Opinions (Wisdom) Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions (Wisdom) Wanted

Hi All
I have a 2000 4.6L xlt and I am turning 180,000 Miles in a few weeks. Here is my situation.
I seem to have sprung another leak in my heater core (which had a hose replaced last year). I will dump the coolant and add some stop leak this weekend. I noticed the unmistakeable smell of old antifreeze coming through the vents when I would accelerate to pass or merge.
I also have some ticking coming from the front of the motor which I am sure is my tensioners. I was dumb and when I first got the truck 6 years ago I ran Valvolines 10W-50 VR oil in it for about 25,000 miles. Thats when the chatter began to occur. I joined this site shortly there after and found out that the oil was a big no-no and when I switched to the factory spec dino oil it went away. It has come back and I am sure it is just age and mileage. I have also recently began to experience a little tapping from the bottom of the motor (not the cat shield) and I am pretty sure it may be one of the mains. A quick estimate puts me at about $4000 for repairs. The truck in "new" condition bluebook's for about $5000 and I am closer to fair condition. I could get $3500 for the truck from a private sale I am pretty sure. I replaced the control arms and the suspension all the way around the truck at 120,000 miles. I don't have $4000 cash handy so I have been considering trading up to an 07 or 08. I am not interested in a $30,000 truck right now and as you are all aware, I can purchase an 08 5.4 Crew Cab XLT for around $18,000. I could also get a 5.4 and computer from a yard and have a mechanic friend do the swap for me, however I do not know how advantageous this would be and might possibly introduce more problems. On top of that I am still on the original transmission and I have only done regular service. She has her odd days where she stays in gear a tad too long or is a bit hesitant to shift but otherwise she is in good condition as I have never really stressed it with towing or heavy loads except for the occasional home depot project.
While I am very handy with a wrench, time is the issue and my travel interferes with any possibility of me taking on the project, not to mention I already have a little 1980 MGB project car in the garage and my wifes X3 as well.
I have read the swaps on the forum. My truck has been worked hard but taken care of equally well (except for the little stint of 10W-50).
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd trade up.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
I'd trade up.
+1....now is the best time.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd recommend trading up. Just be aware of all the issues with the 04-08 5.4's (spark plugs, cam phasers, etc.). Unless you need a crew cab or need to tow a bigass trailer, to me a V-6 or a 4.6 would be a better bet. Good used V-6's are dirt cheap, and very reliable.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Thank you!

Originally Posted by glc
I'd recommend trading up. Just be aware of all the issues with the 04-08 5.4's (spark plugs, cam phasers, etc.). Unless you need a crew cab or need to tow a bigass trailer, to me a V-6 or a 4.6 would be a better bet. Good used V-6's are dirt cheap, and very reliable.
Ironically there was a shortage of V6 (04+) that had the amenities I wanted available in a regular cab. I do have a son and we are a big outdoor/camping family. Additionally we have property on a lake nearby that we are working in addition to renovations at my studio and the typical weekend warrior projects at the house. Looking back I see I neglected to explain why I want a truck as opposed to a car. Now here is an interesting fact as well.

I really want to buy a Cadillac CTS-V.
Seriously.

It is so incredibly impractical for me right now it sucks!!!!! For example, last week I replaced the ceiling in my studio. This involved a delivery of building materials (on an 18 wheeler LOL) from Lowes, and my equipment rentals and other supplies that went so well in my personal truck. A few months ago I did some hurricane cleanup and loaded 3,000 pounds of scrap steel onto a 1800 lb twin axel trailer and hauled it 50 miles to the yard. Before that I brought 1500 lbs of rock home to build a patio around the deck I completed the year before. Don't forget 3 awesome camping trips this year, two new gardens, and of course, the recording studio.....
So in reality, I should have a vehicle that offers those capabilities because barring bad health or unemployment, our life style remains. We are doers and like to do. The V6 got nixed when there was no Crew Cab available thus my music equipment nor my kid would fit. And thats really important you know, that your equipment is safe.......and the kid HA HA HA.
My wife has an X3 and what a great behicle. BUt it is a glorified grocery getter. I considered the path finder or a four runner (sorry but the explorer just didn't do it for me). I even considered and aviator but they seem to be far and few.
Enter crew cab 5.4's. I have spent the past few years some what relishing the fact that despite being relatively small potatoes compared to the 5.4, there was very little probability of me ejecting a plug and eating a cam. No failed fuel injectors to speak of and a relatively solid drive train to boot. I like power just as much as the next guy but my practical side usually whens (along with the threat of "sewing up the crack" by my super hot wife). My 4.6 has performed all of the jobs above flawlessly. I'm 32 so I am still young and I do enjoy reading about others experiences with the 5.4. I am a gear head at heart to and prefer a twisty road in the country any day to the t.v. I want to enjoy my driving experience or "have it on tap" per se'.
Ford got it right IMP with the 4.0. A great V6 for the truck and made very well. Gas mileage a plus too. And that's another point. My round trip commute to and from work is 13.6 miles or 6.8 miles one way. I don't fill up but every couple of weeks so the fuel has not been an issue and if it is then I can drive the little MGB.
Thanks for reading this if you endeavored to LOL. I very much respect your opinion on this GLC and all the others that respond as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The 3V heads were modified once again for the 08 + models, correct? Or was it for the 09's. No more plug issues supposedly.

