98 f150 4.6 swap to an 01 4.6 questions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 f150 4.6 swap to an 01 4.6 questions??

Hey guys! New guy with a question. I have been reading all the posts on here about 4.6l engine swaps and have learned "LOTS" about my truck that I didn't know before. ( this is a great forum site by the way!!)
I have a 98 F150 4x4 with a 4.6l Romeo with 160,000 kms on it and the engine ran out of oil and seized. (I know, don't let it run out of OIL!) Anyways. I bought a new left over production inventory 4.6l romeo engine from a company here in Canada who gets them from the factory in Detroit. It is a newer model with the PI heads and individual coils for each plug with a stamp on it that says 3/21/2003. The casting number on the old one is F7AE and the new one is XW7E. I have the 2 of them side by side on engine stands to compare them and to swap the parts over. As far a I can see I will have to
-use the old front timing cover.
-use the new intake but change it over to use the old coils and plug wires.
-use the old exhaust manifolds, etc.
One possible problem I see is when I change over the fuel rail it doesn't look like the injectors will line up with their holes compared to the rail location.
Also the new engine's harmonic balancer is alot beefier than the old one.( nothing bolts to it so I think I can use the new one).
I guess what I am looking for is someone who has done what I am looking to do or has experienced some of the things I am trying to do or knows about the part interchangability of these engines.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling.
Brad.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Is the new motor a truck motor ?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just pull the wire harness off of the 98 and fit it onto the 03. You should have 2 brackets for the coil packs. Try and find a place to mount them on the 03 close to where 98 had them. Leave the front covers on their respective engines. Your 98 should have an IMRC valve and I don't think that the 03 has one. Remove it form your 98 and bolt it to the intake manifold out of the way and plug it it. Your 98 has 2 coolant sensors and the 03 has none. The 03 coolant crossover should be made of metal. You should tap it for the two coolant sensors that came on your 98 and swap them over. If I can think of anything else I will post it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will also want a custom tune to get the most power and the best running possible

Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yes it is a truck motor. The 2 engines are pretty much identical looking so I think all the brackets will bolt on in place. The new engine has one temp sensor in the front of the drivers side head. (Is this the coolant crossover you are referring to? and if so where is the other located?) The main thing I am concerned about is the front cover and the fuel rail bolting up. Do you guys think I am going to need to do a custom tune ( I am guessing that is getting the computer reprogrammed?) One last question. Where is the IMRC located and what does it look like?
Thanks again.
Brad

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by bad brad
One last question. Where is the IMRC located and what does it look like?
Thanks again.
Brad
The IMRC is located in the front of the intake, it at the very bottom in the lower manifold. All you see is wires going into it. But your truck is probably equipped with the IMTV, it is in the same location, just is completely diff.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 AM
JMC

Look at #29 in the picture. If it is still on the 03 model just plug it is as it is one less thing to worry about.

The sensor that is bolted to the head is the CHT sensor ( Cylinder Head Temp). it sends a signal to the PCM for temp readings. The 98 F-150 engine uses 2 coolant sensors and a CHT sensor. One coolant sensor to send a signal to the instrument cluster and one to the PCM for engine control requirements. The CHT sensor is for Fail Safe Engine Cooling. At the very least you will need the one for the PCM. That is why you need to tap the crossover for the sensors.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 AM

ONELOWF has a 4six manifold with fitting shown here -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...4.6+ECT+SENSOR

But I believe you'll have to tap a new fitting in on the passenger side of the crossover . You have the plastic w/aluminum crossover right? Yea, I've seen pics of that done somewhere.

I tell you what - I typed in "4.6 ECT SENSOR" in the "Search this forum" box and found lots of info and pics of this conversion and engine swaps. That particular search bar will get you pretty much anything your looking for about the F150.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-26-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol idk the whole deal with the ECT sensors but for some reason ford has been liking 2. 99 contour has one for the pcm and one for the idiot guage.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey JMC. Could you please supply me with the name sheet for the exploded view of the engine in your post? This would really come in handy!
Thanks, Brad

Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 PM

I have an illustrations gallery for anyone to use on this site - comes in handy -

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7538

If you need a specific year parts blow up view and parts list - specify year and just ask

Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 PM
coolant sensor location?

Here is a pic of my old intake. Are these the 2 coolant sensors?[IMG][/IMG]Here is a pic of my new intake. Can I thread one sensor into the port on the right and that be enough or can I connect both plugs to the same sensor?[IMG][/IMG]Here is a pic of both intakes. The heater hose lines are in different places (red plugs) I could run the hose to the front of the new intake or do I need to drill and locate the tube to it's origional place at the back and put the sensor in the front hole?[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks, Brad

Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
JMC

Run a hose to the front for the heater. The one fitting with the black coolant hose should work for one sensor but you will need to tap the crossover for the second sensor.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey JMC. Are both plugs on the front of my old intake coolant sensors? or something else? Do you think I could tie the wires for both sensors together so they would get the same signal? Also, could you please supply me with the name sheet for the exploded view of the engine in your post? This would really come in handy!
Thanks for all your help
Brad

Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by bad brad
Hey JMC. Are both plugs on the front of my old intake coolant sensors? or something else? Do you think I could tie the wires for both sensors together so they would get the same signal? Also, could you please supply me with the name sheet for the exploded view of the engine in your post? This would really come in handy!
Thanks for all your help
Brad

Brad,

The one on the left, driver side, is the engine coolant sensor. Used by the PCM. The one on the right, passenger side, is the coolant temperature sender. Used by the instrument cluster.
The pic is from the 2000 Shop manual.
«Section 303-01B: ENGINE — 4.6L AND 5.4L» «DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION» ENGINE COMPONENT VIEW 4.6L Engine Induction System Components The bottom right corner has A0016107 printed on it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: 98 f150 4.6 swap to an 01 4.6 questions??