Need starter wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need starter wiring help

My 99 has the braided copper wire hanging out of the starter with the end corroded off and also a small red wire from the relay hanging loose.

Any idea where these are supposed bolt up to?

I am guessing the solenoid but would rather not guess.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Red wire connects to the small post. Braided - to the post above that, then into the case.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-12-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks jbrew, just get the single click though after trying. Does this mean the starters shot?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Not sure, sounds like a connection problem. How did this happen ? That might help. Need a little info - Did you forget where the wires went or something?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Not sure, sounds like a connection problem. How did this happen ? That might help. Need a little info - Did you forget where the wires went or something?
Truck wouldn't start yesterday so I pushed it in the garage, jacked it up and found what I described in first post.

This is a replacement starter from 3 years ago as the first was so corroded that that solenoid casing broke trying to take the wires off on the side of the road.

Evidently the nut holding the small red wire came off or corroded off and the braided wire connector definetely corroded off at the connector.

Ground on frame looks good and the battery is fully charged and new.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ib fast
Truck wouldn't start yesterday so I pushed it in the garage, jacked it up and found what I described in first post.

This is a replacement starter from 3 years ago as the first was so corroded that that solenoid casing broke trying to take the wires off on the side of the road.

Evidently the nut holding the small red wire came off or corroded off and the braided wire connector definetely corroded off at the connector.

Ground on frame looks good and the battery is fully charged and new.
Yea , I'm on my third starter for the same reason. I never had one go bad - they corrode and break at that little post. The new replacements have changed and Ford has realized the problem. There's a TSB on it now. Replacements come with a type pig tail.

If you have a factory replacement and remember where you got the last one, chances are you can get a free one if it breaks again. AND if you purchased a Bosch replacement. They keep the info on file.

I just learned that not to long ago. I brought the starter back a few years later - NO RECEIPT and walked out with a new one. Free.

If it's real bad - Take it back, they have your info in the system.

Here's what's left of the TSB I have here lol -

New Starter -

Last edited by jbrew; 03-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I half azz hooked up the braided wire to the post without a connector end and the starter passed the test at autozone.
Checked it twice to make sure.

I also found a local Grand Rapids rebuild shop that had these starters for 65.00 with 1 year warranty with exchange.
Anyone needing a starter thats not covered under the warranty and lives in a metro area could probably save a few bucks with a phone call or two.

Quick Reply: Need starter wiring help