Take a few seconds to run smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a few seconds to run smoothly

I am new to the Ford Truck world. I purchased a used 07 Screw on July 1st with only 12,000 miles on the clock. I have found that after starting the motor (COLD) it takes a few seconds before the engine will run smoothly. If I start the engine and then place the trans into DRIVE, the engine tends to sputter for a short while and then smooths out. The sputter shows up as reduced power and a obvious roughness. Once the engines warms up ( or a sensor warm up ) all is fine. Again, we are talking about 5-10 seconds to warm up.

I have owned a number of vehicles and this is the only one I have ever had that needs a bit of time at start-up to run well.

Now, I don't need anyone to say, "let it warm up first" but am looking for what might be the cause. A weak/marginal sensor? Is this a normal symptom for a 5.4 3V?

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks! By the way, I love my truck......

Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least wait for it to idle down before you put it in gear. most vehicles do that when they are cold.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arubba
I am new to the Ford Truck world. I purchased a used 07 Screw on July 1st with only 12,000 miles on the clock. I have found that after starting the motor (COLD) it takes a few seconds before the engine will run smoothly. If I start the engine and then place the trans into DRIVE, the engine tends to sputter for a short while and then smooths out. The sputter shows up as reduced power and a obvious roughness. Once the engines warms up ( or a sensor warm up ) all is fine. Again, we are talking about 5-10 seconds to warm up.

I have owned a number of vehicles and this is the only one I have ever had that needs a bit of time at start-up to run well.

Now, I don't need anyone to say, "let it warm up first" but am looking for what might be the cause. A weak/marginal sensor? Is this a normal symptom for a 5.4 3V?

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks! By the way, I love my truck......

What did you drive previously?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
shakes head and walks away

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me be the first to say "let it warm up first".

Do your engine a favour.

As far as I know no motor will like being started and driven with no warm up time when it is stone cold. Are you way too busy to let the oil circulate for a minute or two?

Quick Reply: Take a few seconds to run smoothly