Running like crap. Cant figure it out. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jbrew, thanks for that info on the coils. I have never had a single problem with the 1-4 cylinders. None of my original coil springs in my 97 don't look like either of those. The replacement coil from Oreillys looks like the bottom spring though. Im going out right now to buy new plugs and replace the bad #7 coil. Hopefully my problems will be solved for now. To top it off, my window came off track the other day as well. Got that fixed this morning. I just bought a newer one so I am trying to get this one fixed up to sell.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, I've been round and round with these ignitions. Once one coil goes, it might not run right until you replace them all. Real picky systems. One little short in a older system might cause a domino effect. It's happened to me before.

She didn't run right until I replaced all the damn coils. I've got away with replacing one before. There's been times I haven't, specially with the green labels and yellow labeled Motorcraft coils .

It's an integrity thing with these things. Sometimes you just have to treat the system as a whole or you'll be pulling your hair out.

It doesn't have to make sense - it just has tuh work right.

Keep that in mind

Last edited by jbrew; 12-19-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I think Im now an expert with these coils as well. This 97 has never gave me any troubles other than the plugs and coils. Looks like two coils this time went bad which really through me for a loop with the three different codes I got in the last two days. I replaced one coil last year and it did fine until now. To let everyone know, I got 4 new Motorcraft plugs in and another new coil and it is running as good as new now. But the bad thing is that the 01 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 70,000 I just bought to replace my 97 now has a misfire at around 1600 RPM. Did not have it when I test drove it dang it. Looks like I will buying 8 new plugs and coils for that one as well. Will probably get the coils from Global that has them for $70 for all eight. Most say they work just fine.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by lzrj
Ok guys. I have a 97 5.4L with 108,000 miles. I just took a 300 hundred mile round trip and pulled back a 5,500 pound load. It ran great. After I unloaded and started driving, the check engine light came on. It still ran fine. The next day while driving I started having a major misfire. I scanned it and came up with #8 cylinder misfire and P1151 code. All day today, I changed the plug and ignition coil for #8 (All plugs were changed out 20,000 miles ago). I also took the throttle body and EGR valve off and gave everything a good cleaning. Put it back together and it is still running like crap. It runs slightly rough at idle and clunking during acceleration. I drove around a few miles to try to get the service light to come back on so I can have it read again but it has not yet came on. At idle it feels like maybe one cylinder is not firing. Would a bad O2 sensor alone cause this behavior. Or how can I find out if it might be a bad cat or injector gone out. Or could a bad plug do this. Im scratching my head cause I don't know what my next step should be.
i was going to post a new thread, I have a 97' 5.4, mine started doing something similar tonight. i was on the highway, everything was fine, then it started clunking, the check engine light began to flash. i shut the truck off, waited, turning it back on i was doing ok for a couple of miles, then it started again. i bought my plugs at the dealership last fall, so i doubt its them. feels like tis not getting enough gas and clunks really hard. i dont have a code reader. ill have to borrow one.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 AM
forgot to add, if i shut the truck off, it'll let me go awhile before starting to klunk and having the check engine light begine to flash

Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by gallen97
i was going to post a new thread, I have a 97' 5.4, mine started doing something similar tonight. i was on the highway, everything was fine, then it started clunking, the check engine light began to flash. i shut the truck off, waited, turning it back on i was doing ok for a couple of miles, then it started again. i bought my plugs at the dealership last fall, so i doubt its them. feels like tis not getting enough gas and clunks really hard. i dont have a code reader. ill have to borrow one.
357 is Primary failure. Coils not considered "bad" inconsistant - "Primary" = Coil/cylinder is dead. Fuel system problems ie Pump/filter usually result in problems on bank 2 (furthest away from the pump filter) . The OP's problems are on bank 1.

Global Auto sells coils @ $9 apiece.

lzrj, knows what he has to do.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-20-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 AM
anyway i can check the coils (i laymen terms) without a code reader? i dont think i can get one until tommrow or monday, and i have to work monday ngith for sure.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by gallen97
anyway i can check the coils (i laymen terms) without a code reader? i dont think i can get one until tommrow or monday, and i have to work monday ngith for sure.
What the hell are you talking about ? ANYWAY -Stealing ones thread just confuses..What are you after? Being inconsiderate isn't the way

Last edited by jbrew; 12-20-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Running like crap. Cant figure it out. Please help