Hydrogen HHO set up Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Installing a hydrogen generator on any engine buys you nothing. Unless you intend to remap the PCM for the different fuel, there will be no gains. SWRC is now testing a unit that has addressed the remapping and engine scans are being performed right now. Street testing in several weeks if there are noticable increases in fuel mileage. Expected increase in performance by the lead engineer.....maybe as much as 5%. Claims by the inventor.....200+%. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if there is anything significant about this particular unit. Cost for installation is around the $1500.-2000.00 mark. You can buy a lot of gas for that. I've never seen any hydrogen unit make any difference at all especailly on a modern computer controlled engine. IF, and that's a big IF, there are any gains to be gotten from it, the PCM compensates and cancels it out. My personal view, you can't take a fuel of half the BTUs( read energy) and expect more out of it. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well guys friday we will all know something i have it installed on two trucks my f150 and a 2000 chevy 4x4 friday i will post results of both to see if it dont work we will all know trial and error never hurt. I have not changed anything like my driving habits still have a lead foot so just so you all know i am not changing what i or how i normally drive.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Here's an outfit that is working on complete hydrogen fuel system set-ups that are supposed to be capable of simply being switched back over to gasoline when you're away from your hydrogen generator:

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

As far as gasoline replacements go, hydrogen has to be one of the better ones. Alcohol just plain sucks, with only 80-85% of the chemical energy for combustion that gasoline has. IMHO, hydrogen HAS to be the way to go. There's GOT to be a reason they send the shuttle up on hydrogen instead of alcohol or gas

Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
One more day guys and the results i have to admit by looking at my gauge and compareing to miles driven i have to say better MPG will know tommorrow when i fill back up.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by cw974x4
One more day guys and the results i have to admit by looking at my gauge and compareing to miles driven i have to say better MPG will know tommorrow when i fill back up.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Installing a hydrogen generator on any engine buys you nothing. Unless you intend to remap the PCM for the different fuel, there will be no gains. SWRC is now testing a unit that has addressed the remapping and engine scans are being performed right now. Street testing in several weeks if there are noticable increases in fuel mileage. Expected increase in performance by the lead engineer.....maybe as much as 5%. Claims by the inventor.....200+%. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if there is anything significant about this particular unit. Cost for installation is around the $1500.-2000.00 mark. You can buy a lot of gas for that. I've never seen any hydrogen unit make any difference at all especailly on a modern computer controlled engine. IF, and that's a big IF, there are any gains to be gotten from it, the PCM compensates and cancels it out. My personal view, you can't take a fuel of half the BTUs( read energy) and expect more out of it. I hope I'm wrong.
Not all true. You only have to remap if you are giving the engine very large amounts of HHO gas, such as running an engine on straight HHO no gas involved. Most of the "booster packs" being sold and installed only give the engine enough HHO to enhance the burning of the gasoline. Everyone remember that hyrdrogen isnt the only thing being made and burned. Oxygen is also being produced and I thing we all know how much explosive power is in oxygen.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Ok guys on my 97 f150 4x4 i got an improvement of 3.5 mpg the friends truck which is a 2000 chevy 4x4 extended cab got an improvment of 4mpg i am going to do some adjusting of the drip vavle which adjust the amout of hho into the engine and see if i can get anymore but 100% MPG improvement and wort the 20 dollars to build.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by cw974x4
Ok guys on my 97 f150 4x4 i got an improvement of 3.5 mpg the friends truck which is a 2000 chevy 4x4 extended cab got an improvment of 4mpg i am going to do some adjusting of the drip vavle which adjust the amout of hho into the engine and see if i can get anymore but 100% MPG improvement and wort the 20 dollars to build.
did you buy or built your?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

ya dude can you give some details?

for 20-40 bucks i would put it on my courgar(work car) even if it only adds 1 mpg.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
i built it got the plans from a friend dont know how to add the plans as an attachment but could probably e-mail the plans to you my e-mail is cw19974x4@yahoo.com i wont be able to do it till monday so e-mail me and i will try to figure it out

Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
This is a website that a few of my engineer buddies found.

http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/

It tells you how to build this particular hho generator and everything to do. It even gives you specific part numbers, and pics. The best thing is this guy is letting this information out for free. Two of my friends put a hho generator on their cars and are claiming 3 to 6 mpg's more. It wasn't the smack booster design though. I'm gonna wait until a few more of my engineering boys put the smack booster on their late model vehicles, and run them, before i even attempt to put it on my truck. I'll keep everybody posted on the outcomes.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
ive been reading this thread and thought i might shed some light on the subject.I currently have a 2 cell hho generator on my f150 that i have built my self.it has been on my truck for 1 month now and have seen no results i am getting the exact mpg.got all plans from water4gas i have $50 invested and so far cant say that it works.i was getting 14.8 mpg before i started and now getting 14.9 not impressed but im not giving up working on possible fix will post any results

Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by bigjayzway
I have been considering trying out this HHO system everyone is talking about so much.
I have talked to several people and all think it is a good idea.
Only nobody really wants to be the first to try it!
Has anyone on here tried it, or considered it?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I have considered it. The Hydrogen burns quicker than gasoline so folks say the timing has to be advanced. Folks are also building EFIE devices to fool the oxygen sensors because they say burning the hydrogen makes the oxygen sensors think the engine is running lean and the computer adds more gasoline. I think they also adjust the readings from the MAF for the hydrogen also.

The EFIE and MAF electronics is what has kept me from trying anything right now.

Larry

Old 07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wide Band O2 sensor and TUner Software

Many of the articles mention that on OBDII vehicles, one will need to install wideband O2 sensors and re-program the fuel/air tables. Ergo when the sensor shows x voltage, richen or lean the mixture accordingly. With proper HHO generation, more of your exhaust is turned into water vapor with a reduction in NOX and CO. This leads to a higher content of oxygen in the exhaust. This increase in oxygen forces the stock programming to richen the mix, i.e. negating any effects one would hope to gain. There are alos chips that may be purchased specific to your vehicle and designed to be used in combination with the HHO units. It is my understanding these chips merely fool the PCM into thinking the O2 content is much different from what it actually is inevitably fooling the computer into leaning the mix.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I have always been unsure about these setups. The concept seems good but is there really enough HHO gas production for a V8 engine. I looked at the site usmc0351 posted an that unit can only put out 1-1.7 LPM of HHO. I think it might have a small effect on a V8, but is better suited for a 4 cylinder.

Don't get me wrong I am interested and am waiting for cw974x4 results

Quick Reply: Hydrogen HHO set up Yes or No?