Hydrogen HHO set up Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
And then there are guys on here who make "other" types of videos!
HAHAHAHAHHAA good call man

Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Hho

I have 1998 F150 v6 auto that I bought new. I installed an HHO generator along with O2 sensor extenders. Previous fuel mileage 15.6 mpg. Fuel mileage now is 22.4 mpg.

Mine works.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by sharris
I have 1998 F150 v6 auto that I bought new. I installed an HHO generator along with O2 sensor extenders. Previous fuel mileage 15.6 mpg. Fuel mileage now is 22.4 mpg.

Mine works.
So how many extenders did you have to put on each O2 sensor?
Do you only have to add one extender on one O2 sensor?
If you bought a pre-made HHO kit, did it have instructions for adding the extender?
I've been looking in to doing this, but I'm just not clear on how to install it and get it to work.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the point (and there is no free energy)

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
before i ask my question id like to mention that i know little to nothing about HHO but i do know a few things about computer controlled vehicles and when i read the above highlighted statement a question comes to mind.

we all know that a motor runs on fuel and oxygen it gets from the atmosphere. the level of o2 in our air is only a small percent of what we and our motors breathe in. if the motor is sucking in atmospheric air and the computer adds fuel as needed the motor runs. when HHO is added, higher levels of o2 enter and exit the motor. this extra o2 is pure, not the small percent coming from the atmosphere. if this is correct, wouldnt the motor go lean if the o2 sensors didnt add more fuel? so more fuel is a good thing because of all the extra o2 in the motor. more o2 and more fuel means more power which then means you can take your foot off the gas a little and that is where the mpg gain comes from right?
Not quite.
HHO also consists of hydrogen. The idea is that the hydrogen would supplement the burning of gasoline. This is how you achieve your MPG increase. But you have to re-program the PCM and the parameters it uses to determine how much fuel to add to the mix.
An inerrant danger is that if the HHO generator stops working then you run the risk of losing an engine because you are running lean.

As for free energy, I am not sure why you guys keep bringing this up, but in no way shape or form should this be viewed as "free" energy. That is asinine. It should be viewed as a hybrid assist system and nothing else. Just as hybrid systems depend on the kinetic energy of a vehicle to charge a battery, the HHO depends on the electrical energy of the alternator. If it requires an additional 1.5hp to power the HHO generator, then the next step is to determine how much additional fuel is required to make that 1.5 hp. Lets say it takes an additional 2 ounces of fuel per mile, but the HHO is offsetting fuel consumption by 4 ounces a mile. You have still increased the efficiency in which your vehicle is using gasoline. It is much easier to turn the pulley of an alternator than it is to turn the drive shaft that spins your tires....

Think of this concept. Why not use a small gas or propane generator to spin an alternator that provides power to a DC motor and a battery pack?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Don't bother it doesn't work

My uncle is a tech for Ford and he warned me it wouldn't work but I bought one anyways. Needless to say he was right. He even helped me hook it up to make sure it was done correctly I think he would have liked to have been wrong cause he's trying to improve his mpgs too.

I've driven nearly 1000 miles since we installed it and I think my mileage has gone down. I was getting 11.7 but since the install I'm getting 11.1

This past weekend my uncle and I took my truck to a friend who has a dyno for emission inspections. They looked at it on his analyzer and it didn't even show that it was generating enough oxygen to affect the O2 sensors. Our friend said he has seen several other vehicle with HHO gen and the owners all said basically they hadn't seen any improvement in mpg.
He also pointed out that the units all claim they help the reg fuel combust by providing oxygen..but none of the units he's seen keep the gases separate. In order to do so would require having a tube on the anode to collect hydrogen and another tube on the cathode to collect oxygen.

Something else that made me mad was if you look at the video of guy showing how its hooked up and you see bubbles quickly moving up the tube, well that's all fake. After I hooked mine up those bubbles are from the vacuum pump included with the kit. From what I can tell about 99.9999% of bubbles are air. When you turn vac pump off the actual electrolysis looks like microscopic bubbles, like you see in a soft drink that's been sitting out for awhile

I removed mine and I called the dealer on Monday and Tuesday and left messages to return it. So far I haven't heard from anyone.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Mine consists of a quart jar, 2 stainless steel bolts that act as electrodes, a vent, and a tube that vents to my air intake next to the engine. I installed 1 O2 extender per sensor, both pre-cat.

I dont have a vacuum pump, but I get a stream of bubbles from the jar to the engine.

I have less than $100 invested in the whole thing with 30%+ increase in fuel mileage.

Mine works.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Mine consists of a quart jar, 2 stainless steel bolts that act as electrodes, a vent, and a tube that vents to my air intake next to the engine. I installed 1 O2 extender per sensor, both pre-cat.

I dont have a vacuum pump, but I get a stream of bubbles from the jar to the engine.

I have less than $100 invested in the whole thing with 30%+ increase in fuel mileage.

Mine works.
How does yours connect to power? Are you able to adjust the amps? What turns it off and on?

We put a balloon on hho line to see how fast it made gas. It took like 10 minutes to reach about 8" diameter.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts

Mine works.

You could turn the switch to your electrolysis unit to OFF and get the same results.

All you've done is force the system into a lean-burn mode due to the "O2 sensor extenders" (which are probably nothing more than spark plug anti-foulers....).

Instead of maintaining a 14.7:1 A/F, you're probably above 20:1 - you'd have to install a wide-band sensor to actually see what the true ratio is running.

