Spark Plug Removal Fascination.....???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only if they had like a automatic ratchet.... Just set it to the max torque and it does the rest and u just leave it there till it comes undone...

Its like braces for your teeth, You dont just pull the tooth instantly where you want it to go, you have to put a constant amount of force and the tooth will move on its own.

I wonder if it will work with a ratchet, pulley and and weight? Grab a beer while your plugs come undone..might take a long time so go buy some more beers

(I dunno where all that came from , im bored)

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I changed mine at 65,500 miles and it runs no better than before. They all came out fine. Wish I had waited till ablut 90,000 but all this talk made me nervous. The old plugs looked great on the tips.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think I'm a freaking nut being so concerned about this. The horror stories are everywhere and in just about every Ford related Forum. I get my mind set to just bite the bullet and have them changed for the Champion plugs to later say what the hell, I'll wait and see what FMC does to rectify the situation. I've been searching this and many other websites for years now trying to see what's the most reasonable thing to do. I've called many to most all the Ford Dealerships in Georgia to see what's being recommended(and I get every answer under the sun). Worst case thoughts have got me checking out other brands to see about just dumping it and trading for something else but to be honest, there's no other gas truck I've found as appealing as this truck for what I need it for. Ford has done nothing to make me or anybody else feel "comfortable" about owning this engine for the next 5 years. Every month I feel my payment to FMC is being dishonestly obtained b/c I'm paying for a truck with issues that are known by FMC and has been swept under the rug for years. This truck has been one of the best trucks I've owned so far but it has given me the most concern of any truck I've ever owned b/c of all the issues with injectors, plugs, phasers, tensioners, e-brakes, etc., etc., etc.. This plug problem has and continues to be a "dam-ed if you do, dam-ed if you don't scenario". Do I play the fool now by testing my luck or wait until 100k and try. It's crazy being FMC has pumped these engines out for 4 years not giving a rat's butt what the end result will be. Part of me wants to wait until 100k just to follow Ford's advice. At least that way, when I go in to have them changed and something does happen, I'll have the most right to rattle the heck out of the dealers cage not to mention personally running FMC in the ground with any and everybody I encounter. I know, threats mean nothing but it makes me feel better tonight. I'm in one of those moods.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I agree Tom. My truck has had none of the major problems some seem to have, yet I have had all the concerns. I do think that running a detergent fuel is a factor with the plugs coming out. My dealer said thaey followed the TSB and had done 9 or 10 plug jobs with only one plug breaking and they retrieved it. That one that broke was on an oil field truck that spent the day idleing and with the odemeter showing just under 100,000, they said it had the equivalent of about 120,000. Their recommendatio was to run a good fuel and change at about 90,000.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Well I just got my 99 F150 rough run looked after thanks to all you good folks. Now I am looking at my 2004 5.4 F150 and have heard about plugs blowing out and the like. I have about 75000 KM on it now. Some say not to take the risk of replaceing the original ones since you run the risk of plug blow out. What's the thought???

Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM
If the plugs break, you have to remove the heads to get them out of the cylinders and then put it back together correct?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Garnet
Well I just got my 99 F150 rough run looked after thanks to all you good folks. Now I am looking at my 2004 5.4 F150 and have heard about plugs blowing out and the like. I have about 75000 KM on it now. Some say not to take the risk of replaceing the original ones since you run the risk of plug blow out. What's the thought???
04+ trucks dont have the plug blow out issue.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The plugs do not blow out of the 2004 and up, the problem is getting them out without them breaking.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Knowing that 04's are safe from blowouts is a big relief. I can live with the "tough to get out" problem rather than the "come out by themselves" problem. Thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Right - and I'm saying that if you want to change plugs every 30k, it's your truck, maintain it how you want. I personally do not, I change them at manufacturer's recommendation or when it starts running bad, whichever occurs first. I won't try to talk people out of 30k plug changes, if they want the extra peace of mind and do not mind paying for it, more power to them.
glc, are you really a Canadian? I think so!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
heck i replace mine at LEAST once a year... i get bored, i change the plugs....

so far though i haven't had ANY problems.. knock on wood though.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Same reason a lot of people still change their oil every 3000 miles. Totally unnecessary with today's engines and oils unless you are using straight dino under severe service. Old habits die hard, when I started working on cars you had to change plugs and points every 12k. When electronic ignitions were introduced, this went to 30k. When platinum plugs were introduced, this then went to 60k.

My plugs and wires did not make it to 100k, by the way. At 82k they were shot.

I also remember the days when 1000 mile oil changes were the norm.
glc you might be older than me. I also remember 1000 mile oil changes.
also remember taking an hour to change points plugs, set the dwell( not gap) and timing

Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Just a question regarding everyone's desire to remove and replace spark plugs in these trucks at 25,000-30,000 mile intervals. While I understand removing the factory plugs (especially on some of the '04 and '05 trucks) to help ensure their removability at a later date, I don't understand why you would do it beyond that (?).

I had the plugs and wires on my '97 Ranger replaced at around 110k a few months back, and can honestly say that I have not noticed one bit of difference in the performance of the truck. In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say that the repair was a complete waste of money.

Am I missing something......???
Yeah. Having owned a 94 Ranger, for the most part, there is no performance to notice in them.

The newer 2.3L and the SOHC 4.0L, sure, but not the Lima 2.3L, not the 3.slow v6, and the pushrod 4.0L was not usually a speed demon.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue150
If the plugs break, you have to remove the heads to get them out of the cylinders and then put it back together correct?
Incorrect, there is a removal tool available if one breaks off in the head, and others have made removal tools themselves.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Knowing that 04's are safe from blowouts is a big relief. I can live with the "tough to get out" problem rather than the "come out by themselves" problem. Thanks
I'd personally rather them blow out than have them stuck like in the 3v engines. A broken plug likely means a cylinder head removal, while a blown plug only requires a time-sert and a few hours of work.

Edit: I guess there is a tool to help remove the broken plugs, but it looks like much more of a pain than a time-sert.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Removal Fascination.....???