overheating issues..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overheating issues..

5.4L 2006 ford f150 fx4. started overheating yesterday when muddin. went to car wash and pressure washed off the radiator (it was clogged with mud). ran it for another 15 minutes or so... overheated again. went and washed the whole engine bay. come to find out, the fan shroud had broken off its mounts, which caused it to lay on top of the fan and burn up the fan clutch. after we replaced the fan clutch, it ran nice and cool while idling (even with a/c full blast). but once you put it on the road, it overheated within minutes. then cowboy and I replaced the thermostat and put in new air filter and new coolant. still overheated within minutes of driving. had to get a buddy to tow me home last night.
then today, i flushed the radiator, motor, and all lines to make sure nothing was clogging them. water ran thru good and clean with no blockage.. I removed the thermo, put in two more gallons of antifreeze and a gallon of water. drove it a few miles down the road and back. didnt overheat. but as soon as i let it sit in the driveway for about 20 minutes with the air on, it started getting hot. cut it off and let it sit for a few, then took it down the street and back and it was already climbing in temp. so now its parked in the driveway and I have no clue what it is... cowboy said to find the engine coolant temp sensor and see if its dirty. i dont know where it is.. im lost on this guys. dunno what the heck is wrong..

Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you put a new thermostat in it or just take it out?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM
put in new thermo last night. but took it out today on the chance that i bought a bad one.. still running hot..

Old 07-13-2008, 10:17 PM
water pump, has to be. radiator is clean, thermo is good...

Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
thats what all my buddies on mississippi-mud.com are saying.. but its not making any kind of noises, and it doesnt overheat while sitting still with air off.. is a water pump change hard to do?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I dont think its hard. engine will work harder with ac on, so that could be why. does it lack any power b4 it starts getting hot?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 PM
yeah. big time when u put it to the floor.. it used to pull hard. now it just pops and acts like its restricted (it has straight pipes and no cats). you have to ease off the throttle to get it to pull.. im trying to put a pic in my signature. heres a link to my myspace page.. plenty of truck pics on there..

http://a415.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...d6b95f9e66.jpg

myspace.com/brogel

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Beau, with all the stuff you've done alreay it has to be the water pump.

aka: Ghost

Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
wheres the best place to find a 'cheap but good' pump ghost?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Well you can get one from autozone for around $45, but if it was me I might spend a few extra $$$ and get one from NAPA or Carquest. I've just had bad luck wiht the zone parts in the past.

Call a ford dealer in the morning and just check ther price too.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
will do.. hope thats the problem..

Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 AM
if its acting like that when its not even hot yet... something is wrong. sounds like its very lean. that would make it get hot. but not that hot... maybe you got it too hot?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
so what do i do? im gonna clean it up real good first then try to diagnose the problem..

Old 07-14-2008, 10:10 PM
no cel? hmm... clean the maf sensor, make sure all your plug boots are dry. if you washed off your engine, chances are there is water down around the plug causing a slight miss fire.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beaurogel81
5.4L 2006 ford f150 fx4. started overheating yesterday when muddin. went to car wash and pressure washed off the radiator (it was clogged with mud). ran it for another 15 minutes or so... overheated again. went and washed the whole engine bay. come to find out, the fan shroud had broken off its mounts, which caused it to lay on top of the fan and burn up the fan clutch. after we replaced the fan clutch, it ran nice and cool while idling (even with a/c full blast). but once you put it on the road, it overheated within minutes. then cowboy and I replaced the thermostat and put in new air filter and new coolant. still overheated within minutes of driving. had to get a buddy to tow me home last night.
then today, i flushed the radiator, motor, and all lines to make sure nothing was clogging them. water ran thru good and clean with no blockage.. I removed the thermo, put in two more gallons of antifreeze and a gallon of water. drove it a few miles down the road and back. didnt overheat. but as soon as i let it sit in the driveway for about 20 minutes with the air on, it started getting hot. cut it off and let it sit for a few, then took it down the street and back and it was already climbing in temp. so now its parked in the driveway and I have no clue what it is... cowboy said to find the engine coolant temp sensor and see if its dirty. i dont know where it is.. im lost on this guys. dunno what the heck is wrong..
beaurogel- I have to ask 1 question- you said you replaced the fan clutch. It's late enough I'm not going to go look at mine now but can that fan be put on the clutch backwards? I have seen that kind of problem in the past more than once and it pretty much does that. OK on idle but when you drive it the fan is pushing air instead of pulling and causes overheating. Make sure when it is running the tip of the blade is toward the radiator in the direction that is turning. Just a thought because this is not adding up.

Quick Reply: overheating issues..