Running extra-lean is a sure way to ruin your engine if it wasn't designed for it. Whatever money you're may be saving at the pump will be spent in repairing or replacing your engine eventually.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 07-16-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM
I believe what a lot of people are referring to is a scientific principal called "conservation of energy." What the concept entails is that you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in. If you add Hydrogen from another source, ie. from a compressed tank, then you're adding the fuel. If you're getting the Hydrogen from a water source being electrolized (sp?, right term even? you know what I mean) from power the engine is creating while running, you cannot get more power out of consuming that Hydrogen in combustion.

PLEASE do not get me wrong. I saw the episode of Mythbusters, I KNOW Hydrogen would make for a great gas replacement (as opposed to alcohol--which sucks--I mean, they don't send up the shuttle on it, do they? They use HYDROGEN!), but according to scientific laws, the idea of the making Hydrogen, in sufficient quantities, while you drive, to have enough positive effect on mpg as to offset the system initial cost as well as production power loss due to the laws of physics dictating the inefficiencies of it, it just CAN'T work.

I personally wish it would, but like he said in Grumpier Old Men, "...You can wish in one hand and cr@p in the other and see which fills up first..."

Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Alot of people are forgetting about the atom weight differences between typical "air" mixture and hydrogen.

Normal air:

21% Oxygen
78% Nitrogen
1% CO2 and Argon,along with small amounts of other gases.

All of these (except Argon,but its less than 1%) are very close to the same atomic weight,where as hydrogen is alot lighter,this is why is rises when released in the air. You can try and mix it as much as you'd like,but it won't stay homogeneous and the hydrogen is gunna rise to the top in the mix (closer to the spark plug). I don't know specifics, but hydrogen has a higher burn rate and lower required ignition arc power than gas does,so maybe it does have something to do with the initial "explosion" (it would seem like an explosion compared to the burn rate of gasoline) that would help the fuel ignite faster and more evenly.

Now from a mechanical stand point,if your fuel burns faster,you'd retard the ignition timing,and this would reduce loss do to reverse compression (when the initial fuel begins burning,it is producing pressure when the piston is still traveling to TDC,in other words,its working against the rotation of the engine,making it less efficient.

To me,this would say you could make your fuel use less ignition advance and still burn all of the fuel.

edit: I forgot to add,I don't think it would be as efficient at increasing the fuels "burnability" the higher the RPM goes. It would probably help most up to peak torque RPM,then fall off after that.

Last edited by bluevenom867; 07-21-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
z67
hho

I know of three on vehicles today. 1 is a neon and it improved from 28 to 38 mpg. 2 is a Dodge van which improved 4 mpg. The third was a gravel train hauler and it was just put on. He did notice a stronger engine but has not calculated the mpg yet.
I just built one and will be putting it on my truck soon. It looks like it works but I have no idea of the long term effects on the engine. From the research I have done, it looks like it does not have a negative effect??
I am sure you will see and hear about more of these units as the gas price increases.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Water and Plasma. It may not run an engine in the future but it looks like its fun to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Nvb...eature=related

Old 07-28-2008, 04:06 AM
I'm new to this place so let's get the facts out....I'm not with big oil and i don't sell HHO or Brown's gas genterators. I've spent about 24 hours the past few days reading on HHO converstions and the pro's and cons for the past few days. Yes it is true that in modern computer controlled trucks that the hang up is the o2 sensers. Re mapping the table is the answer to leaning out the fuel mixture to allow the HHO+ gas to do it's thing. The objecetive to increasing your mileage is finding a way to 1. getting the engine to breath. 2. making the fuel burn more efficiant. and 3. Reducing the energy loss due to heat. I've modified my 07' 150 by adding the following: K&N Cold Air Intake, Jet Throttle Body Spacer, and Duel Exahust by Master Flow. This improved my HP a bit, my MPG by 1 added mile per gal., and made my truck sound like a Mustange GT. I've been using a 3-3-1 additive in my gas consisting of Xylene, Acetone, and 5w-30 synth oil. This increases the BTU for the gas (we have 10 ethanol in out gas in Oregon) and also helps the gas atomize through the injectors. With all this i'm averaging about 18 MPG up from the 14 I was getting pre Modification. My Father put a single HHO generator in his 99' Tahoe and he is getting 4 MPG improvement. I am putting a 4 generator system in my truck soon but at the same time i'm trying to get the guys at Edge to help me tweek the settings on my Edge Revolution Programmer to maximize the results. I'm not a greenie and i'm not a democrate. I'm just a hard working guy looking to get the most out of my truck and the most out of a buck. For the guys in here that have issues with new or even old technolgies, sit back and let's see what happens. What do we all ahve to loose???? It's our money not yours. If it works a simple thanks would be fine, but to insult, defame, and berate someones oppinion or expierience is just mean and really defines who you are. If it fails... you can crack a beer... scratch your *****... and gloat all you want. I'll let you know how my tweeking goes.. and it will be real because I'm a married man with no EGO... MY WIFE STOLE IT... sorry little bit of humor there.

John

Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Remember what I said above: If you are seeing any increase of mileage using this scheme, it is due to forcing the engine to burn lean (using less fuel).

When you burn out your valves or otherwise damage your engine from this mis-treatment, you'll pay back every penny you might have saved in fuel (and likely more, to boot).

Steve

Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
there is a series of improvements that can be made, a guyi work with has a multi-cell(6 cells) installed on his corolla and has gotten apporx 30% improvement on fuel. the problem i have found with fords is the Mass Air Flow sensor, there is a modification that needs to be done to make them effective and keep check engine light off. I have been building a set-up in my spare time, but i dont get much of that. if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. ShawnJerdon@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Hydrogen HHO set up Yes or No?