PO405 code and stmble

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stmble with PO405 code

i have a code of P0405 and i also have what feels like a missfire but is very significant when it is cold and once the engine is warm i can not feel it as much. could the dpfe have something to do with the stuble and only happening when it is cold? I dont want to change something the does not need to be changed.

Last edited by supercrewser13; 11-17-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
First things first - Are you absolutely sure it's 405 ? If so , this is the first case I've heard of .

Well that code IMO means hose failure from the DPFE. Check the hoses thoroughly, most likley your DPFE sensor itself is fried. Get one @ Ford only.

You could have a bad EGR valve to add to the problem. But your not getting a code for it. I wouldn't think twice about throwing those two parts at it if I had high miles..

You could also have a bad coil. It might be a good time to update this hardware and clean your TB and Elbow.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-17-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Yes i am positive that it is p0405 i looked at the machine and that is what it came up with. i checked out my dpfe and somehow the hose actually fell off reconnected it and have not yet reset the light but i still have the stumble when it is cold that is prominent i am going to disconnect the dpfe sensor and try to drive while cold to see if it does the same thing. I was thinking maybe coils also but that would do it all the time correct?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM

If the stumble is more prominent when cold it is the IAC that's giving you the problem most likley. The O2's come into play once the heaters put them @ 800 degree's ( once the engine warms) . The IAC still plays a part , but a much smaller one.

BTW - This is how you fix that if you don't want to replace -

The IAC is located on the back of your plenum (throttle body elbow) - there's 3 IAC's in this pic -

Clean with a product called "DeepCreep" , made by SeaFoam .

Here's what you clean -

Procedure as follows -

Saturate w/DeepCreep. Work the mechanical's inside the IAC (plunger) to break free carbon deposits. Blow out w/compressed air. Repeat two or three times. DeepCreep cleans and lubes the IAC at the the same time and won't hurt it. Other products will.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-18-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM
thanks jbrew. i do not have to take the intake plenum off to get that off do I. also what do you mean by work the mecanicalsl? am i supposed to take like a qtip and work that around?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by supercrewser13
thanks jbrew. i do not have to take the intake plenum off to get that off do I. also what do you mean by work the mecanicalsl? am i supposed to take like a qtip and work that around?

No, you can do it without taking everything apart, - It's not the easiest thing, but it can be done..

Old 11-19-2008, 11:51 PM
thanks jbrew i am going to give it a shot tommorow. whats the best way to clean in there or just let it soak then blow it out. or should i rub around in there with a qtip?

Quick Reply: PO405 code and stmble