i think i got it figured out..sorry for the book

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i got it figured out..sorry for the book

some might remember my posts over the last couple months. ive only been able to work on it on the weekends when i have a little bit of time and a little bit of extra money well i might have it figured out.
ok so to sum it all up this is a list of everything ive done so far.
well heres the list of things ive done since around decemeber this past year.
1. changed fuel filter
2. getting codes p0301& p0305 (#1 and 5 misfiring)
took it to dealer since i didnt have time to fix. they tell me oh its bad coil on #4, wanted to charge me $800+ to switch #4 coil. the other 7 boots on the existing coils and all 8 plugs... yea. right. i took it home
4. bought 1 new cop. replaced it in the #4 position, changed all 8 plugs under a hundred dollars. still having same problem as before it went to dealer.
5. searched on ford forums, decided to swap out all 8 coil packs, did that.. ran a little smoother but still running rough..
6. throwing code p0113 iat sensor.. i accidentally left that unplugged on the intake tube.. oops. plugged it back in.
7. battery is dead from me working on it once a week since i now have a company vehicle. replaced battery which reset the previous code.
8.said screw it i cant fix it.. took it to a local shop just around the corner........ not good according to them

after dropping it off to them on wednesday afternoon, they call me on thursday saying that they found that it has a bad catalytic converter. wanted about 440 to replace and fix it.. luckily they give out coupons in the mail so i had one.. so it would have been like 3something. told him alright whatever just get it fixed. calls me late thursday afternoon saying he didnt feel that was correct and had another guy check it out. come to find out that it didnt need the cat and they were going to keep testing, whatever after discussing money they said it would be no more than what he quoted me for the cat and any parts needed i would be notified... fine. friday(today) 3-7-08 i get a call around 11am, says they found out the problem and asked when i could come down.. i drive down after work, and they explain they had 2 diff. techs looking at it. and they checked this checked that..takes me over to an identical motor out of an expedition they were working on and said ok.. look at this motor. at that point my stomach dropped. he says that mine had no compression in cylinders 1 and 7 and continues to remove the valve cover on the expedition motor.. says see this rocker.. and continues on to to my motor, takes his flash light and shows me through the oil filler that they removed and says you cant see my rocker cause its gone causing no compression in those cylinders and that it was probably from over revving the engine. wtf? i hardly drive the damn truck and i never sat there and revved the motor like a honda full of angry bee's so anyways the manager is like basically my motors f&**ed and that i need a complete new motor costing about $6100. i stopped him to say. 1 i dont have 6100 to buy a damn motor. 2, the truck only has 54000 miles. how the hell does it just disappear. so now i have 18000 worth of scrap ford sitting in my driveway that only runs on 6 cylinders. i came home and switched all the cops and sparkplugs back to the originals. checked my warranty from when i bought the truck.. i bought it used on 2-8-06 and the warranty is good till 2-8-11 or 80xxx miles.. i bought it with 32xxx miles and it now has 54500 miles. now im thinking about it.. he showed me the rocker by cylinder1 was missing through the oil fill tube. but how could he tell the #7 cylinder is the same since the only way to see it is to remove the valve cover, right? and im sure they didnt do that. i think im going to take the truck back to the dealer i bought it from and see if anything is covered under warranty. if not im probably going to have to trade it in along with my wifes car for a single vehicle, i cant afford both payments as it is and really cant afford to be replacing motors in vehicles i hardly drive. does any of this make since to anyone here? sorry to the story, this is a great way to start the weekend. some might not like this but i think this is going to be my last ford.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 PM
first,sorry for all your troubles....hopefully the dealer might help you out
second...wait for some more postings here...but i would just get a used engine...i just saw one on craigs list for 575.00 in my area...you might find something in your local junk yard....or check ebay...you will get more suggestions..there are a great bunch of peoples here...
by the way...for 6,100 $$$$ it better be a built engine...pumping out some RWHP theres no way it cost that much,,,there might even be someone on here selling one in your area...

Last edited by SCOTTE`screw; 03-07-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are writing a book, try using an occasional paragraph.
I am more suspicious than usual of your diagnosis and the boneheads looking at your truck. A coupon?? Get away from them.
Sure, the mod motors will flip off a rocker, at maybe 7,500 rpms! But, two rockers at 5,400 rpms on a nearly new engine is unlikely.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I read your book twice, if it's still under warranty, whats the problem ?

