New guy with a common problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so do i try thicker oil or just go back to the dealer and tell them that this warranty should get me a new shortblock

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunchbocks
so do i try thicker oil or just go back to the dealer and tell them that this warranty should get me a new shortblock

I don't think theres a cure for that now, after the fact - The damage is done. You can try the warranty thing - I sure would. If thats unsuccessful - I would run try running a full Synthetic oil - recommended weight.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
I don't think theres a cure for that now, after the fact - The damage is done. You can try the warranty thing - I sure would. If thats unsuccessful - I would run try running a full Synthetic oil - recommended weight.
What damage ?? Piston slap at start-up is VERY common on these trucks and is not an indicator of misuse or damage.

My 5.4L 01 'Screw did it from brand new.

My Lightning does it, but not in any consistent pattern ??

Use a good filter (with anti-drain valve) and try the 5W-20 Motorcraft oil. It is a little thinner than 5W-30 so it should flow a bit quicker and help shut it up sooner.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 PM

Really? I never heard that - Brand new! Wow and they told you that was normal? I guess I would have to here what It sounds like. Huh , thanks for the correction B-man.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really? I never heard that - Brand new! Wow and they told you that was normal? I guess I would have to here what It sounds like. Huh , thanks for the correction B-man.
Not so much a correction as different life experiences...

I've read a TON of posts on here regarding piston slap, especially in the 5.4's.

I re-read my earlier post and I must say it came off harsher than I intended.

No harm, no foul ??

Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I had a 97' that ticked/knocked on cold crank up since I first got it with 22,000 on it and now it has 325,000! and still does it and is going strong. Change the oil and filter every 3K!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by B-Man
Not so much a correction as different life experiences...

I've read a TON of posts on here regarding piston slap, especially in the 5.4's.

I re-read my earlier post and I must say it came off harsher than I intended.

No harm, no foul ??

I've heard of piston slap quite a bit - Just haven't heard of new motors with the problem.. Dang , I got real lucky with mine. Mines so quiet - I can here the fuel injectors ticking with close to a 1/4 million miles on it - Yea I'm running those loud type 3 injectors lol.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow , your the first one I ever seen get that many miles using a tin can with cardboard media without dry start prevention. And you did all this using oil that isn't even recommended.

Ford doesn't know sh^t - Motorcaft sucks - Use FRAM filters if you want it to last and what ever you do - DON'T use the manufacturers (Ford) recommended oil , just ignore them - They just want to screw you over - so use anything but

Dude, that's a bit much. I've been using Fram filters since the early 80s and have had almost a dozen cars go over 100,000 miles (new purchases all mine), all sorts of makes and models from 4 cylinder to v-8s, Japanese to domestic with no engine failures of any kind. I've always followed scheduled maintenance intervals and my opinion is regular oil changes are the key, not internet bugaboos like full synthetic oil or special filters.

That being said, I've made the mistake of reading too many of these forums, so much so that I now make it a point to either use Motorcraft, Delco or Wix products. After you read Scary stories too often, admittedly, you do get spooked. I think some things said on these types of forums is pure fantasy and witchcraft mixed amongst very real help and good advice.

The fact is, I've never had an engine failure in any way, so I really dont think the Fram bashing is worth the "paper" its written on.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheCure
The fact is, I've never had an engine failure in any way, so I really dont think the Fram bashing is worth the "paper" its written on.
That's not a fact - That's like saying Ford doesn't know what to run on there own vehicles for the best results.

Why would they even go thru the trouble.

You know - Go against them all you want; Like I've said before - It's your truck and you know best right ? - Ford is just trying to conn us all. I know your not doing because of cost - It might be because you don't like no one telling you what's best / or some screwed up way of thinking like that.

You may have got 100, 000 miles - Lets see if you can get 300,000 miles running those junk filters and valves.

Geeze , they're just trying to help - why rebel

Doesn't make to much sense to me - To each his own....

Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
If Frams were that bad, Honeywell Consumer Products would not stay in business. I agree, they should not be used, there are much better alternatives in the same price range, but they do have to meet specs of some sort. I used Fram oil filters in my old BMW (before I knew better) and had no oil-related issues that I KNOW of. I also understand that their basic line is the only one that is made like crap, their premium stuff is pretty good.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Honeywell's big enough to pad a few pockets. I imagine Fram doesn't have issues in every make - Yea the oil filters are good enough to pass tests most likely - I don't like the media. If you don't put that many miles on your truck , I would make sure you follow a 3 month regimen changing fluid and filter.

But why even chance it when Motorcraft filters cost about the same and are made better?

I really don't know how in the hell they got the PCV valve to pass any kind of testing - That ones way out of spec compared to the Motorcraft. That blows my mind. You would have to compare the two in order to see what I mean.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
But why even chance it when Motorcraft filters cost about the same and are made better?
THAT is a true statement - but it does not necessarily mean that you are going to screw up your truck by using something else.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:11 PM
You get what you pay for when buying oil and filters. I recommend buying the best you can afford.

As for the piston slap, every 5.4L in the 1997-2003 year range when started in cold weather shows some signs of this (at least everyone I've heard from a very cold start up). Mine is real nasty when the temp is 20 or lower. The best oil and filter have had no effect on this that I can notice.

This is a design problem with the engine.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine started around 40-50K best I can remeber...but I can certainly guarantee it is not from neglect!! Mine is a little worse on cold mornings and not that bad in the summer. I'm one of those people that if I know what the problem is, it bothers me a whooooooole lot less, so I deal with it. I think your warranty battle may be an uphill excursion, though. My vote is deal with it. I will tell you using a heavier oil will not accomplish anything.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM

I'm thinking that might have started in 99 on the 5.4L's when they upgraded the heads to PI's. They did change the pistons I beleive in 99 as well.

I haven't had any signs of that in my 98 - I had it since new - It blew up in 2000 - so I do have a Ford reman in it w/239,000 - Truck itself has 270,000.

I'm driving an 01 now (giving the 98 a rest) - but it's only @ 48,000 and I can't here anything abnormal anymore. It had a Fram PCV valve and a Ford Blue oil filter on it when I started using it. I have NO idea what kind of oil filter that was - No writing was on it - it was just solid Blue. Loud starts - Like a loud starter noise. I Installed a Motorcraft valve and oil filter - It took awhile but it's a quieter now - No idea what oil was in it either.

Quick Reply: New guy with a common problem.