Stranded- HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stranded- HELP!!!

I was driving and everything went dim. My voltmeter did something it never did before, move... It was down low, real low... i Was running on battery for a few miles until I pulled over, SMACKED the alternator with a hammer... The engine Rev's up, lights brightened and i was charging again. I drove to nearest hotel and thats where im at. There are a few parts stores around.

I NEED an alernator correct??? if i smacked it and it started woring, it is just the alt right??? I have next to nothing for money and cant just throw parts... I was on my way home, from Hartford CT to Chicago... help me pweaz

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You smack things with hammers to see if it fixes problems?

It sounds like an alternator issue from what you described. Do you have a multimeter/voltmeter to check outputs?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Suspended
umm. if it gets me off the shoulder of the highway into a safe place yes...

no multimeter.... it wont help.. its intermittent... I know when its charging. when its not...

Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either a bad connection or failed alternater. Take it off and have a parts store check it.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my stock alternator, worked just fine. have yours tested at a parts store and if its bad, ill make ya a deal

Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
You should have kept your 4.6. Just joking. You need to take it to AZ or AAP they can check your alternator for free. They sell reman alternators for $136.

If you want to save some money use these coupons

http://clhousingpictures.com/viewer....5jqedygqay.png
http://image.advanceauto-email.com/l...0e542975-1.jpg

Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Suspended
thanks for the coupon. I definately used it...

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Fire it up and wiggle the alternator pigtail slowly in all directions (you should hear the if the alternator is turning on and off), the pigtail on our 3g alternators notorious for bad connections. My old pigtail looked perfect but only made connection when I wiggled it, replaced it with a new one for about 9 bucks from the parts store. Other than that it would be the regulator..
Hope this helps....good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1st, check the connections! 2nd, it's probably the alternator!....Good luck! Why the heck would you be travelling without no $$$?........

Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds under control...

why are people surprised of the power of a hammer? dont you know real mechanics smack the **** out of things to see if it changes how its working before they use a wrench?! come on, its not just a trick for failing starters LOL

checked for corrosion too right?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
sounds under control...

why are people surprised of the power of a hammer? dont you know real mechanics smack the **** out of things to see if it changes how its working before they use a wrench?! come on, its not just a trick for failing starters LOL

checked for corrosion too right?
That's what they charge $100.+ an hr. for? No wonder they won't let you back in the shop, and they said it was insurance regulations.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Suspended
it was the alternator... I changed it out yesterday morning and got home safe... my voltmeter has NEVER moved before I could have my high beams, running lights, spot lights, radio, everything going at once, and needle wouldnt budge.... but not I got new alternator, runs mint!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you got her fixed, -sucks being far away from home base when things happen.

Had front brake problems once, -in my travels. The rivets holding the metal plates on one side let go. Plates got mangled, sounded like front axle gears went out. Well , I had to pull to shoulder of the fast lane at 2:00 in the morning/ jack her up/ pull the wheel/ remove what was left of the brake pad plates , drivers side. Yep, used a hammer, chisel - even a big *** pair of Channel locks lol.

Glad I had tools with me. I replaced the entire brake system when I got her back home - I mean EVERYTHING

BTW- Still running my original alternator on the 98. They sure last a long time.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Suspended
yea, had 180k on mine.. did not want to let it go since it was a motorcraft, wanted to rebuild it... but i had to go with a cheap throw away to get home...

Old 07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
yea, had 180k on mine.. did not want to let it go since it was a motorcraft, wanted to rebuild it... but i had to go with a cheap throw away to get home...
Watch Ebay for those - There's a few guys that get those Romeo crate motors and part out all that stuff cheap, but you have to watch for it. That's how I replaced most of my stuff.

The engines they get were 4.6L's , but allot of the stuff is interchangeable with the 5.4L. I've seen quite a few alternators for 30 bucks - new 130 ampers! Same with AC compressors and such. - Factory originals that new, but have been bolted down, so they don't sell them as new parts. Which of course drops the price considerably.. Some were interceptor motor set ups and those had the heavy duty set ups.

Here's a few parts from them I've seen. -

I bought a wiring harness from them and they thru this in with it lol - I sold it, made a little bit on it.

I've purchased a vacuum harness, PCV system, injectors this way.

Anyways, yea watch ebay, you can stock up on parts -dirt cheap!

Last edited by jbrew; 07-03-2009 at 04:52 PM.