New Thumpr cam 5.4 3 valve Anyone Done or considering!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Thumpr cam 5.4 3 valve Anyone Done or considering!

Is anyone considering putting in OR did put in
comp cam New Thumpr cam for 5.4 3valve?

I'm Really seriously thinking about doing it to my truck. I LOVE that thumping sound it gives, sounds awsome!

I'm just considering Who and how much someone wants to do it around my area (i might do it myself,depending apon installation price)

Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard of it... where did you find it cause I'm interested. Is there a video on youtube of one running so you can here it? Need more info.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Here's the specs and a video of the cam.

http://www.motorator.com/blog/ford/c...r-3v-ford-cams

I would really be worried about bottom end torque with this cam in a big heavy truck... but it does sound COOL!

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
lol damn 750rpm to 6800 lol thats a hell of a range

Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Faster150
lol damn 750rpm to 6800 lol thats a hell of a range
LOL I know, but that is just that; the operating range (it had BETTER be able to operate at a 750 rpm idle!) The important question is where does it make POWER? The smallest Thumpr says "good midrange" and "power gains over 4500 rpms". We all know you can either have upper-end HP or bottom end torque, and with a 5000 lb truck, you better opt for the torque unless you plan on racing from a 60mph roll.

I would just like to see some real-world dyno sheets on this.

(but it STILL sounds cool!)

Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 AM
BTW, Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it. I would just like to know how well it would perform in one of our trucks (ulterior motive; let someone else be the guinea pig before I buy a set for MY truck)

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
thumpr

yeah, it sounds awsome
(sounds like my old 66 f100, with a stroked 460, which i sold year ago)

There is 3 of them. I'm thinking of going in the middle (very rough idle). Can use stock springs, no mods. But will need There phaser kit. which we all know about stock phasers. And you will need a Tune for the cam exchange (which i found a place will send tune at no extra charge) And no sacrifices in long term durability.

I was hoping someone was (ginny) LOL Especially in a f150 (i've already seen they work great in Mustangs)

What i was reading, it does give more power thru out, but most in the middle/higher RPM.
Which makes you think...thats a lot of money for sound (true)
BUTT....If someone really wants that sound (like i do) Your going to pay for it and its that one thing that is very different when you pull up to another F150!

I'm trying to find a chart of Torque compared to stock. I Do Not want to put one in if i'm loosing bottom end (which i was hoping it would gain some)

They should make Thumpr cam for Low end tourqe WITH the Thumping sound!! (maybe custom grind???)

i read a guy put in the thumpr cam in 5.4 3v, in a mustang. He did loose some torque of bottom line, but he said it gain it back very quickly, becuase the engine reved faster.

Then, they say when you install the phaser kit, you unlock the motor More, which will make up the loss, plus some...(i don't know what the plus is though)

Here is Some posts and info (tuning too) on them:

http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

Anyone from michigan want to puts some in my truck???

Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Read this. These new hydraulic roller camshafts will turn your naturally aspirated or blower-equipped Ford 3 valve engine into a performance machine with a minimum of installation difficulty, requiring only the addition of the COMP Cams® Cam Phaser Limiter Kit (#5449) and computer tuning. If you don't install the Cam Phaser limiter you will push a piston up into the valve. Now that will not sound cool.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
up

yeah, i've read that on the phasers. There is actually 2 different companies you can use (i would stick with Comp)
they say it will unlock more power too.

In return, my truck is a 04 with 30,000 on it and the phaser haven't been changed yet. There not out yet, but i'm thinking one is starting to go out. lol

I'd rev it up, when it comes down on the RPM..i would here a little knock is all on one side.

SO...i figured if i'm going to change the phaser's, might as well put in some Ecoustically sounds (lol) Thumpr sound

Wish i knew someone around my area that has the wedge and lifter tool (hate to buy it and only use it once)

i'm going to call a company monday (the one that will supply tune) and talk to them on everthing.
Then call PHP on the gryphon (i haven't bought that yet either)

I JUST maybe your Pig yet!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Seems to me like a lot of trouble and expense to improve the exhaust note.

For most drivers, the smallest of the 3 grinds would probably be the best compromise for a daily driver truck, where you did not want to lose much low end.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by bigbuckmiddaugh
In return, my truck is a 04 with 30,000 on it and the phaser haven't been changed yet.
Dang! You don't drive very much, do you?

Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
For most drivers, the smallest of the 3 grinds would probably be the best compromise for a daily driver truck, where you did not want to lose much low end.

That's my opinion, too, unless I had a regular cab, short wb truck that don't weigh much more than a car.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 AM
yeah

yeah, it doesn't get driven a lot.

i'm going to do some calling today (monday)

Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
They WILL fit!

just got off phone with comp cam.
YES, they will fit all 5.4 3valve, with phaser kit

Problem i can't find anyone to relearn computer

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Good to go!

Well,
just got off phone and i have cams ordered, along with SCT 3 tuner, cam phaser bolts. Which were 20.00 a whack! (geeze)

Went with FRPP Cams instead of comp cam. Why? Because FRPP cams have same Lope sound as thumpr, But The low torque curve is pretty much same as stock cam , AND...you can still use your Stock Phasers with out valve banging issues. No phaser kit involved

they said they have been installing 12 sets a week(wow), more if they can fit them in! They did do a f150 for a guy and it turned out Very good and all was well.

They actually were designed/tested in the f150 baja racing truck!

Whenever i'm able to get them in and done, i'll put some sound pics up. I'm sure i'll get ants in my pants after i get them here! lol

I'm thinking long tube headers now, but i want to see how sound is with the setup i have now.

over and out (10-4) good buddy

Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
how much was your grand total if you don't mind me asking and where did you buy from.

Quick Reply: New Thumpr cam 5.4 3 valve Anyone Done or considering!