the pcv valve wasn't completely pushed down. I took it off and checked the hose that goes into the back of the intake and it was in great shape. I put the pcv valve back on and cleaned the maf. Unhooked the battery to reset the computer, and " cross my fingers" the light has remained off ever since, and the truck runs like a charm. It's even quieter going down the road and accelerates alot better also.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4 p0171