'98 4.6l with 115K. How extensive tuneup would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 4.6l with 115K. How extensive tuneup would you do?

Truck runs fine. 65k since plugs, original wires and O2's. 35k since tranny and transfer case service and fuel filter. I can get plugs, wires, tranny/transfer service, and fuel filter for about $650 at a local shop in Cheney, WA.

What would you do? Mileage has always seemed a low 14-15 and I drive 99%highway 60-70MPH with commuting at around 35 miles round trip. When towing 1 quad I get 12.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AJC629
Truck runs fine. 65k since plugs, original wires and O2's. 35k since tranny and transfer case service and fuel filter. I can get plugs, wires, tranny/transfer service, and fuel filter for about $650 at a local shop in Cheney, WA.

What would you do? Mileage has always seemed a low 14-15 and I drive 99%highway 60-70MPH with commuting at around 35 miles round trip. When towing 1 quad I get 12.
well that sounds good...but if it were me..bein the cheap guy i am...i would get the plugs wires and fuel filter and do that my self...i know at my place we charge 100 bucks for tranny service and 40 for 4x4 service..and 70 for spark plug changin out and 30 for a fuel filter...id do what i can myself and take it to someone and get the transfer and tranny done..and ive done more of our body style f150 fuel filter and i know how much of a pain they are...might as well buy one and get the tranny people to put it on for ya 10 bucks maybe..thats what id do..but if you have 650 bucks and wanna spend it then go ahead..sounds like at 115k miles your lookin at a good tune up..good luck and keep on takin care of that truck ya got there

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm back. Okay, where do I go to find Motorcraft AWSF-32PP plugs and wires?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 AM
get plugs from dealership. and as far as wires go, they are either good or their bad. if they are arking then their bad. i wouldnt worry about them unless they are bad. but i would buy a set in case you break some. i recommend the napa beldin wires or the ford racing wires. the transfer case should just use atf tranny fluid and just use a 3/8 drive ratchet to take out the drain and filler plugs and use a cone style cap to fill the transfer case. you can do all this yourself. and have a good mechanic or dealership do the tranny flush, and fuel filter unless you have the correct size fuel line release tool (5/16 i believe). with the mileage, if the transmission has never been serviced i'd do a tranny filter too.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
F150online
Administrator
Test reply

Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Just do it all yourself. Even the trans service. That year has a torque converter drain so you can get at least 90% of the fluid out. t-case is easy, and so is the fuel filter. When was the last time you changed your coolant, brake fluid, diff fluids and power steering fluid? Might be a good idea to look at those too, especially if you are going to keep the truck for a while. Let us know what you do.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 AM
I see a few Motorcraft plug numbers for this motor. I bought the AGSF32FM. Correct? $9 each.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Terrible news! Of course after they change the plugs, wires and fuel filter, we find out the tranny is shot. Huge threads of metal throughout the tranny and in the pan on the magnet! Gonna be one expensive fix! How it was not felt in the 31k miles since a tranny flush, I have no idea!!! About 2k to have it rebuilt!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea man trannys are expensive, sorry to hear that man, really sucks

Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 PM
tranny shot?

Just wanna ask, did you see the threads of metal, or did you rely on the guys doing the work to tell you so? With that amount of mileage, there will be a good amount fuzzy crap on the magnet in the pan. Hope you aren't gettin fleeced.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Good question, wonderboy. I saw them; even picked one out of the tranny myself that was about 4 inches long, thin, and about the width of a spaghetti noodle. This couldn't have happened at a worse time too.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 PM
never flush a ford tranny!!!

my dealership told me never flush a fords tranny, only drain it and replace filter , but never flush, they have had lots of transmission trouble after flushing, so they don't do it any more, my 2002 didn't have a torque converter drain plug, so a drained pan installed a trans drain plug kit, and after 100 miles drain little more fluid out, add more, drive drain, after 5 times you completely have new trans fluid. easy to do and fix, try it. p.s. do not add the additive for trans shudder, it'll lock your clutches up tight!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
$2200 later for plug install, wire install, filter install, coolant flush, MotorVac injector cleaning, plus the $80 for plugs, 12 for fuel filter, and 110 for borg warner wires, the truck runs like a champ! Whatever was wrong with the tranny was wrong for a long time, as the way it felt prior to now was the way I always remembered it. I guess everything comes at a price, but this sure beats a truck payment! Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BASS ASSASIN
my dealership told me never flush a fords tranny, only drain it and replace filter , but never flush, they have had lots of transmission trouble after flushing, so they don't do it any more, my 2002 didn't have a torque converter drain plug, so a drained pan installed a trans drain plug kit, and after 100 miles drain little more fluid out, add more, drive drain, after 5 times you completely have new trans fluid. easy to do and fix, try it. p.s. do not add the additive for trans shudder, it'll lock your clutches up tight!
I would like to know which Dealer you are going to. Basically, your Dealership is telling you to ignore your service manual.
I have a couple of good friends who work at the largest Ford Dealership in CNY, and I recieved the opposite advice and they suggested that I service the Tranny every 30k to keep it fresh and running smooth like our service manual state's. These are good friends that offer be very good advice and do not have me do service or repairs so that the Dealership can get extra $$$$.
Ford designed and built a machine/system for the Ford Dealership Techs to perform the Tranny flush. I seen the equipment 2 weeks ago when I had my tranny flushed and serviced.
Pretty nice equipment to service a Tranny.
I noticed a "good" change after I had the service completed.
Shifts smoother, quieter etc.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Okay, now the Borg Warner spark plug boot closest to the driver's seat keeps popping off. Finally pulled the plug and the wire out. It seemed like the boot was too tall to get a full seat, so I cut some off and crimped the connector a little. What is odd is that it ran fine for a long time, then all of a sudden kept coming off consistently. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: '98 4.6l with 115K. How extensive tuneup would you do?