PO171 trouble code

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wb8yjf
Excellent. Thanks for the heads up! I'm driving about 40 miles tonight, we'll see if that light pops back on. I already noticed a difference in the way it idles. It was kicking up to about 1700 RPM, now it is back where it should be. Doing the filter and unloading load of firewood, I should see a lil increase in mileage to boot...

I did do a quick eyeball on the vacuum lines, they all seem good. Tight and not brittle. I'm sure I will discover some I missed thanks to this forum.
Yea, that ones a tough one to determine bad. While she's running, grab the PCV line and move it around, - listen for a air leaking sound while doing so.

Sometimes that don't even work and you have to remove and check. Here's what a bad one looks like. -

They develope pin holes over time, but like I said- When the MAF gets dirty, it shoots the same DTC's + it screws up your shifting a bit. That should be cleaned every time you change the air filter. Here's directions -

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Like I said, with those codes , these are what you hit first.

BTW- 700 -750 RPM's is normal "warm" idle. Anything other than that on the 97-03 models = there's a problem. A high idle is a definite leak.

If I were you and your O2's had over 100,000 miles on them, - then change the two forwards ONLY. But use Bosch OEM sensors. I've tried BW's in the past and it brought me down to 9 mpg on the highway. Big difference, use ONLY Motorcraft or OEM components on these modulars or she won't run right.

Just so you understand, - Your O2's still aren't the reason for your lean codes.

Last edited by jbrew; 06-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. on the MAF sensor. Just got back from out of town and will do that today. Light popped on again after about 50 miles. I repair electronics for a living, so I am confident I can get to it without buggering it up. Will post the results.

Thanks again!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Went to the Autozone, and whadda ya know? They have a spray from CRC called Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner. Who wudda thunk it? (p/n 05110)
Picked up a can of that, tore into the MAF, and after figgering out how to get that damned connector off, had it cleaned & re-installed in about 15 minutes. Cleared the codes and so far so good. If all goes good for a few days - I'll let ya'll know.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by malexander52
Bluegrass is right. Take some time, get a 6 pack and get under the damn hood. My 0171 was cleared when I replaced that stupid elbow on the throttle body. This was after I replaced the MAF like a dumba$$.
If your COPs or plugs are bad you are running lean
If your fuel filter is clogged, you are running lean
Don't start throwing parts at the problem to fix it.
This post saved me all the BS you and others went through.

I got the lean bank codes and I'm like, yeah, just read that lets start out cheap to fix this.

I pulled off my PVC tube and it looked good except for the attachment at the back of the TB (very fine cracking lines but it had totally lost its elasticity), so i bought a new PVC hardline for 30 bucks, and i also got about 5 feet of 3/8" fuel hose.

I replaced the PVC tube with new Motorcraft part (complete with new MC pvc thingy), put a new 3/8 line on from the tube to the hose and also replaced several of the vacuum lines on the right side of the TB that ran all over, 4 by my count. For some reason the new PVC hose had a different attachment from the end of the hose to the back of the throttle body. All I need was 2 inches of that 3/8" line. Being honest, i be I could have fixed it without a new PVC line but ....

This is for the 4.6 L Romeo motor, apparently they are different PVC lines for the Windsor. Maybe they gave me the wrong line but the 3/8 hose worked perfect.

PCM reset and 5 tanks of gas later, no codes. Im also getting way better gas mileage for sure.

I was getting horrible mileage prior to fixing this, so i guess the logic is, the puter thinks the banks are too lean from the air leak, then the dial up more fuel spray and your MPG goes out the window?

well it makes sense. Anyow, no more codes and my MPG is better

Last edited by TheCure; 07-17-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
If I were you and your O2's had over 100,000 miles on them, - then change the two forwards ONLY.
Mine have over 200,000 miles on them. I prefer to change mine every 400,000 miles! Btw, good to see you again brew!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by chester8420
Mine have over 200,000 miles on them. I prefer to change mine every 400,000 miles!
chesters back! Where yuh been son??? Chasin spark plugs around or somethin?

I'd wizz on one if it would do any good

Hows she running man, -she still doin it? I found the quarter million mile mark last year.- I guess it's safe to say she's broke in, finally.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Truck's running fine. But I think I might get an F-350.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by chester8420
Truck's running fine. But I think I might get an F-350.
You doin quite a bit work with the truck these days? Do you need a 1 ton ,-or want a one .

Did you get a Bigger Digger ?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like its a need thing to me..

Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Nah, my truck is 2wd. I need a 4x4. I've bogged my truck down so many times this summer, I've had enough. And it's coming up on peanut time. I need 4x4 to pull wagons out of the field. My truck has all the power it needs, but it just can't put it to the ground. I found a F-350 supercrew longbed dually that I like. We'll see how it goes...

Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM
My check eng. light problem turned out to be a vacuum leak in the 45 degree elbow connected to the pvc valve system. Thanks for the info on your like problems, without your help I would have ended up with an expense I could not afford.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Oldguy65
My check eng. light problem turned out to be a vacuum leak in the 45 degree elbow connected to the pvc valve system. Thanks for the info on your like problems, without your help I would have ended up with an expense I could not afford.
That's one of the best perks from being a member to the site.

You can save lots of time, money and it may even keep the hair on your head.

Thanks for posting

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Nah, your O2's are fine most likley. Those codes are generated usually because of a leak, here -

Or a dirty MAF sensor.
Ahhhh, thank you for the picture! I posted on this today, 3-25-10, and wondered if i was on the correct elbow. I thought my hose looked bigger than the one in your picture, but could be due to the insulation?
That elbow plugs straight inline to the back of the throttle body area correct?
And whatever it plugs into has a smaller stem with smaller hose holding radiator fluid, correct?
Just trying to verify for certain. If i pull that suspect elbow off, does it just slide off and will it too spew radiator fluid?
Darn thing, i can barely get my finger back there to even touch it...lol
Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I also noticed, any pics i've found of the pcv line look much thinner in diamter than mine. Mine has like a 1" Diameter foamlike rubber liner....heat shield maybe?

Quick Reply: PO171 trouble code