pulse plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulse plugs

anyone heard of these before? seems like they might be something to try next time you get new spark plugs.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...23/208168.html

Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Considering the article was written in Jan of 2006 you would think we would have heard more about them if they worked as well as advertised.
Their website has some neat demonstrations.

http://www.pulstarplug.com/

Has anyone tried them?

I think the fact that they are $24.95 each will scare most people away without concrete proof of performance. 200 bucks for plugs!

Last edited by Norm; 02-13-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Every plug we run in these motors are "pulse plugs", whether we like it or not.

Ford coils convert low voltage signals via PCM - into pulse.

That artical points in the direction of a capacitor type plug ? Norms got a link , I'll have to check that out.

Interesting - AD-1's for my motor . Heres the chart. -

Pulstar™ Pulse Plug Model: AD-1 - http://tunertools.com/Pulstar-Plug-A...tion-Chart.asp

So far , I've read a 4-12 % increase in torque. Nothing on power yet.

Ahh, results from the dyno -OCT/07 FORD. - http://newsblaze.com/story/200710110.../topstory.html

Last edited by jbrew; 02-13-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So this plug is going to give me 40 more foot pounds of torque??? Wow! I want some today. If I add that to the ceramic additive shìt that was posted in the engines section I will have a real screamer.

JMC

Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea , the secrets out now. I suffered and read through a Honda forum earlier, where a few have tested the plugs. No one really noticed any power gains - but all said it increased their mileage. It took about a year for the plug to pay for the off-set in extra cost.

But that's a Honda motor, I imagine you still have to wind the rubber band to get anywhere

Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Pulse Plug Group BUY ... only $13 per plug!!!!

There is a GB going on on mazda6club.com They have over 400 plugs ordered so far and because of the high number the price is only $13 per plug. Thats half price, so i'm going to pick up a set for my truck at the same time i order the plugs for my mazda6. My username is thesame bart_r6, so if anyone is interested you can order them through the mazda6 GB and just say i sent you there. They wont have any problems. Hope to see some nice gains for our trucks!!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't laugh to hard about this plug.
I investigated it a year ago and know the technical basis for how the plug is able to generate "greater power in the plug gap" but the cost was too high to trial it.
I did this when investigating the causes of light throttle missing and stumbling due to faulty coils and why they don't set codes.
To understand it takes some deeper understanding of electronics and circuit theory.
The process is not new but only it's application to spark ignition engines.
The theory has been used in hi power pulse application for a long time in other kinds of electronic equipment.
Actually, the coils could be designed differently to take even more advantage of the plug design. Multi spark application could accomplish the same results up to the rpm it usually changes back to a single spark (about 3000) which is a drawback of that kind of system.
My bet is the OEMs will begin the shift toward this type design one day not to distant future but the patent could be a problem unless licenesed to be used..
There has been a drift from single coil, to coil pack waisted spark, now to coil over plug. There are reasons why the drift was taking place. It's an easy step to continue on but the additional cost of making the changes are always a factor.
A lot of people complain now about the cost of coils and trouble shooting, the new 3 valve plugs problems etc. Their not ready to keep accepting new hardware until the problems are ironed out with what we now have.
With a new motor design coming in 09, they may have not addressed this yet or maybe they have.
Don't pass judgment on this plug design yet on the basis of just another claim because it really does have merit.
I'm not telling anyone to run out and get them unless you like to trial and see what they do over the long term.
Originally when I looked at them, an H3 BOSCH plug was speced for the 4.6L, now that may have changed to a custom made plug.
There are other concerns like spark interference with the PCM, audio etc from being so hot, changes in coil design etc that may have yet to be worked out at the the OEM level, long term tested and ready for release.
You all see what has happened to motor oils over the last 10 years, how far these motors will go compared to the push rod motors, the advancements in PCM control etc, so don't write off this possible ignition advance to soon.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I also remember when radial tires were only made by Michelin, were frightfully expensive, and nobody thought they were worth it. Now it's hard to buy a tire that's NOT a radial.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I could discribe this plug acton in terms of time intervals that most people could grasp.
The biggy to it is the capacitor storage voltage that dumps accross the plug gap 'independently' that does not happen with a regular pug.
The present system has the coil driving the plug gap breakdown directly.
The differences is in a quanity known as 'conversion efficiency' between the two types.
Presently the conversion efficiency of coil and plug system is on the order of less than 1%.
Presently the standard plug has a resistance built in the center. This is a nessesary evil and is a limiter of spark power conversion efficiency in favor of a reduction of radiated interference to other circuits.
An optmized system using cap dump technoligy can get well over 10%.
The biggest problem was getting capacitor material that had dielectric strength high enough to withstand 40,000 volts without breakdown.
This was developed by this company and now inporporated into the plug design and a reason the cost is so high, presently.
There is an engineering technical paper written on all this that explains the attributes of the system operation.
Just when one thought things are simple, their not, when analyzed for how they actually operate.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Is anyone on here currently using these plugs....or will i be the first to test them out?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
No, I did see that Pulsestar Plug ad in a mag, but I am in High School, and have no money/guts to try them.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm really considering buying a set, but $200 in spark plugs will take a while to get paid off.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Has anybody tried these plugs? Any word on how long they last? At $25 a pop, they'd better last 100k miles or longer.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
The stock ignition is already pulsed and Ford has a multi spark ignition system. IMHO for the money I would by the factory plugs, no need for a $25 plug that advertises what the factory one already does.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 PM
<sarcasm> Help me with this... Repeated sparks, multiple sparks, longer sparks, capacitive sparks.. </sarcasm> The spark is to ignite the fuel/air mixture. No other reason. One the gas is lit, what benefit is there in lighting it again? Actually, the flame front travels away from the ignition point, so any additional spark would only travel through what is essentially exhaust gas.

I'm old enough to remember the "Wonderful" multiple electrode spark plugs sold by Western Auto. I also remember the "Astounding" invention of the carbon filled plug that created an "Enormous Flame Front". Then, the "Ring of Fire" plugs. And so on, ad nausium. They all disappeared, as snake oil does. Some of the companies make a few bucks, none of the customers gained any mileage or performance.

I'd be willing to bet Toyota has tested these plugs and, if they offered any advantage at all, they'd be factory installed to help Yoda sell more trucks! I tend to think GM and Chrysler have also done tests. Probably even Ford! You really think any of these companies would pass up the opportunity to "One Up" the rest?

Obviously, I won't be spending $200 for these things any time soon.

Flagship

Quick Reply: pulse plugs