05 F150 Ticking Noise Help Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 F150 Ticking Noise Help Needed!!

I have a 2005 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 in it.

It makes a ticking noise when you barely touch the gas and it is only audible to me when going through a drive through and I barely touch the gas?

It is bothering me and I worry about it so any input as to what it may be is greatly appreciated.

The truck has 80,xxx miles and is well cared for.

The sound is like a metal ticking noise click click click click .

Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not uncommon to hear engine noise reflected off a building while driving through a drive thru. Could be a small exhaust leak, fuel injectors, or a VCT. None of which are usually serious. Fuel injectors are notoriously noisy because the NVH on these engines is so low. In other words the engine is so quiet that you can actually hear the injectors pulsing. The VCT ( Variable Cam Timing ) system is also known to make a ticking noise (some do some don't). This is also rarely a durability concern just an annoyance. Some may dispute that but testing proved (at least while I was still there) that it usually does not result in a failure of any kind. An exhaust leak is pretty self explanatory. Of course other components can make a ticking noise but I would say these are the three biggies. Ford engineers actually used a drive thru test which was used to identify these small noises. I remember driving vehicles out of the VO plants and parking them next to a building to listen for noises that would be very difficult to hear anywhere else. Even brand new vehicles right off the line would have some noise when parked next to a wall that couldn't be heard in the open parking lot. If your truck is running fine I wouldn't worry to much about the slight noise unless it gets worse. It's those clanking banging knocking noises that get my attention. Of course if you are concerned you could always go to a reputable mechanic or dealership.Take care.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that info I appreciate it a few shops have looked at it but they want to pull it in the shop and give me a $100 Diagnosis and I say as long as it is running perfect im not too worried but the sound is a little odd in a drive through

Old 11-02-2009, 08:30 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The cam phasers (VCT) on the 5.4 3V are famous for clicking.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Will the cam phasers ticking like that cause any damage?
Also what is a remedy to help that sound?

When I changed to Valvoline full Syn Max Life it seemed to help a little?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The first thing you would have to do is actually locate the area of the noise. Get an inexpensive mechanics stethescope and move the probe around to various areas of the engine. When you locate the noise at its loudest then that will give you a clue to what component is actually generating the noise. I would lean toward the VCT from your discription of the noise but unless we can actually hear it and locate it then we are just guessing. I personally don't think lubrication is going to change anything for you here. The VCT has an internal pin and spring that usually is the source of a tick noise. There can be a clearance stackup condition between the two which allows them to basicly rattle. Anything mechanical has the potential to fail. However from my experience the VCT rarely fails just because it may be making a tick noise. Ford was changing these out under warranty primarily because of the noise complaint not because of a failure mode. There are millions of these engines currently on the road. What percentage have actually had VCT failures is, I would guess a very small percentage. Not reassuring if you happen to be one of them however. I wouldn't be to concerned unless some sort of drivability issue starts happening (code). I personally know a few people ( my son) who have had the VCT tick for years and many miles with no issues at all. Again I'm only using VCT as an example as it may very well be some other component. I hope this helps ease your mind. If you are losing sleep over it by all means take it in and get it checked out. I'm just not sure if the dealer or anyone else isn't going to stick you with an expensive component change that you may never need just to eliminate a tick. Good luck

Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
If it were an exhaust issue. id say the noise will come from the right side. i had a cracked manifold and 2 broken studs. thats fixed but i still have a phaser tick. its annoying.

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Did you check the post dates before replying?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread.

Quick Reply: 05 F150 Ticking Noise Help Needed!!