So, the warranty is good until 2-8-2011.

Something doesn't make sense. PO301,PO305.

If you have NO compression in 7 , seems like you would have a PO307 ?

This almost sounds like what happened to my truck when I tried to run Autolite spark plugs. Are you sure they know how to check for compression ? Did they do it right ? The rocker story ? I don't know.

I agree somethings wrong here.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-08-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Can you imagine the racket your engine would have made when it threw the followers? BTW I get upset then the professionals one hires doesn't use the correct terminology. It sounds like you had Dumb and Dumber working on your truck. Take it back to the dealer and have him fix it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
If you are writing a book, try using an occasional paragraph.
I am more suspicious than usual of your diagnosis and the boneheads looking at your truck. A coupon?? Get away from them.
Sure, the mod motors will flip off a rocker, at maybe 7,500 rpms! But, two rockers at 5,400 rpms on a nearly new engine is unlikely.
What's wrong with a coupon, I thought people liked saving money, I say get away from you.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I read your book twice, if it's still under warranty, whats the problem ?

So, the warranty is good until 2-8-2011.

Something doesn't make sense. PO301,PO305.

If you have NO compression in 7 , seems like you would have a PO307 ?

This almost sounds like what happened to my truck when I tried to run Autolite spark plugs. Are you sure they know how to check for compression ? Did they do it right ? The rocker story ? I don't know.

I agree somethings wrong here.
Now this I agree with.

Pull the valve cover and put the cam follower back on. There is a T.S.B. on this somewhere.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
i agree with the whole.. if it fell off i wouldve heard some loud noise...but to be honest with the truck idleing it doesnt sound that bad.. the only thing it is doing is it has a real noticible vibration like its not firing correctly or something and the only noise i hear... is what sounds like the coils firing. other than that i dont think its that bad. im mechanically inclined but i dont want to tear into that far with it being so new and under warranty..

Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What plugs are you running ? And who is "whole"?

What I don't understand , if it's under warrenty, why don't you take it in?

You just took it to a shop other than the dealerership - Don't you know, that right there could void your warrenty.

Like I said before, "somethings wrong here" I'm beginning to think, it's not with the truck..

Last edited by jbrew; 03-08-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 AM
well a little info. first off i thought the warranty was expired being its a used vehicle, yeah yeah i shouldve checked. i found my paper work and i actually have a 5 year 50k warranty. ive owned it 2 yrs and only drove it about 12k miles. i had it towed last night down to the dealer i bought if from , talked to the service advisor told him what was up with it.. said they would do as much as they can, and if they get to where they need help they will tow it over to the local ford dealer ( i originally bought it used from a dodge dealer which is where my warranty is through).
so i get a call this evening and he said that the tech was working on it today and so far they think is has a "dead hole" and theyll continue tomarrow and if necessary he'll ship it over to ford.. im not sure what that exactly is but im guessing a dead cylinder?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did we hear a sigh of relief at the end of your post? Good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 PM
got word today from the dealer, found out that it will be covered under warranty. we didnt really get into details, but the service manager said that they would have to replace the right bank of the motor, i think he mentioned something about a warped head. so they are going to order the parts monday, get em tuesday and ill get my truck back next thurs. or friday which is fine since i have a work truck and my wife has her car. just need to replace my windshield and it will almost be new again

Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
just picked the truck up from the dealer tonight... runs so much better now, anyway here is what is written on the ticket of what was done.

customer states: runs rough, idles rough, vehicle vibrates, idles high in park- just replaced plugs.
upon tear down of right cylinder head found #1 cylinder was clean. rocker arm was laying in cylinder head. intake valve guide and seat was floating in cylinder head. tech replaced right cylinder head and all gaskets, seals, and bolts, reassembled and test drove to verify repair.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by framescr8pintoy
just picked the truck up from the dealer tonight... runs so much better now, anyway here is what is written on the ticket of what was done.

customer states: runs rough, idles rough, vehicle vibrates, idles high in park- just replaced plugs.
upon tear down of right cylinder head found #1 cylinder was clean. rocker arm was laying in cylinder head. intake valve guide and seat was floating in cylinder head. tech replaced right cylinder head and all gaskets, seals, and bolts, reassembled and test drove to verify repair.
Good to hear it's fixed, enjoy.

Quick Reply: i think i got it figured out..sorry for the book