2004 Navigator Possable EGR or Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Navigator Possable EGR or Fuel Issues

Okay I know this isn't a Navigator site but I can't find one with any tech info worth a damn. I guess the normal late model Nav owner doesn't work on his own truck so there isn't a need but some of us are mechanically inclined I guess it's just rare. So I come to the ford truck boys for some advise. We're talking about the 5.4 with 32 valves. I've been doing some reading up on EGR issues with the 4.6 and 5.4 although my motor is quite differant I think i'm having a very simalar issues.

Background on the problems, Truck has always idled a little rough so I thought it was plugs but of course lincoln gave me the it's got 100k plugs non-sence. So I haven't really bothered with handling them yet and after reading up on the EGR issues alot of F150 guys are having i'm thinking this may be where my problem is coming from. The truck has since started to "Cough" while under light to medium acceleration or at constant intersate speeds. It's acting like it just looses fuel for a half second and comes right back. It's also totally stalled twice once while running 60-65 and once leaving a dead stop. The issue it very intermitent and happens at any given time. I really don't care to go to the stealership and get a stupid quote on getting this thing fixed when I'm more than capable of swaping out a few parts myself. My pockets aren't loaded I'm a Sportbike mechanic so turning wrenches is a given. Was wondering if anyone is familier with the issue on this slightly differant motor. Will post some pics here in a few with the bonnet off. Can't find the EGR valve on this truck it's not where a normal ford would be unless i'm just blind. Any help would be great thanks....

Old 09-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Is the EGR Valve on this motor Plastic?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Another Unknown valve

Old 09-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by User Error
Is the EGR Valve on this motor Plastic?

either a hose is blocking the view of it, or i'm getting rusty spotting them, but i dont see one in any of the photos. The close up picture you posted last is something vacuum related, i am guessing heater controlled, but its definitely not the egr. The egr valve will be coming off an exhaust manifold and connects to the intake plenum.

The latest picture you posted (with the green and white fittings) has to do with your Evap system iirc, that has to do with gas vapors.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by apeiron
either a hose is blocking the view of it, or i'm getting rusty spotting them, but i dont see one in any of the photos. The close up picture you posted last is something vacuum related, i am guessing heater controlled, but its definitely not the egr. The egr valve will be coming off an exhaust manifold and connects to the intake plenum.

The latest picture you posted (with the green and white fittings) has to do with your Evap system iirc, that has to do with gas vapors.
The last pic with the green and white fittings one of those hoses comes up to the top of the intake the other goes down towards the tranny tunnel, I mean it was my best guess at the EGR on this truck but I've never seen a plastic one or one shaped differant than what i've seen on most other vehicles. Plus the green cap on the top right side of that valve appears to come from the back portion of it so that kind amde me rule it out... Confusion is really getting the best of me here...

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Also if you've never seen a PCV valve on this motor thats it in the close up of the valve and tranny dip stick... it's right above the valve with the partial metal hose wraped around it. Had the dealer's parts guy pull me one last time I was there expecting a 5-10$ part it's 75 and looks like spagetti with like 5 hoses that come with it that have to be replaced with the PCV

Old 09-07-2008, 02:42 AM
The last pic with the green and white fittings one of those hoses comes up to the top of the intake the other goes down towards the tranny tunnel, I mean it was my best guess at the EGR on this truck but I've never seen a plastic one or one shaped differant than what i've seen on most other vehicles. Plus the green cap on the top right side of that valve appears to come from the back portion of it so that kind amde me rule it out... Confusion is really getting the best of me here...

Yeah, that will connect to the intake as well, what it does is when your gas tank gets hot and the gasses expands it will vent into the intake instead of venting to the outside air.

Most ford's i've seen have a simple diagram on the core support that will show where the egr valve is.

Also if you've never seen a PCV valve on this motor thats it in the close up of the valve and tranny dip stick... it's right above the valve with the partial metal hose wraped around it. Had the dealer's parts guy pull me one last time I was there expecting a 5-10$ part it's 75 and looks like spagetti with like 5 hoses that come with it that have to be replaced with the PCV

My mustang GT had a similar bulls*it pcv valve, one couldnt just buy the valve you had to buy a whole hose assembly crap, which is probably why i never replaced that thing. That is one thing i really hate about fords, they like to sell you unnecessary parts to replace a simple cheap part.

Last edited by apeiron; 09-07-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd normally be really mean and take the stealership thing to heart, since I work for a dealer and you look like you're a little out of your element, but I'm in a generous mood today.

The EGR valve is buried under/behind the upper intake manifold. To get to it, you have to remove the upper intake, but I doubt that's your problem.

There's a few things to check on those Aggrivators.

Name:  NaviMotor.jpg
Views: 13344
Size:  71.0 KB

Inspect that connection where the red arrow is. They commonly rot through and cause a vacuum leak, causing a surging/rough running/stalling concern. That's part of the hose you mentioned earlier that has to be replaced as a complete assembly - and contrary to popular belief, they don't sell you the whole thing to try to rip you off. From the PCV valve, go to the passenger's side of the intake manifold, there'll be a similar looking elbow, that rots through sometimes too.

About your rough idling problem, well, without looking at it myself, it's hard to say. Those engines were real bad about valves sticking/leaking, usually on cylinders 7 and/or 8, and it's exaggerated by folks who don't want to run premium fuel in those things.

Also, about the stalling part, there's a harness that runs by/behind the battery tray. Sometimes, batteries leak acid and the acid runs down into the harness, corroding wires and causing a poor connection. Normally this shows itself as a really bad hesitation, 'cause it gets the wires that go from the PCM to the mass air sensor. Sometimes it can show itself as a no-start, because it'll get the wires that go to the PATS transceiver inside. I've never seen it cause a stall, but I don't see why it couldn't, there's a lot of mission critical wiring over there. Inspect the harness running by the battery tray, make sure it's not wet or oily with battery acid.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Well thanks for being in a generous mood today. Out of my element yea a little I'll agree with that but I think I can get it done with a little outside info from those who know. Pulled the battery, battery tray and even pulled back some of the loom to inspect the wires all still appear new and unharmed. The PCV hoses don't show any dry rot I'm still going to replace on monday due to some oily build up around the PCV itself. Now the hose below your arrow that comes from the fire wall with the green connecter on the opposing end does show some signs of heat rot as you can see in the photo the rubber falling down below it but i'm not seeing/ feeling any cracks threw in it time to replace but prolly not my issue. On the valves sticking I can't' speak on the previous 61k miles since thats when I bought it but the last 13-14k it's had nothing but premium fuel. The stalling is a direct result of the coughing it's doing while under way. I'm not thinking the rough idle is the same issue. cause it was there long before this issue it hasn't gotten worse where this problem has gotten worse over the last two weeks or so. I might add i don't drive the truck much over 10-15 miles a day if that helps. The "cough" really feels like a lack of fuel for a split second the motor just dies quickly and comes right back kinda like a misfire of sorts very intermittent but appears to possably be happening around the 2k rpm mark most times but once in a while it's under 2k but I hardly ever get the truck over 2k i've stomped down on it a few times to see if the probolem persists under hard acceleration and nothing runs out like a champ.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
On the PCV valve i know they throw in all the hoses for a reason I learned that on my expedtion long time ago its just this one has so many hoses it was odd... and the hose wraped around it was differant... I also should mention the truck is throwing no codes or warning lights...

Quick Reply: 2004 Navigator Possable EGR or Fuel Issues