Or is that all bunk? I've read that here and there, but really have NO supporting "hard" data. I may PM Quintin on this one if I can't find anything here.

What I thought was interesting about the phasers is that they have been damaged on the passenger side mostly. The damage came from the engine being fired up with the lube spout (oil fill) left in the valve cover @ service. They check level after fire up and add if necessary. Spout would come in contact with passenger side phaser and damage it. Troyer had that in a write up.

Yea, a used 4.6 would be the safest as far as V8's. We have had the 4.2L and 5.4L; both trucks were 98's. Big difference in towing between the two, the V8 has a few bolt on's, but the 5four even had better economy than the little V6. That was my experience anyway.

I would have to get some questions answered first before making a choice on a new truck. Personally, I'm holding out for the future Raptor as a the new DD or a twin turbo diesel, but that doesn't seam to be in the cards for Ford anytime soon..

So did the 08 5.4 Crew Cab XLT recieve updated heads from 07?

Good Luck malexander52.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks Brew!

Originally Posted by jbrew
The 3V heads were modified once again for the 08 + models, correct? Or was it for the 09's. No more plug issues supposedly.

Or is that all bunk? I've read that here and there, but really have NO supporting "hard" data. I may PM Quintin on this one if I can't find anything here.

What I thought was interesting about the phasers is that they have been damaged on the passenger side mostly. The damage came from the engine being fired up with the lube spout (oil fill) left in the valve cover @ service. They check level after fire up and add if necessary. Spout would come in contact with passenger side phaser and damage it. Troyer had that in a write up.

Yea, a used 4.6 would be the safest as far as V8's. We have had the 4.2L and 5.4L; both trucks were 98's. Big difference in towing between the two, the V8 has a few bolt on's, but the 5four even had better economy than the little V6. That was my experience anyway.

I would have to get some questions answered first before making a choice on a new truck. Personally, I'm holding out for the future Raptor as a the new DD or a twin turbo diesel, but that doesn't seam to be in the cards for Ford anytime soon..

So did the 08 5.4 Crew Cab XLT recieve updated heads from 07?

Good Luck malexander52.

A half ton diesel would be AWESOME! Probably more than I want to pay but holy cow what a torque monster!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by malexander52

A half ton diesel would be AWESOME! Probably more than I want to pay but holy cow what a torque monster!
I know they have it on paper, I think they even built one. Twin Turbo between 4-5 liters(think it was a 4.4L) w/ 400 hp/ 500 torque. Question is will they give it to production?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The revised heads appeared sometime in the 08 model year I believe. I think the way to tell which you have is the color of the cops - old heads have black cops and new heads have brown cops.

Maybe you can find a good used Screw with a 4.6?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy the caddy and rent a U-haul when needed????? My choice; fix the truck. Your 2000 already has coil packs so the 5.4 swap is real easy. A replacement 4.6 is even easier. Get a 2000 or newer 2 valve and swap your intake over and it is a direct plug in using your existing harness.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
Buy the caddy and rent a U-haul when needed????? My choice; fix the truck. Your 2000 already has coil packs so the 5.4 swap is real easy. A replacement 4.6 is even easier. Get a 2000 or newer 2 valve and swap your intake over and it is a direct plug in using your existing harness.
he cant use his intake on pi heads can he? 2001 was the first year the 4.6 had pi heads. 99 was the first year for the 5.4.

Last edited by Matts ford; 03-27-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Id look for a 04+ 4.6 or a low miles 2003 5.4 they made some heritage 2v 5.4 in 04 to. I wouldnt touch an 04-08 5.4 3v. My experiance has been restoring old cars is generally NOT worth it financially. I have some experiance with that to back that up..The best move is to buy something already new.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you don't mind the payment, time to go shopping.
A friend (Rob) of mine and his wife just bought a 2008 w/ almost 20,000 miles, crew cab in mint condition for a little over 18k. It wasn't a lease or a repo. It had something to do with Ford directly owning the truck, maybe an Exec vehicle or something like that. They did purchase an extended warranty because of the miles already on it. Rob is a diehard Ford man. His work truck is an F250 Diesal. Her trade in was the Ford SportTrac. They had some serious problems with that vehicle from the beginning and it was purchased new, under 100 miles. They ended up putting 3 tranny's in it, in the last 7 tears and the last major mess was the front end was pretty shot. He dumped it and got decent trade $$$$ for it. They got an excellent deal on it. A year ago, that truck retailed for over 30k.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Matts ford
he cant use his intake on pi heads can he? 2001 was the first year the 4.6 had pi heads. 99 was the first year for the 5.4.
Yes you are correct. Missed the cut off buy a year. A 2000 is the only match for a 4.6. to be able to use COPs and Non Pi heads. Should have read my notes. :o

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks again all!

The Mrs. and I have looked over the finances and decided to apply that car note to another credit card for the next three months and then make the deal. I am interested in the following:

04+ 5.4L (with ultimate warranty LOL)
FX2 is super cool
30,000 or less miles

Quick Reply: Opinions (Wisdom) Wanted