No High-end HP after plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No High-end HP after plug change

I recently had my plugs changed in my truck to Autolite HT15's. Overall the truck does a LOT better on mileage. I am taking 4mpg better. As I am getting about 16mpg now.

The bad part is, my truck falls on its face literally when I hit the higher RPM range. If I tried to kick it down and pass someone, I would have an easier time on a bicycle. This thing is a turd when this happens. I feel no bucking, no surging, no oddball feels. The engine RPMs just go up and I go no where.

Even with my Edge installed and on LvL3 with 93 octance, it falls flat. Stock does the same thing.

Only mods are a K&N drop in filter.

Do I need to take it back to the garage and have them troubleshoot? Or are there some easy things I can check here first.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it could be an issue with the electronic throttle. alot of these trucks are having this issue. some people on here say there are updates for these. my dad has an 06 f350 with 5.4 and torqueshift 5 speed auto. he had this issue everytime we make long trips pulling a trailer. i asked the dealer when i was getting my cruise control recall fixed if there were updates for this they said no, well we dropped his truck off later that day. when we picked his truck up about a week later he couldnt put his superchip back in because the dealer put an update in it and superchips had to rewrite the whole program just for this. we havent taken any trips with a trailer for a while so we dont know if its fixed yet. i'd check for these updates.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson
I recently had my plugs changed in my truck to Autolite HT15's. Overall the truck does a LOT better on mileage. I am taking 4mpg better. As I am getting about 16mpg now.

The bad part is, my truck falls on its face literally when I hit the higher RPM range. If I tried to kick it down and pass someone, I would have an easier time on a bicycle. This thing is a turd when this happens. I feel no bucking, no surging, no oddball feels. The engine RPMs just go up and I go no where.

Even with my Edge installed and on LvL3 with 93 octance, it falls flat. Stock does the same thing.

Only mods are a K&N drop in filter.

Do I need to take it back to the garage and have them troubleshoot? Or are there some easy things I can check here first.

Could the plug gap be incorrect?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well autolites arent ment for ford specs....so that may be the problem...i noticed the same thing when i got the 2 prong bosch platinums..threw some motocrafts back in there...drives like new and yes mpg went up

Old 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I asked what they gapped the plugs at and they told me .45

I will give it another week and contact them. Could be some bad gas.

ON a side note, could my cats be clogged?

I have an Edge so I am monitoring engine and cylinder head temperature. If I am running lean, how much of a difference in temperature am I looking at.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
well autolites arent ment for ford specs....so that may be the problem...i noticed the same thing when i got the 2 prong bosch platinums..threw some motocrafts back in there...drives like new and yes mpg went up
I have had auto lite dual platinums in my truck for 5000 miles with no problems except for a engine knock.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
the older trucks dont seem to care as much what plugs go in them.

try hitting the throttle to 3/4 instead of flooring it immediately. helps me with response time.

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by krazyballer
I have had auto lite dual platinums in my truck for 5000 miles with no problems except for a engine knock.
humm...well idk man my bosch were idleing weird so idk maybe mine werent gapped to the right specs..what are fords .60??

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I asked what they gapped the plugs at and they told me .45

I will give it another week and contact them. Could be some bad gas.

ON a side note, could my cats be clogged?

I have an Edge so I am monitoring engine and cylinder head temperature. If I am running lean, how much of a difference in temperature am I looking at.
dude it could be the bad gas...u might wanna do a fuel injection clean on it..seafoam is my personal favorite..it helped me alot..and pour some of that in your gas tank to clean out your fuel lines and thatll clean the whole fuel system/engine out of carbon build up and all kinds of other stuff....the cats..i dont think thats it dont get me wrong cats that are clogged hurt alot but idk if its the problem and i dont think itll make a difference in temp.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I done some digging around today and found an error code in my Edge.

P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Stuck Closed (Bank 1)

From what I have read is that once you get above 3500 RPMs, you will lose about all your HP/Torque. I don't have my Haynes manual on me for the fix, but I am going to have to drop this thing off at the shop again and have them fix it or repair it myself.

It keeps coming back even after clearing the code. But no CEL is on. ??????

Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I done some digging around today and found an error code in my Edge.

P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Stuck Closed (Bank 1)

From what I have read is that once you get above 3500 RPMs, you will lose about all your HP/Torque. I don't have my Haynes manual on me for the fix, but I am going to have to drop this thing off at the shop again and have them fix it or repair it myself.

strange...i know alot of people..including myself..that after cutting the cats our cel was on then we cleared those codes and they always come back on.except my buddies 99 dodge 1500....wonder whats up with that

Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi had exactly the same error code.

I changed the CMCV that's behind the intake manifold and it solved my problems.

Truck drives ok now

Hope i could help you.

BAST.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
does the cel come on when the key is on and engine is off?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 PM
CMCV.....never heard of that.

No the code was only present in my Edge. It is not been thrown on the CEL on the cluster gauge.

I have sold my Edge and it seems a little better now.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 PM
No the code was only present in my Edge. It is not been thrown on the CEL on the cluster gauge.
the cel is suppose to come on with the key on and the engine off whether there is a code or not. if it doesnt then its not working.

Quick Reply: No High-end HP after plug change